Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 13:27   #31

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36
Re: My Husband is Nuts... Apparently so am I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What are you looking to spend sailaway (buy & outfit)?
How tall are you and your husband?
How big (weight) are the 3 dogs?
Are there kids or could there be in the future?
You want to go to the Bahamas, anywhere farther afield or just that and up and down the ICW?
Hi!
We're hoping to keep it in the 50-60K range.
Tallest of us is 6'1", 3 dogs = (1) 20lb schnoodle, (2) pits combined weight about 100lbs.
Yes, it is possible there would be kids in the future.
Ideally (and I know this is a stretch) we want to try to do both ICW and bluewater....but since we are still researching and such we may have a hard time filling the bill with that. We like options, especially with so much freedom a boat offers.

ANy suggestions? We are going out tomorrow to take a gander around marinas and brokers and such. Obviously not jumping into anything but it helps us get visual, tactile feel as well as sort of learning....we learn what we like and don't amongst learning the figures....plus it's just fun.
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:44   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My Husband is Nuts... Apparently so am I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj01 View Post
Hi!
We're hoping to keep it in the 50-60K range.
Tallest of us is 6'1", 3 dogs = (1) 20lb schnoodle, (2) pits combined weight about 100lbs.
Yes, it is possible there would be kids in the future.
Ideally (and I know this is a stretch) we want to try to do both ICW and bluewater....but since we are still researching and such we may have a hard time filling the bill with that. We like options, especially with so much freedom a boat offers.

ANy suggestions? We are going out tomorrow to take a gander around marinas and brokers and such. Obviously not jumping into anything but it helps us get visual, tactile feel as well as sort of learning....we learn what we like and don't amongst learning the figures....plus it's just fun.
http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=59129&url=

http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=39384&url=

Coupla examples of whats out there...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:57   #33

Boat: grampian 26

I may be asking the obvious but have either of you sailed before?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 14:31   #34

Ha ha ha ha ha No. We already know we have a lot of prep work. Right now it's research and info gathering.

As to the examples..nice! Curious- I notice a great many folks are recommending the older boats- why is that? Are they better built? Quality? If it's anything like cars, I could understand the older boats may be of better quality, last longer, and have fewer electrical hindrances...???
Old 24-04-2011, 14:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My Husband is Nuts... Apparently so am I...

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha No. We already know we have a lot of prep work. Right now it's research and info gathering.

As to the examples..nice! Curious- I notice a great many folks are recommending the older boats- why is that? Are they better built? Quality? If it's anything like cars, I could understand the older boats may be of better quality, last longer, and have fewer electrical hindrances...???
No.... its because they're in your price range and big enough for 3 + 2.... and any possible guests.... a newer 30 - 37ftr would have you wishing you'd stayed at home...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 15:09   #36

Quote:

Older boats are generally cheaper Initially. But first things first. Go sailing, often and in varying conditions. It has been suggested that a smallish starter boat is a good place to start. Not a bad plan. Consider it a throw away boat that you won't spend a ton of money on and hopefully break even when you sell. There are lots out there under ten grand. It is meant as a learner boat that won't break the bank and determine if you are cut out for the sailing life. You will know in your first season if it is what you truly want. If you do get bitten by the bug you are doomed...... just like the rest of us.
Old 24-04-2011, 15:20   #37

Ha ha ha....good un..LOL* the concern I have with older boats is the amount of rebuild that might be needed..and we have found some reasonably priced new boats, but I'm no clear on their blue water capabilities just yet. It sounds as though one of the primary concerns is the keel (er, the bottom fin thing) but aside from that is engine fuel and fresh water capacity. It's sounding more like trailers and motorhomes as I get into this stuff
I have really enjoyed the shape of the Beneteau models..and recently saw a thread on here where a gent circumnavigated on a Bene 434 (?? As my rusty old memory recalls..).
Again, I really appreciate the time ya'll take for posting responses and such..I feel like a child with all this stuff LOL*
Old 24-04-2011, 15:33   #38

The initial high will wear off and the cold light of reality will begin to shine through. Keep on researching and learn as much as you need to. There will be periods of doubt and second thoughts but i would hazard a guess that many here started where you are now and pulled it off. I'm sure many of them would be willing to share those experiences with you.
Old 24-04-2011, 15:35   #39
Marine Service Provider

One life.............live it
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:12   #40

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

WOW!!!! REALLY??? Yes, I understand that many live on boats and do so very happly. Anyway, I am happy to share my thoughts and experiences which do NOT include living on a boat.

I started sailing on a 30' Hunter with Wifey and 2 kids way back in 1979. The boat was purchased new in the 30K range back then, and that was a huge mistake. We used that boat for about 25 years, most without kids. That boat was just too darn small so finally back aboiut 6 years ago we made the transition to power. We purchased a used 40' Silverton Aftcabin that I poured big bucks into for our comfort. The boat is completely enclosed with canvas/glass, hugh windlass & anchor, 7.5KW generator, 100 gal of fresh water.....and I am midway thorugh designing & building my own water maker that wil provide us with 35-40 gal/hour. It also has A/C and heat via the heat pump.

NO WAY IN #$%^& WOULD I WANT TO LIVE FULL TIME ON MY BOAT. Even at 40' with all the things I have added including a davit crane to lift my equiped dinghy into and out of the water. IT IS TOO SMALL.

How many square feet of living space do you currently enjoy? The outside dimensions of my boat are 40 with a beam of 14 so using those numbers I have 560 square feet of living space...... but we don't! Space is taken up for deck area, the boat is pointy so another huge error in calculating living space. We maybe have 400 square feet. Think about it. Closet space, food storage space, refrigerator and we do have an 8CU foot upright but I dout you will on a sailboat unless your into something in the 40+ range.

Do you like living in the middle of nowhere, on an anchor? How do you plan to travel when on land? Where do you plan to go with the boat? Around here in New England we suffer from very cold winters. OH--- are you ready to go without electricity because there ain't none on anchor unless of course your want to pay $5/gal for fuel to run a generator. Do not overlook laundry either.

Yes there are safety issues but I think most people can adapt to learning how to address safety but how about learning to haul water in gerry cans to a boat at anchor with ziltch for electric power. Your original post gives me a solid impression that you are a very wise person.

My advise is to go veeeerrry slooooowly. Rent a boat for a few weeks AFTER taking safety courses and sailing courses. Just my thoughts----

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:25   #41

Boat: Island Packet 35
Congrats on catching the sailing bug! I and my wife are relatively new to sailing but after going through what you are going through we learned alot.....below is a snapshot that I think may help.

Classes help, although not neccesary, to shorten the learning curve. You're sailing instructors can answer the weird questions that come up underway.

Size matters....Too small and it becomes camping. To big and everything gets more expensive (slips, insurance, and maintenance (a boat will nickle & dime you big time).

You're taste will change as you're experience grows. We fell in love with performance cruisers and hated traditional style boats in the beginning. Then after many years of chartering, being members of SailTime, and shopping we decided to get serious and buy. We actually realized a Island Packet 35 was our perfect first boat.

Patience with each other is a absolute. Make sure this something you both want...a sailboat of any size will illuminate everything in your marriage. Men and women learn and do things differently. For a good marriage it is heaven....but it can be a test for any marriage at times.

Lastly, communicate...communicate.....communicate.....

Good luck in your adventures...I have no doubt it will be amazing!!!!!
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
May I suggest that with 3 dogs... and the hubby... you look at some cats in your price range.... Gemini's etc.... definitely better dive boats than mono's and ideal for the Bahama's
I think the dogs are plenty...why get cats? I don't think they'd get along 
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:49   #43

Boat: Prout 46

My wife and I bought a 46 foot monohull several years ago and moved on board with our Jack Russell and cat. We had never sailed and had never owned a boat before. A few years later we were cruising in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Today we have a 46 foot catamaran and 4 whippets. Just as with our other boat, we looked for one that would be not only dog friendly, but dog safe. We use Textoline panels between the toe rail and the first lifeline all the way around to keep dogs (and us) from slipping over board. The dogs wear flotation when we are offshore as well as reflective collars with our boat's name on them and "Safety Turtle" transmitters which activate an onboard alarm if a dog goes overboard. At anchor, we deploy a "Paws Aboard" dog boarding ladder to assist any intentional or unintentional swimming dog in reboarding the boat.

Most Caribbean islands are dog friendly (Bequia being a major exception). The Bahamas are great for dogs because there are so many small, deserted islands they can run on and won't get lost. Take your dogs and GO FOR IT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berry1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	26558  
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:33   #44

Boat: In between boats. Last boats;30 S2, 37 Endeavour, 30 Souverel. Currently looking for 40+ catamaran

Us too -in a big way. Our youngest of four is graduating high school next month. We recently sold our home in Miami. We have an offer on a boat in Tortola and our going down next week for a sea trial and survey. Then sail her back and liveaboard in Coconut Grove, FL with our three year old Jack Russell. It has been confirmed by our friends who say "you two are nuts".. We are loving it - finally pursuing our dream.
Thanks for posting there are some great responses
Saillovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 20:45   #45

Wow these are great stories! Lots of info too! I love the dogs! The cats (literal cats LOL) on a boat crack me up. Something about massive amounts of water and a cat......but then there are fish in that water...so maybe.....

Its really interesting to see folks who have had to go 0-60 on the learning curve with a sailboat being their first boat- WOW.

I've been trolling the forums about boat types which are best and some miscellaneous experiences...great stuff..many with great humor..
BTW- I believe that story about onbaord training said that dogs get seasick? Any experiences with this? I had never heard such a thing before...

At any rate...neat stories- keep em comin folks...