Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 19:17   #1

Much Thanks

Thank you all for allowing me to be part of your forum! I am a 53 y/o man born and raised in Port Aransas Texas. For many years I have wanted to do some coastal sailing as I write my poetry. I now own a 1983 Skipper 20. Although its quite small its all I've got and I have come to the conclusion that before I wake one day to find out I am no longer able to pursue my dream, I better get on with it. I am planning to sail from Port Aransas to Panama City Florida to visit my son and help him to repair some hurricane damage then would like to continue on to the Keys of Florida. Crazy as it may seem, I'm gonna pursue my dream while I can. I would be honored to accept any and all advise as long as its not anything to discourage the pursuit of my dream, "Please"! Yes I would love to be able to afford a bit bigger boat but that is not possible for me at this point. Thank you all for allowing me to share my dream. May GOD Bless each of you! Trey
S/V Valhalla
May we meet offshore!
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:43   #2

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Much Thanks

On paper, it seems in the right hands the Skipper 20 is a very capable vessel. It also looks very sensitive to loading. You would have to be careful to keep the cockpit sole above the water line when loading up for a long trip.
Luckily you can take the ICW most of the way and if you chose to sail coastal there are a lot of spots you could dip back inside if you needed to. One of the benefits of 2 foot draft.
One thing that worries me about that boat is access to the bow. Climbing atop the coachroof in any sort of weather looks dangerous. Can you reach everything from the forward hatch?
What is your sailing experience and when are you planning to head to Florida?
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 21:16   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard treyolsen! Having sailed with a friend in his Signet 20 down the California coast and around the local islands I know these things can be done. My only suggestion is not to give up on seeking a larger boat, since there seem to be many all around that are quite inexpensive, if not free. Even if you just went up to a 24 or 26 footer, the added speed and room could make the trip more enjoyable and more easily and safely doable. In any case, pick your weather well, I wish you fair winds all along the way!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 21:28   #4

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

No such thing as a free boat and no boat is better than the boat you already have.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 00:42   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Howdy and welcome! Be careful and go for it! I've lived all over the world, and one of those places was just up a piece from Port Aransas...used to go deep sea (ish) fishing with my dad from there when I was 13
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Trey.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 21:26   #7

I have a tentative departure date around January 1st weather permitting. Remember this is "My dream", so why not live it right? I have done quite a bit of local sailing both inshore and offshore up to 30 miles out of Port Aransas on this Skipper and I used to own a 1978Hunter 26 here in Port Aransas as well. Though I've never traveled any distance I have lots of Faith and too know that GOD will be my first mate! I just want to pursue this dream of mine before my life reaches a point that I am not able to be it for health reasons or whatever. Though I do not have lots of money to pursue this dream I hope to be able to maybe find some work along the way and if the work pays money, Great but if there's no cash money along the way "so be it", I will have the honor of knowing I have helped people along the way. I truly believe in doing for others and have o motto of "doing something for nothing"! I look forward to meeting people along my journey and hopefully sharing some of my poetry with others who may enjoy my style of poetry. I would like to think that maybe along the way maybe I can find a boat that I could earn, work off payment of, trade honest hard work for or maybe even just help someone fix up their boat who maybe can't do it on their own! I am very willing to work and work hard. I am a carpenter by trade and am not afraid to help people expecting nothing in return. Too I have a very good work ethic so hopefully I will cross paths with someone who will appreciate some honest "Free" help. I am so excited to cast off in search of my happiness! I say to people everyday that "Its the journey, not the destination"! Thanks so much to all of you who have welcomed me to this forum and May GOD Bless each of you! sincerely, Trey
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote