Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 07:26   #1

More than I can chew...maybe

Greetings from Texas,
So I am currently going through a real life Captain Ron type scenario lol. I inherited a boat that is in rough shape but floating. I am excited about this endeavor as i can see this beautiful boat as it should be not as it is. The boat is docked about 5 hours from where I live so I have to gather as much info as i can and plan a trip to go test theories, put information to use, and of course spit & polish along with lots of elbow grease.

Here are my immediate problems (listed in priority):

1. I have no idea the manufacturer is. I dont even know where to find it. I have two totes full of paperwork but none of them seem to be regarding the boat. I did find a plumbing diagram for an Ericson 35. An image search for an Ericson 35 revealed that my boat is not an Ericson 35.
2. I don't know where to look for/purchase replacement parts for a boat that I dont know the manufacturer.
3. I know nothing about sailing lol. I have a lot of things to do before i am able to consider leaving the dock.

I hope the pictures uploaded. I only got to snap a quick pictur as I was leaving to come home after vacation. I found out about my inheritance with 2 days left on vacation. If anyone can help identify my boat please inbox me. I know the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1380660338703277.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	175009  
CptCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:28   #2

Re: More than I can chew...maybe

I just realized the entire boat was not captured for me in this picture. All that is missing is the aft state room. There are entry ways fore and aft in the cockpit.
CptCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCody View Post
I just realized the entire boat was not captured for me in this picture. All that is missing is the aft state room. There are entry ways fore and aft in the cockpit.
looks like a Morgan Out Island.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:35   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

So it's a center cockpit...

Anyway, there may be a hull identification number (HIN), often on the starboard side of the transom near the top... and that will contain a three-letter code for manufacturer... then some more about model number and when built. Once you have that, you can often look up the rest to translate the model code, etc.

And/or some of the paperwork you have may include certificates of documentation (in the US, that be a USCG document) and/or a registration (in the US, that'd be a State paper).

-Chris
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum CptCody... and welcome to the wonderful world of boats...
More details about the location and perhaps one of our members near there could help you make some assessment..
More pictures please when you get a chance...
Exciting times!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:40   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Here's a little more info regarding finding a HIN on your boat.
Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Given your situation, I would suggest hiring a marine surveyor to get an impartial report on the boat's seaworthiness.

Nothing wrong with a project boat, if that's what you want, but you should not proceed without some assurance that the investment of time and money will be worthwhile.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:12   #8

I cant tell what model boat that is. I dont think it's a Morgan. It may be home built. At any rate, for parts the model/manufacturer of the boat doesn't matter much for sailboats. The hardware. pumps, engines etc etc are made by other manufacturers and then the builder chooses what to put on the boat.... and it may be different from boat to boat.
You dont have a title to the boat? More pics would be helpful.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

First step you have to determine how much of a project this is. Cleaning and TLC or major overhaul?

Second, what is the boat? Is it a cheapo that you could buy easily for less than you would spend in a major overhaul or a high quality boat worth restoration.

Next, how long will it take you to get it in shape (it will take twice as long as your best estimate and I'm not kidding), how much it will cost not only in parts and repairs but in monthly storage or dock costs.

If it looks like the boat will take a good bit of work you either have to move the boat to your or you to the boat. Commuting 10 hours round trip will kill the deal very quickly or triple the time it takes to do the work.

Finally, make a very honest appraisal of your DIY skills. How are you as a carpenter, plumber, electrician, fiberglass, rigging..... If you pay a boatyard to do the work it will cost way, way more than the boat is worth unless you got a Rolls Royce quality boat that needs just a cleaning and bottom paint.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I cant tell what model boat that is. I dont think it's a Morgan. It may be home built. At any rate, for parts the model/manufacturer of the boat doesn't matter much for sailboats. The hardware. pumps, engines etc etc are made by other manufacturers and then the builder chooses what to put on the boat.... and it may be different from boat to boat.
Exactly. See this kind of question all the time. I just bought a Catalina/Beneteau/Morgan/etc and I need a manual and where to buy Catalina (or whatever) parts.

A lot of newbies don't understand that 99% of the stuff on a boat was made by company that makes than kind of gear. Engines you call Yanmar or Perkins or whoever. Winches you need Lewmar or Barlow or whatever parts. Pumps from Jabsco or Par or .... Electronics from Garmin or Raymarine or ....
Old 07-08-2018, 08:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Cody! Welcome Aboard CF!

It is possible you have a Morgan Out Island (OI). The hard dodger that is in the center cockpit would have been added on by a previous owner, so overlook that when trying to identify your boat.

They were built in a few lengths/sizes.

Here is a link to the Morgan OI 36.
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Here is a link to a page that has a list of all of the Morgan Out Island boats (various lengths), and has info on the designer and brand.
Sailboats built by Morgan Yachts by year on Sailboatdata.com

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new adventure!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't think this is an OI. The hull does turn in over the rub rail which is the classic OI look but the leading edge of the cabin trunk is too high and too far aft.

Also the hull over the rub rail tapers to the bow and the OI stays more a constant width.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:05   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
A lot of newbies don't understand that 99% of the stuff on a boat was made by company that makes than kind of gear. Engines you call Yanmar or Perkins or whoever. Winches you need Lewmar or Barlow or whatever parts. Pumps from Jabsco or Par or .... Electronics from Garmin or Raymarine or ....
^^^^This^^^^ It is just like an RV, a shell built by someone then filled with other vendors parts.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37   #14

Hello, Cody and welcome :-)!

Others have already told you that boats are not like cars - it's totally irrelevant who the manufacturer is when you go shopping for "spare parts", so don't even worry about that.

Presumably the boat is already registered/licensed, whatever is required in your jurisdiction. If you inherited the boat the change of ownership (title) is legalized by the probate, and all you have to do is amend the registration/licensing date with the relevant authority. For that you will no doubt need evidence of change of title. Whoever probated the will in question can furnish that.

So now you have a boat of the very best kind for a total novice. What you do with the boat and where you go from here depends on you, not on the boat. If you want to become a sailor, you go one way, if you don't, you go another way. The make of the boat is not a factor in that consideration. Neither [sez this 'ere 'eretic :-)] is the condition of the boat - as long as it floats. It's what I call a "frozen snot" boat, so it'll take a lot of neglect to make it NOT float! Wooden boats are, as someone said, on life-support from the moment they are launched at the builder's yard. Frozen snot boats you have to ASSASSINATE!

I'll assume you want to become a sailor. A fellow called Don Casey will tell you that then there are eight (and only eight) "disciplines" you need to have, or acquire knowledge in. Not expertise - just knowledge :-)! Listed in the order you will come across the need for them, they are:

1) Fireglass work
2) Rigging work
3) Mechanical work
4) Carpentryand joiner work
5) Electrical work
6) Plumbing work
7) Painting
8) Sewing.

Since the boat is afloat, you can just make mental note that these skills can be acquired as you go along, and you can begin to sail the boat right now.

Just how you do that will depend on your personal situation and experience about which we know nothing other than you say that you are a novice. So let's get you started: Have you ever been in ANY kind of boat before?

Lot's of people have taught themselves to sail. It is NOT difficult. Don't pay attention to advice that tells you it is. Basic boathandling I can teach you in a weekend, and that will be enuff for a little while. Becoming a skipper is a whole different thing, and that takes a lifetime. But you don't need to be a skipper - yet :-)

So just hang around this forum and ask SPECIFIC questions (rather than general ones) and give specific answers to specific questions we may ask you. There are lots of people here who will be happy to help :-)

Best of luck! On second thought: Don't depend on luck ;-)!

TrentePIeds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:34   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If there are vinyl letters and numbers stuck on the sides of the pointy end (that's the bow, pronounced like "bow to the queen" not "bow and arrow") then it has been state registered and if there are no registration papers on board (there should be a binder or folder with vital papers in it) you can request that information from something like a state motor vehicle department.

If there are no letters and numbers on the bow, but there is a name and hailing port painted on the transom (the back end) then it is probably USCG federally documented and that information can be obtained from the helpful folks at:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/
Who also do a wonderful job on the phone.

If the boat was built in 1972 or later, there "should" be a HIN on the upper right corner of the transom, but on older boats that has often been worn or obscured. It may also be marked in a hidden place (behind a cabinet, under a tank) in the boat, and there should be a formal plaque or carving that says something like "No. ABC1234567..." somewhere in the boat, if it was documented.

Please be aware, even be paranoid, that unattended boats often have problems with mold, mildew, bugs, and SINKING, and these can create huge issues and costs. If you know nothing about boats, you need to find someone there locally to go over the boat with you, to check for immediate issues, and then to make a point of coming up to speed on that very quickly. Typically, the bilge pump needs electric power to work, so if the power (and batteries) or bilge pump, or water hoses, have any failure? That's a big problem.
Boats can be a lot of good things, but they don't like being ignored or neglected.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote