Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 10:49   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: More than I can chew...maybe

It might help to attach better pics of hull, cockpit and cabin. Also identifying elements, such as pin strip bow & stern markings or cabin markings, mainsail insignia (found at the top) these are all clues. Measure overall length and beam would help too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:36   #17

Thank you all for your responses and help with this matter. As of right now it is costing me absolutely nothing except time as the Marina has allowed me ample time to decide whether I want to take on this task or walk away from it. I havent been through all the paperwork that I pulled off the boat yet so but so far its just been user manuals for all the electronics on board and documents of a boat named "Blue Dolphin" that passed through the Panama Canal in 2000. Unfortunately the boat there was listed overall length at 42.26 and i dont think my boat is much over 38ft.
As for the trips to the boat, it is in the town i spent every summer of my life since I was 3 years old so its like going home. I did find another picture i took and will post it here. Again ty for all the info provided thus far. I know boats left to themselves often become more headache than they are worth but I have to try.
Cody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_162404.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	175026  
CptCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 13:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCody View Post
documents of a boat named "Blue Dolphin" that passed through the Panama Canal in 2000. Unfortunately the boat there was listed overall length at 42.26 and i dont think my boat is much over 38ft.

Cody
It's possible that 42.26' is the length from the front of the pulpit on the bow to the back of the dinghy davits on the stern.

The title of course should have the type of boat on it. Assuming the boat traveled internationally, it probably had a coast guard number - which you can also use to look up the type of boat on the coast guard website:
https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

btw... what's better than a real-life Cap'n Ron situation??

Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:28   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cody-
Boats are measured with a rubber ruler. As Peregrine said, it is easily possible. A nominal "38" foot hull could be 38'11" overall, another 16" of bow rails extending forward, and a couple of dingy davits extending another 18" behind it. All of a sudden..."38" becomes "42". And notoriously, marinas charge by the actual footage when you rent a berth. If there's an anchor in the bow rollers and it extends forward another foot, you pay for that extra foot as well, unless you pull the anchor off. (Some are more generous and liberal than others, yes.)

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/web...ssel_name_list

There are forty vessels listed under the name "Blue Dolphin" currently. And that's just the ones with current documentation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:42   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
More than I can chew...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Given your situation, I would suggest hiring a marine surveyor to get an impartial report on the boat's seaworthiness.

I strongly suggest this, find out what you have first, she could be a gem, or not. You need at least a list of things that need doing, some more important than others. Going to cost you $700 to $800 I guess cause you want an out of water inspection and sea trial. But until you get a Pro to inspect you don’t know what you have, and you’ll need his inspection to get Insurence most likely anyway.

RE length, I have an IP 38, I’m in a 45’ slip and stick out a few feet, marina isn’t happy, but I told them before I got here that she is big for a 38’. I was berthed beside of another manufacturers 40’ boat, both our anchors were dead even in the front of the slip, and her stern came to about the middle of my cockpit, I should have taken pictures but didn’t.
To be fair the IP 38 is 38 ft of deck, not counting pulpit etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Cody-
Boats are measured with a rubber ruler. As Peregrine said, it is easily possible. A nominal "38" foot hull could be 38'11" overall, another 16" of bow rails extending forward, and a couple of dingy davits extending another 18" behind it. All of a sudden..."38" becomes "42". And notoriously, marinas charge by the actual footage when you rent a berth. If there's an anchor in the bow rollers and it extends forward another foot, you pay for that extra foot as well, unless you pull the anchor off. (Some are more generous and liberal than others, yes.)

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/web...ssel_name_list

There are forty vessels listed under the name "Blue Dolphin" currently. And that's just the ones with current documentation.
Hellosailor you have found one of the missing pieces. Thank you so very much. Following your link & having a local friend near where my boat is docked...i put the coast guard data base to work. I couldnt remember if the current name of the boat was Texas Star or Lone Star. I happened to catch my friend as he was about to leave the marina and he confirmed it as Lone Star. USCG has a boat registered as the Lone Star, hailing port as Freeport,Tx (where my boat currently is docked) with the previous name of Blue Dolphin, a previous owner by the name of Joseph Sheridan...whose name is on the documentation for the passage through the Panama Canal.
I guessed at the size of the boat. USCG lists it at 44ft long. It gave me an hin number but the letters do not seem to correspond with any manufacturer. Again thanks for everyone's help so far
Old 07-08-2018, 19:20   #22

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

XTY is Ontario Yachts

Manufacturers Identification

Sailboatdata shows a 38’.

ONTARIO 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The uscg doc will reflect what was on that application and may be off

The doc center in West Virginia May be s good resource.

Not sure. Maybe a modified version of the coach roof??
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 20:05   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
XTY is Ontario Yachts

Manufacturers Identification

Sailboatdata shows a 38’.

ONTARIO 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The uscg doc will reflect what was on that application and may be off

The doc center in West Virginia May be s good resource.

Not sure. Maybe a modified version of the coach roof??
Interesting looking boat.. more pictures please..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:05   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cody.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cody-
The folks who answer the phones at the Vessel Documentation Center are incredibly good folks. If you are not sure of the information, give them a call, explain the circumstances, they will be glad to go over it with you. And if it is necessary to issue a duplicate certificate of title (documentation) or to have the estate supply any paperwork, they may also be able to tell you what's possible or needed for that.
If you do decide to keep the boat (and a great deal of that may depend on what a surveyor says about the condition versus costs) it is very much worth keeping it documented with the USCG, even if you have no plans to go out of state with it. The active documentation ensures a future buyer that there are or aren't any liens on the boat, making a sale easier with the clean chain of title.

Untitled Document

This is the USCG page for Ontario Yachts Co. Ltd, complete with phone number. It appears they are still in business, and given the HIN they can probably tell you exactly what you've got.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cody, since the HINs do start with three letters, maybe the "9" is something else. B?

YBC THE GRENAGER GROUP INC 150 TREMONT ST PO BOX 55 CHESTER NS

YCC YACHT-CRAFT CORP. 551 W. CROWTHER AVENUE PLACENTIA CA

See Manufacturers Identification
and look over the existing "Y" listings, etc. for anything that seems it might be a clue.

If there are any cove stripes (stripes on the side of the hull, usually 6" or so below deck level) often they are distinctive to a manufacturer, i.e. they may start or end with an arrowhead or have a break with a star...if you can post pictures of that, or any distinctive design work, that might help others identify the boat. Unless some paperwork turns up a better clue.

Sometimes a picture of the HIN, taken in angled light, or a pencil rubbing, makes it more legible. Sometimes, it has simply been polished, painted, and sanded over too many times. Or, it has been outright forged at some time in the past and really is meaningless.

Poke your head behind and under whatever you can find, including behind the fuel tank, inside any cabinets, etc. Sometimes the HIN has been written on intentionally unseen parts during the assembly process.
Old 01-09-2018, 14:05   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If there are vinyl letters and numbers stuck on the sides of the pointy end (that's the bow, pronounced like "bow to the queen" not "bow and arrow") then it has been state registered and if there are no registration papers on board (there should be a binder or folder with vital papers in it) you can request that information from something like a state motor vehicle department.

If there are no letters and numbers on the bow, but there is a name and hailing port painted on the transom (the back end) then it is probably USCG federally documented and that information can be obtained from the helpful folks at:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/
Who also do a wonderful job on the phone.

If the boat was built in 1972 or later, there "should" be a HIN on the upper right corner of the transom, but on older boats that has often been worn or obscured. It may also be marked in a hidden place (behind a cabinet, under a tank) in the boat, and there should be a formal plaque or carving that says something like "No. ABC1234567..." somewhere in the boat, if it was documented.

Please be aware, even be paranoid, that unattended boats often have problems with mold, mildew, bugs, and SINKING, and these can create huge issues and costs. If you know nothing about boats, you need to find someone there locally to go over the boat with you, to check for immediate issues, and then to make a point of coming up to speed on that very quickly. Typically, the bilge pump needs electric power to work, so if the power (and batteries) or bilge pump, or water hoses, have any failure? That's a big problem.
Boats can be a lot of good things, but they don't like being ignored or neglected.
These are excellent points.

Do you know the last time the vessel was sailed? If it has been a very long time, the bottom is probably a mess. Other issues of neglect could bite you as well. You might consider hauling it out to commence inspection and work. It can’t sink on land and you will have access to everything. For its age, I would be inspecting for old age damage to the hull, blisters, rudder, keel and keel bolts, through hulls, zincs, barrier coating, chain plates, rigging.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:33   #28

Thank you for this info. I am definately first and formost trying to identify the manufacturer as well as just clean up the unattended mess. Once i have reached a point of the "garbage removal" completed. I plan on spending the money to get her out of the water have it surveyed and see where the dust settles at that point. I have found a local place that will do it for $9 a foot and let me work on it. And am currently looking for a survey company. I realize that hauling it out of the water & having it surveyed wont be cheap but if i can do that for $1000 vs dumping $5000 or more into fixing one thing after another on a worthless boat then it will be a good investment. A neighbor at the slip told me he thought the boat was a Yorktown 39. Some research has stated that the kit boats were crap but the ones that werent kits were fairly decent. I believe that if mine IS a Yorktown boat it was not a kit as it has a placard attached saying it when it was launched and the "mas gusto" design. Maybe the knolwedge of it possibly being a yorktown boat will help decipher the hin. I just dont know how to look for it.