Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 02:40   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Boatman

Ok, got the message. And I understand that my budget may seem high for guys like you, but I only have normal North London living costs, and leisure sailing on the UK south coast to base my estimates on.

Most importantly, it seems like I may be able to escape in a few years time if I can secure my income.

Can I just ask you though, what size of boat were you living on to manage on sucha small budget, and did you ever go in marinas?

Cheers
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garold View Post
Boatman

Ok, got the message. And I understand that my budget may seem high for guys like you, but I only have normal North London living costs, and leisure sailing on the UK south coast to base my estimates on.

Most importantly, it seems like I may be able to escape in a few years time if I can secure my income.

Can I just ask you though, what size of boat were you living on to manage on sucha small budget, and did you ever go in marinas?

Cheers
Hi... I was living on an Oceanis 331.... in the Caribbean I anchored everywhere only going into a marina for an occasional night to access Laundry and Water/Fuel top ups when needed... average twice/mth.
Azores anchored in Horta... Marina was full so permitted otherwise you have to go in ... Terciera... Anchor... Portugal I anchored 90% of the time... went into a marina to leave the boat in a safe place while I did a delivery... 420euro for the month... it was high season tho'...
Ate ashore coupla times a week, otherwise cooked on board.. foods cheap compared to UK.... Minced Beef.. 0.99euro/lb.. local beer..1.35/6pk.. I could go on... If I ate fish and caught my own it could have been cheaper, but I cant stand the stuff....
I'm not saying I would not have liked more money to spend... who would'nt... but I was far from suffering hardship...
Hope your plans pan out...
Phil

PS: I should also point out where you sail also affects your Budget...
Inside the Med is more expensive than outside... many of the old anchorages have been closed... and thats the key for cheap cruising.... others have/are trying to use the Salcombe Technique... charge the same for swinging of your own chain as of a mooring.
Portimao was closed for quite a while... Dredging being the excuse... despite the anchorage being well to stbd of the main channel... its now open again

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 15:37   #18

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Had a look at your youtube slideshow mct, what did you use to make that globe with the route? Not bad..
Old 10-02-2010, 15:32   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
kind regards,
Old 10-02-2010, 16:42   #20

Boat: Maxim 380, Stingo II
Send a message via Skype™ to GringoOnStingo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garold View Post
...As for budget, it's hard to know what the average cruiser (Med &/or Carib with marina and anchoring mix) manages on during an average year...
Many years ago, in 2004 IIRC, and when I originally set off cruising, I asked the same question. This is what I found: Cruising Budget
GringoOnStingo is offline   Reply With Quote