Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2008, 18:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau/Moorings 432
Marshall Islands

Just signed up in hopes of finding good help and suggestions. Currently working out here in the Pacfifc and putting together a 1988 Beneteau/Moorings 432. Hopefully will spend several years exploring and not working in the near future.
Kailuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:06   #2

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Sounds like a great time. I know someone who works out there at the installation. Hope all works out well for you.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:20   #3

Boat: Beneteau/Moorings 432
Yes the sailing is great. I am learning to sail here. This is my second boat. I broke my Cal 20 in a weekend race and never really got it back in the water. Stepped up to the Beneteau and love it. I am adding upgrades constantly but still enjoying it in the meantime. It's like like sailing in a 1100 sq. mi. lake only with trade winds and the Pacific just on the other side of the reef. Interested to know who your friend is out here. The population is in decline right now.
It's been awhile since we saw many cruisers coming around. I have heard there are quite a few making their way through Majuro. It's more difficult to come here if you want to get on this island but there are still nice dive spots and plenty of wrecks and reef to explore.
Kailuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kailuana,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I have a lot of trouble finding parts and pieces for boats here on the Big Island and I expect you do too way out there.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailuana View Post
....It's been awhile since we saw many cruisers coming around.

It's more difficult to come here if you want to get on this island but there are still nice dive spots and plenty of wrecks and reef to explore.

Is Kwaj still a military Installation? I remember that used to be the Star Wars testing site

In 1996 I was passing near there on a Super yacht when my chief engineer ended up with a burst appendix.

Luckily with working through Fleet Surgeon in Hawaii and my chief being American we were given permission to come in to the Atoll (I had already turned around) and he was taken in for emergency appendectomy.

Great civilians there (I remember working under civilian contractor Raytheon) but I was the only one allowed to accompany my engineer (under armed guard) and we only had 24 hrs grace before having to haul anchor and leave.

With those restrictions then it was not feasible to put it on the cruising list, but would like to return there as it is beautiful.

I remember one of the most spectacular views from any hospital ward I have ever seen.

Anyway Chiefy spent a month there, made a full recovery and had a great time with all the staff that seemed starved for outside company. We met up with many of them in Phonpei when they took vacation time at the Village Hotel

Let us know what the regulations are now.......Cheers!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 09:18   #6

Wow, what a bunch of cool memories. I was just researching how to spell "Kailuana" (not remembering where, if any, the apostrophes went) for posting photos on Facebook. I've only sailed once, and that was to bring the Kailuana from Honolulu to Kwajalein with Mike Cheatham (owner - who bought the boat from Dave Lung), Michael Blair (Captain) and Matt Fine. We set the record (13 days, 22 1/2 hours) that stood for about 5 years. I've been around the world, to over 80 countries, and that trip is still one of my happiest memories. Enjoy!!
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 09:26   #7

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I passed by the atoll on a Navy ship enroute to Majuro in the late 80s. The giant phased-array radar is something to see on the horizon.

One of my shipmates had been stationed on Kwaj temporarily and told us that the sister ship of the Bismark, the Prinz Nugen I believe, was towed to Kwaj after the Bikini bomb tests and ended up beached in Kwaj with part of her submerged at diving depths while part is always above water. Being a wreck nut I'd sure love to explore that one someday.

Beautiful islands!
Old 30-03-2009, 09:33   #8

Mark:

Well, she is still there. And what you heard is true. It's the Prinz Eugen, and the props stick out of the water at low tide on an island just ways up the atoll, but visible from Kwaj (as I recall). It's a cool wreck to dive, but there are many more there. You really can't lose on any dive there.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 09:37   #9

Boat: Tartan 30- Immrama
Kailuauna,

Greetings. A friend of mine from High School is a Marshall Islander and last I heard he went back after college and was involved in the government there. His name is Maynard Alfred. If you run across him send him greetings from Robin Foster and his Andover classmates. We are all old farts now but I bet the Islands have kept him youthful.
on land- Nashville, TN
fastfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 23:19   #10

boats from majuro to the states

Hi, I'm Alex, spanish, and I'm going to majuro to see if it's possible to catch any boat going to the states or hawaii..do you think it's possible to find anyone there..?
El MeloNesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 18:19   #11

Only 2 boats in the last 5 years went from the Marshall's to the USA. I was one of them. The chance of you hopping a ride is zero. It might be another 5 years before a boat goes in this direction. Its the wrong way...currents and winds are against you.
I've seen your other posts so here is some advice. Fanning Island is impossible to get to as they have no airport. Sailboats do stop here in transit to Hawaii but you can't get to Fanning without a sailboat. A very few boats go from Tahiti to Fanning but again...its not a popular route and can be quite difficult to find a ride.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 19:00   #12

Boat: Able 50
It's an easy sail from Marshalls to USA, just long that's all. You head way up North until the wind changes and then follow it East all the way to Seattle. The basic idea is just to sail over the high and once past it you could quite easily turn South and head for CA.

The voyage could take 6 weeks but it isn't hard with only a few days to windward if the trades are doing their usual thing. You would want to leave Majuro in May or June.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 19:04   #13

I'm headed towards Majuro and then North America...either Mexico or San Francisco...who knows? No me. On Palau now. No schedule.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 19:22   #14

Boat: Able 50
If it's any help, the peak season in Majuro is now. If you are interested in a busy round of parties, picnics, beercan races etc etc you should head on over. The crowd begins to thin out in April.

On the downside, all the good moorings will be taken by now meaning you might have to anchor out in the boonies.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
They should be rebranded to Marshalov or something, with all the funny Russian place names there.

Looks like a hell of a cruising destination to me.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Marshall Islands