Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2018, 16:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 5.1
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrosion-Eng
Thumbs up Marine corrosion CAUSE elimination

Smile - I have the solution to the vast majority of CAUSES of corrosion.

Stray current causes electrolysis corrosion. Stray current can only be created by battery current, direct current (DC). So flows in the same direction 24/7. Usually from battery negative to Earth. Search for Wikipedia electrolysis. Note the apparatus power supply is red and black so DC. Not the shore power which is alternating current (AC). AC reverses direction every 1/2 Cycle or Hertz. So IF it takes off a particle in the first 1/2 Hertz it will replace it in second 1/2 Hertz.

So the only CAUSE is DC. The only two paths to the Earth are via water or air. Air creates a low current path so let us eliminate the vast majority stray current to the Earth via water.

Note that I am using the term current. That stray current is the CAUSE so to eliminate it we must measure current. Not voltage. Do a Google search for marine electrolysis and click on sea bis. There is no commitment or fee for advice. Spend a little time and study. The knowledge gained with eliminate the CAUSE for 20 years.
Old 26-12-2018, 19:20   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Marine corrosion CAUSE elimination

No disrespect for your above analysis however there are some discrepancies in your opening post.

1. quote Stray current can only be created by battery current, direct current (DC).

This suggests all stray currents are created by the ship's battery. Clearly not true, stray currents were a problem well before vessels were fitted DC batteries. Think bronze skin fitting on wooden hulls with no battery aboard etc.

2. quote Note that I am using the term current. That stray current is the CAUSE so to eliminate it we must measure current. Not voltage.

I agree measuring the current is a good starting point however eliminating voltage will eliminate the current. Current only flows if there is a voltage present but as the opposite is not true, eliminating current is a good starting point.

Again, no disrespect to your analysis.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-12-2018, 21:14   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Seriously? Perhaps you could read some more Wikipedia articles.

Might I suggest you read some articles on dissimilar metals, the chemistry of water and seawater and cathodic protection. You might also include something on ship electrical systems and grounding.

Sure current is important but have you conducted a corrosion survey just measuring current. There is a good reason why voltage is a potential difference.
Old 27-12-2018, 00:14   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion-Eng View Post
Smile - I have the solution to the vast majority of CAUSES of corrosion.

Stray current causes electrolysis corrosion. Stray current can only be created by battery current, direct current (DC). So flows in the same direction 24/7. Usually from battery negative to Earth. Search for Wikipedia electrolysis. Note the apparatus power supply is red and black so DC. Not the shore power which is alternating current (AC). AC reverses direction every 1/2 Cycle or Hertz. So IF it takes off a particle in the first 1/2 Hertz it will replace it in second 1/2 Hertz.

So the only CAUSE is DC. The only two paths to the Earth are via water or air. Air creates a low current path so let us eliminate the vast majority stray current to the Earth via water.

Note that I am using the term current. That stray current is the CAUSE so to eliminate it we must measure current. Not voltage. Do a Google search for marine electrolysis and click on sea bis. There is no commitment or fee for advice. Spend a little time and study. The knowledge gained with eliminate the CAUSE for 20 years.
Have you just completed an online corrosion engineering course?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 27-12-2018, 03:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Corrosion-Eng.

Is "sea bis" your business? If so, you might be interested in our "Vendors" membership.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/vendor/register/

Old 27-12-2018, 03:52   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Self promotion thread not going well
Old 27-12-2018, 05:25   #7

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

"This suggests all stray currents are created by the ship's battery. Clearly not true, stray currents were a problem well before vessels were fitted DC batteries. Think bronze skin fitting on wooden hulls with no battery aboard etc".

What happens between bronze and wood?
Old 27-12-2018, 10:45   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Powerpoint Presentation
https://www.bbsc.org.au/resources/Do...e-Easy-SYC.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seminar objectives.png
Views:	107
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	182819  
Old 27-12-2018, 12:42   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So the OP essentially has the cure for cancer but isn't willing to share it.
In some places, some folks would just say "Let's attach some battery jumpers to the guy and see if we can teach him to share nicely."
Of course, no one in this forum would say that. Still, it's a thought. Let's assume he really DOES have the cure, and he's just being greedy.
Old 27-12-2018, 12:48   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

So if I screw a stainless plate to aluminum and leave it near the beach on Raro then I can come back in 20 years and there will be no corrosion?
Old 27-12-2018, 14:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 5.1
Send a message via Skype™ to Corrosion-Eng

Hi All,
Thanks for your responses. T. E. Lawrence stated correctly.
From my experience based on 2 marine electrolysis degrees, 10 years research and development in 223 vessels, with 16 years commercial with 8 year money back guarantee, measuring current flow to the Earth and reducing that below the level that can create corrosion, is 100% successful. However I missed the ABYC change in terminology and will address that.

We use a microprocessor with 20 year design life,, sensitive to 10 millionths of an amp. We measure current in parallel so we cannot distort actual current.

Galvanic corrosion is less that 1/1,000 that of electrolysis. A one Kg (2 pounds) anode generates one millionth amp protective current. Electrolysis (stray current generated corrosion) starts at 100 micro amps. I have measured 9 amps. When stray current is eliminated then galvanic is easily reduced or eliminated by anodes.

Corrosion-Eng
Old 27-12-2018, 16:14   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Breaking out the popcorn...

Ayn Rand
Old 27-12-2018, 16:33   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Old 27-12-2018, 16:46   #14

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So the OP essentially has the cure for cancer but isn't willing to share it.
In some places, some folks would just say "Let's attach some battery jumpers to the guy and see if we can teach him to share nicely."
Of course, no one in this forum would say that. Still, it's a thought. Let's assume he really DOES have the cure, and he's just being greedy.
He's selling a thingy with lights that light up and tell you that you have "current" and when those lights come on you switch off circuits until the lights return to normal and you have thereby diagnosed the circuit on your boat causing current. You still have to cure the problem, somehow. I think that's what is going on.

Savvy?
Old 27-12-2018, 16:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Interesting, though measuring stray currents does not a thing to eliminate stray currents. Stray currents can be DC or AC (ac ground loop) when at a dock or DC only away from the dock. So right there I find the original OP's posting to be slightly, hum inaccurate or at least unclear.

More then likely the OP is selling an impressed current protection system, which is DC.

Adding a simple impressed current system with a silver reference, DC + plate and micro-ampmeter is fairly simply done. Though many a company charge an arm and a leg for their black box voodoo, it's actually the simplest thing to make.

Of course adding a galvanic isolator on the AC mains can help in many cases, but not all.

OP may wish to post to the Commercial section...
Closed Thread

Tags
corrosion, marine