Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2019, 18:11   #61

Re: Looking for an "IN" into the sailing world.

Well insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results. I, too, have hoped to find some guidance and wisdom here on this forum.
nasaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 20:00   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasaunders View Post
Well insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results. I, too, have hoped to find some guidance and wisdom here on this forum.
G'day Nancy,

That's a confusing post for me. I had a look at your six previous posts and see a meets and greets where you express a desire for crewing opportunities, and one reply to a crew wanted post. Perhaps I've missed where you sought guidance and wisdom, but I did look!

So, some advice: as a rule, we do better as respondents when there is a more specific question or request for advice. Lots of experienced folks here from around the world and most of us are willing or even eager to offer help, but we need a better idea of what is wanted.

It sounds like you are reasonably experienced and would make good crew. A more active approach to multiple crew wanted ads plus posting a crew available ad for yourself might help... can't hurt!

Finally, filling out the "about me" part of your profile often helps us target answers to you as a person and may improve your response ratio.

But wisdom... ya want wisdom? Ask what anchor is best and you'll get heaps of wisdom (maybe) (and I'm joking, in case that wasn't obvious).

Good luck, and let me add my welcome to CF... hope you get something worthwhile here.

Jim
Old 21-06-2019, 23:01   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr8gfx View Post
I appreciate all of your well meant responses but they fall short of the only question that I require be answered...

"If there is anyone in the Tacoma area that will teach me the ropes?"

Over the last 20 years and all the research I've done don't you think that I would have already looked into the obvious suggestions that you offer? Been there, tried that, researched it! That is why I have posted here on this forum, as a last resort to reach out.

Good lord you all act as if it is the Freemasons or some other secrete society that I am trying to join and I have to either be the graceful social butterfly or offer up my unborn child or both just to get in. Well, I'm no butterfly and I'm not having any kids.

Apparently, none of you are familiar with the Tacoma area clubs and marinas. They are not really setup where I can just hang out and randomly ask people if they need crew.

So, enough with the obvious pad answers and suggestions. Been there, done that...that is why I am looking for an "IN"...get it yet?

Tacoma area, willing to teach. That's it.
The only response required, "Meet me at the marina at this time and bring beer!"
First off, when I joined the forum 5 or 6 years ago
I met the most generous, helpful people ever.
Man, have you got some attitude issues and I might
add a seemingly thin skin.
Secondly, Nobody owes you an “In”
You have to earn it.
I’ll suggest two ways
Drive an Uber for a few weeks after your regular job and take a few lessons
Dress up in a pair of ratty jeans, grab a paper sack lunch,
sling a respirator or filter around you neck then head over to
the nearest diy boatyard and loudly proclaim
that you will gladly grind fiberglass for some sailing time
That should do it
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 03:17   #64

I think the best way to get involved in sailing is to find the closest marina or yacht club that has regular races and volunteer as rail weight. Race boats are usually looking for crew and I’ve gotten a few people involved in sailing this way.

Usually I tell them to post a note on the community board at the clubhouse or marina office offering yourself as crew. You’ll probably get a call before the next race.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 03:34   #65

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldjfilm View Post
Lee I posted for the first time the other day and got a stupid sexist no good response. I too am very disappointed by this forum. Sounds like it a a bunch of wanna be Experts who are trolling here.
I hope we both have better luck.
If you count 40,000 offshore miles as a wanna be expert. I gave you my best advice honestly. I started at zero experience at age 48, long story which I won’t bore you with. Within five years, after crewing for others offshore, I was offshore as Captain of my own boat. You can do it in a year if you devote all of your time to learning.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 03:54   #66

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

You might try the "meetup" app. In my area there is a sailing group that brings together anyone interested in sailing whether they have a boat or not. Seems like an excellent way to get exposure to it. If there isn't a sailing group on meetup in your area, be bold and start one.
Good luck.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 04:02   #67

Boat: 2000 Donzi Z275

I am sorry you are disappointed in the responses. I was raised around sailboats. I own a powerboat now. That said, my advise is to go to a marina or yacht club, hang out, talk to people about your dream and you will most likely find a cruiser that is willing to take you under their wing. Another suggestion is to do a charter or a barefoot cruise on a boat similar to the one you are dreaming about.
Don't let landlubbers discourage you. I am preparing to go on the Great Loop myself. I am making my dream come true.[emoji16][emoji41]🧜*♀️

Fair winds, and following seas!

Heather
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 05:08   #68

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Dress up in a pair of ratty jeans, grab a paper sack lunch,
sling a respirator or filter around you neck then head over to
the nearest diy boatyard and loudly proclaim
that you will gladly grind fiberglass for some sailing time
That should do it
Cheers
Neil
NOW THAT is the best advice of all!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 06:04   #69

Boat: 34' O'Day

Mr Lee you are going about this all wrong!!! Getting on a crew is easy ... take your last $50 you have and head down to your local sailor bar. Then buy the oldest Salt you see a top shelf RUM ... NOT coors light (you really have to get over that stuff) but RUM ... and start telling the most outlandish sea stories (us sailors LOVE a good tale). Use words like Kraken, and pirate repeatedly. Keep the RUM flowing and by the time you can't walk straight you will be on a crew ..... Also listen to Jimmy Buffett tunes .... He wrote a song just for you!!!
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 06:55   #70

The OP seems long gone. Hopefully he/she is now spending time actively doing stuff related to boats, sailing & cruising. CF has been great for sharing information and solving problems, but you don't get on-deck experience from a forum.

Their desire to find a local sailing mentor is not wrong; it could be a very productive route. But their dismissal of other equally-good avenues (and this idea of being a single-hander on their own cruising boat in a year) suggests some unrealistic expectations.

Never mind any other threads on CF; this one by itself contains many good ideas and sound advice for getting into sailing. And it's no different from every other human pursuit. There are many ways in, stop whining and try'em all til something works.

Yesterday i had a lovely 5 hr daysail (and lunch and a bike ride at my destination) under blue skies, flat water and 8 to 14kt offshore winds. Yeah. Stop waiting, start sailing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 11:14   #71

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr8gfx View Post
Hello everybody,

My name is Lee. I'm here looking to get into the sailing world to meet like minded people, change my life path and generally be around sailboats. Born and raised in the Puget Sound, I've never had the opportunity or access to sailing. Over the last 25 years I've been dreaming, researching and planning but something in life has always got in the way.

My aspirations are to buy a sailboat and go cruising single handed by next year. No more lollygagging!

So, your probably thinking, "Great but what do you bring to the table besides your enthusiasm?"

Well, I have a 20 year background in graphic design, cnc engraving, vinyl lettering, 3d printing and various other technical/mechanical aspects. So, basically I can help "think tank", make or fix boat dashes, gauge labels, boat name, stripes and my brother does upholstery.

Anyway, that's my short story. If there is anyone in the Tacoma area that wouldn't mind introducing me to the sailing life and teach an old dog a new trick. I'm ready and I'll buy the beer. Let's go sailing!
I was reading your plea with intrique. I appreciated everyone's reply and quirks.
I have two 45' boats and was considering the options.
Then the outlash, and I thought "what the hell!?"

I bought the boats in general to get away from people. I am thankful for showing your colours. Would have been very awkward having a person on the boat and then have to deal with such an outburst.

I don't mingle with other boaters, but most vessels require additional help. But not help with an attitude.

Nothing wrong with the forum.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 23:08   #72

Would agree that this is an extremely useful forum...my wife and I took up sailing about 7 years back...when we were both 61 years of age...in two years we will be 70...and hope to get a bigger boat...we now sail a 28 footer...again this a good forum...the disgruntled fellow should toughen up...
michaelkcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 23:27   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

the OP seems to have fled from this unfeeling crowd. i hope that he has gone sailing, but suspect that he has gone sulking, or perhaps to the more sympathetic crowd at SA.

Or maybe he'll return and try again...

Jim
Old 23-06-2019, 11:18   #74

Here's what I did. Took a basic sailing course at my local harbor (check "Groupon").
Most courses are run by local harbor clubs (full of sailors)
You'll meet like minded people.
Of those people, some will ultimately continue sailing. There's your "in".
Some of your fellow students will have friends with boats or are thinking of buying their own.
Most harbors have "Beer can races" where the locals race around the nearby buoys on a given day of the week. There are always boats looking for extra crew. Ask around (your groupon teacher).
Do you have any other skills besides "Lettering"? That's probably a one time trade...
What else can you do to enhance the captains boat?
Steve Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 14:02   #75

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Steve, you're right. Even if all you do is show the skipper you are reliable for being on time for getting the boat ready for the beer can races, you'll be able to get a ride, that's how it began for me. That and a woman friend inviting me along on other boats she crewed on, low level racing, but it was fun: company, competition, camaraderie.

Ann

Tags
sail, sailing