Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 11:09   #1

Looking at Cats - Looking at Lifestyle Changes - Know Zip About Sailing

*I am in the preliminary process of gathering information about living aboard and have this idea that perhaps we could buy a catamaran, base it in BVI or USVI and take people around to see the islands-meet people and offset some of the expense of living on board. I have not decided about a 3 or 4 stateroom configuration. I am lead to a boat somewhere around a Lagoon 440 or a Leopard 44-46. I saw a 50 and it was TOOOOOOOO much boat for me. I know nothing about sailing- I can fly a plane so I think that I can learn and I am taking sailing lessons beginning in April. We will charter something in Nov-Dec 2010. My guess is that a boat bigger than 50’ would test my abilities and perhaps my budget as well. I am leaning toward a used boat because the depreciation and equipping a brand new boat seems daunting. My wife is not too keen on the general idea and she is a skittish sailor so a lot of familiarization would have to take place before she would feel comfortable venturing out beyond sight of land.
zarkmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
People who charter boats REALLY prefer that the skipper has more experience than they do!

But let me welcome you to Cruiser's Forum. There is an active multihull section you might enjoy exploring.

Many new sailors ask the same general question; the romance of sailing off to carefree islands is really a contagious disease. Fortunately, its survivable, and in many cases perfectly do-able.

We recommend a few intermediate steps before you buy that captain's hat and jump on an airplane. Opinions vary, and I suspect you will hear them all, so sit tight, and ask for an explanation of any ensuing opaque platitude!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:41   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome to the forum. You received good advice from Sandy, on all counts.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:45   #4

You can learn to sail, it's not that hard.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 13:25   #5

I am quite sure that people would prefer a skipper that will not kill them. But that comes with time, training and knowing your limitations. I am starting with knowing my limitations. All else will follow from that.
Old 26-03-2010, 14:24   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
charter your boat and act as captain too?

Have you given any thought about buying a Cat thru a charter purchase program and learning what you need to learn the first year or two and then move to the area of lending your services on your own boat to the charter company?
Ocassionally you find a smaller charter company that has personally owned and skippered boats by the owner themselves for charter. Could work for you.
Get the boat paid for AND get to sail it just like you mentioned with paying customers.
No maint by you, the charter co takes care of that, as well as insurance, maint. between uses etc.
worth a look.
Old 26-03-2010, 19:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
Have you given any thought about buying a Cat thru a charter purchase program and learning what you need to learn the first year or two and then move to the area of lending your services on your own boat to the charter company?
Ocassionally you find a smaller charter company that has personally owned and skippered boats by the owner themselves for charter. Could work for you.
Get the boat paid for AND get to sail it just like you mentioned with paying customers.
No maint by you, the charter co takes care of that, as well as insurance, maint. between uses etc.
worth a look.
Yes, buying now and sticking into a charter program is for sure one of the options. I have to look at the economics of it. Can I take capital that is earning squat now put it into a boat and really be sure of not losing my butt in 3-4 years with depreciation, maintenance costs, etc. That will take a big Excel spreadsheet this summer. I think you believe that the economics do indeed WORK?
Old 26-03-2010, 20:41   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum.
I think a cat is a good idea, especially with a skiddish wife. You being a pilot, you will be a natural sailor and will learn fast. I say this from experience, I have taught three pilots how to sail, well actually they already knew how to sail but not on a boat (make sense? if not, it will after your sail lesson). So for a pilot, a fast track attitude may not be a crazy idea. Do lots of reading about rules of the road, engine care, electrical work in a salty environment, etc., and lots of knot tying practice.
Happy boat hunting,
Erika
Old 26-03-2010, 21:31   #9

The best pilot is a frightened pilot who will easily make a 180 to stay out of bad weather systems. You can do that to a lesser degree in a boat if the thing is slow...you will have to be content to take what comes. I just don't know how much these boats can take. I read about stuff to slow you down but what kind of a beating will it take and what kind of a beating sinks you?
Old 26-03-2010, 22:16   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
You'd be surprised how much a good boat can take, more than you or me.
When the poop hits the fan it is usually us humans that take the beating while our fine vessels sail on.
Erika
Old 27-03-2010, 06:11   #11

Sailing on works for me. This is going to be an experience for sure. Usually flying is so calm with occasional short-lived panic. Sailing can be far from calm but with experience you manage the situation over a longer time frame. But the thought of 30 foot waves in front or in back of me is daunting. 30 foot waves on the side of me...sounds like curtains. Anyway...I don't hear too many stories of CATS doing the deep six.
Old 27-03-2010, 06:35   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
I have sailed cats small and big (not a lot though) and could not see any difference in how the size counts.

A Hobbie sure is more difficult to sail than a Leopard.

The bigger things just tend to have bigger winches.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 14:21   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm glad there is someone else on the forum who thinks a 50 is way too much boat.
regards,
Old 15-04-2010, 12:37   #14

50 foot too big?

I think for me, yes it is too big. We have a small family and I recall buying the biggest condo in a ski resort....it was a waste trying to get people to come and share it. I think the same could be true with a cat. BUT..a mid-size, a 44-45 gives you some options if you want to put it in charter so I think that is the ideal. So many cats to choose from and all have some pluses and minus aspects. I would like a Lagoon 440, with dagger boards and an extra helm station in the cockpit and a price the same as a Main Cat. And then I want an engine that is powerful to push the thing at 10kts and I want it in something other than white.
Old 15-04-2010, 17:05   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
I have sailed a Schionning 54 (or thereabout). Did not find it too big to manage single-hand, but man does she take up a lot of marina space.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, lagoon, leopard, catamaran