Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 17:19   #1

Long Island Sound 2014 Season

To Whom It May Concern :

I am looking forward to sail Long Island Sound next season (2014) and wondering what kind of prices to expect.
Planning to sail for different periods of approximately three weeks and I would like to leave my boat on a mooring for may be 5 or 6 days, then back for another 3 weeks or more.
Then comes autumn, so a winter storage place will be needed.
Thank you for your consideration and looking for reasonable prices that anyone can suggest to me.
Best Regards
Eolsen
Eolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 05:21   #2

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Long Island Sound 2014 Season

Well, I can help a little bit. Marinas will be running you about $3 to $5 a foot and most moorings are about $40.

Where are you located so I can have a better idea of where you can work out of?
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:06   #3

You might be able to swing a better weekly price for a mooring in harbors like Oyster Bay, Huntington and Northport. Though the town moorings in Port Washington are free for two days but, you can stay longer if you pay but, still very reasonable and include launch service (if you are paying for the mooring). Though you should check the situation next year as things can change.

For winter storage a few names on the north shore of Long Island come to mind
Capri Marine in Port Washington
Coney's in Huntington
Old Mans Boatyard in Mount Sinai
Also check for marinas in Mattituck and Greenport. I'm not familiar with those on the Connecticut side but, there are a number there as well in places like Stonington.
Old 24-08-2013, 08:49   #4

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

One issue for winter storage is deciding whether or not you will be doing any painting or work on the boat. We're in Northport and every other year store the boat out of the water. Willis Marine is the only one in the area that lets you do your own bottom. Others charge a fortune to paint PLUS the cost of paint. Definitely a consideration. We're out of the water this year. For in the water, we use Brittania in Northport because they are nice and secure up at the end of the harbor.

But I'd also look into any of the Brewers yards. Many people I know use them and love them.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
But I'd also look into any of the Brewers yards. Many people I know use them and love them.
There are Brewers all over New England so can't say this would be true for every one but every one I checked was very expensive.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
One issue for winter storage is deciding whether or not you will be doing any painting or work on the boat. We're in Northport and every other year store the boat out of the water. Willis Marine is the only one in the area that lets you do your own bottom. Others charge a fortune to paint PLUS the cost of paint. Definitely a consideration. We're out of the water this year. For in the water, we use Brittania in Northport because they are nice and secure up at the end of the harbor.

That is a very good point. My boatyard charges $250 if you don't want them to paint the bottom. That means you pay them $250 for doing nothing! Nothing you can do as it's part of the contract except move to a more inconvenient location.
Old 24-08-2013, 14:23   #7

Boat: contessa 32

Captains Cove in Black Rock(Bridgeport Conn.) charged me $1 /ft / day to leave my boat on dock w no H2o or electric this summer for a few days . Have done it before and all is safe and secure. Don't know if they haul or not ,but location is central and easy to get to as opposed to anywhere on Long Island.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:11   #8

If you are talking winter storage and spring prep...
NYS has gotten very strict apparently about being insured or certified to do bottom jobs. Most formerly DIY yards are not allowing owners to do their own bottoms.
Not a bad idea for multiple reasons and one of them is sanding the nasty is nasty... painting you are inhaling nasty too.
Britannia in Northport offered a "spring special" which I can't recall the rate... but it was quite reasonable to haul, power wash, sand, mask, paint and relaunch in a few quick days. I used the deal and got a few extra days to wax the hull. I cleaned and prepped the prop and did the zinc. This worked out well and they splashed me and slipped me close to the parking lot where I was able to do the rest of the spring prep. Working on a hauled out boat a drag going up and down the ladder. I store in water...boats don't need or like to be standing in jack stands... and if the yard take watches out and your dock lines don't chafe in water storage is economical and handy. I do projects during the storage period heating the boat with portable ceramic heaters when I am working in it.
I have found the yard and the staff helpful and pleasant. No complaints.

Brewers are as expensive as it gets in an already expensive industry.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 20:15   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.

Tags
Long Island, long island sound