Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 01:34   #1

Boat: Nimbus 8.5m
Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere

Hi folks,
I retired in 2001 and thought it a good challenge to take up sailing.
We went looking for a yacht at a stretch of water close to home (water is not an abundant resource in Southern Africa) and being 8 hours driving away from the sea, I would prefer a closer but larger area to open the sails. The Vaal Dam is 2 hours driving but has a surface area of 320sq km with a shoreline of more than 800km. We visited some of the yacht clubs at the Vaal Dam and found a 8.05m Nimbus launched 1982 for a reasonable price.
I took up the challenge and waited for an opportunity to get it onto the dry. I did take the family for a motorized ride a couple of times. Once on a suitable dolly, I started removing the anti-fouling and discovered osmosis pimples but luckily no de-lamination. While addressing this, I also noticed an oxidized sail drive. This turned out to be damaged beyond repair due to electrolysis. In the meantime, I stripped the woodwork inside the cabin down & sanded it to remove the dark wood staining and re-varnish with matt polyurethane to lighten up the cabin and bring out the beautiful grain of wood. I also got the cushions re-done and made a sun canopy with maritime canvas and Aluminium piping.
The project I regard as a process and a big learning curve until we get the yacht up to standard to start the sailing. I do a lot of reading on the Net to address my various challenges but overcoming each challenge, is very satisfying. Looking forward to hear from other members and sharing their experiences. There is a lot of theory out there but experience, in my opinion, tops it all.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_133453.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	159079
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_114615.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	159083
Vaaldam is offline   Reply With Quote