Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 20:42   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Living in Maldives wanting to cruise

Our first day on the Forum as a member (much reading before as a guest). We are lucky enough to live in the Maldives, surrounded by some of the most beautiful ocean on the planet and hence decided it is time to explore more of the seas. our predicament is that there are (almost) no sailboats in the country, much less catamarans, and MUCH less anything for sale. buying overseas makes things very expensive due to transfer costs and big import duties. So our hope is that perhaps someone is cruising the oceans on a Mahe 36, Lagoon 380 or similar that suddenly decides to quit and maybe end their journey close to the Maldives. Is that too much to ask...? we plan to leave in about 2 years but would much prefer to have a boat asap so we can practice our skills (as of now they don't exist) with day trips and overnighters. our budgets is about $150k for something that is ready to sail.

Seeing how many people are active on this forum we keep our hopes up that there is someone that feels like making Maldives (or somewhere close in the Indian Ocean) their final stop before returning to land base life...

Any suggestions or thoughts are of course much appreciated!
want2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 20:59   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Living in Maldives wanting to cruise

Think you might have a good chance to find a boat. There are many sailors having an issue how to continue from your whereabouts to west and selling the boat might be a relief for some of them methinks.. Good luck!
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 03:06   #3

Thanks Teddy Diver, what a great point to make which we have not even though about! the whole problem of not knowing how to import a boat from Europe could actually turn out to our advantage if someone else has a similar issue the other way around. as we are not in a rush we will wait and see and surely the perfect opportunity will arise :-)
best wishes!
Old 24-07-2012, 03:45   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

First, there must be very few boats arriving in the Maldives since 2011. The piracy problem in the IO and GoA has eliminated the Maldives as a circumnavigation stop-over. That said, there are several money-hungry ships-agents in Male, Maldives. I think if you offered them a $500USD finders fee for the type of boat you are looking for, they will ask each person who arrives in a like boat if they want to sell. Check Noonsite.com > Countries > Maldives for agent's names and contacts. As you may know, every boat entering the Maldives is required to hire one of these agents.

Last, I think that you will have much better luck finding what you are looking for in Thailand or Malaysia which has become the "end-of-the-line" for many circumnavigators.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 03:55   #5

Yes I am always amazed (and sad) to realize how few private boats come to our islands as they are stunningly beautiful indeed! I have already informed some friends that work in such agencies to keep an eye out, but as you rightly said for now I find more boats in Malaysia and Thailand, which is not an impossible task to bring it here. luckily there seem to be no problems in that part of the Indian Ocean. Thanks for your insights Bill.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:49   #6

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2cruise View Post
Yes I am always amazed (and sad) to realize how few private boats come to our islands as they are stunningly beautiful indeed! I have already informed some friends that work in such agencies to keep an eye out, but as you rightly said for now I find more boats in Malaysia and Thailand, which is not an impossible task to bring it here. luckily there seem to be no problems in that part of the Indian Ocean. Thanks for your insights Bill.
We were in Male in 2011. The Maldives prison had 39 Somali Pirates incarcerated in it. These pirates had been captured by Maldives government forces. The Maldives government kept this a secret so that it would not scare tourists away.

While we were in the Maldives we were unwelcome at most of the resorts on the many islands there. Those that did allow boats to anchor charged from $50 to $100/per night as an anchor fee. We have sailed around the world and we consider the Maldives the least-friendly country to sailing yachts of the 50 countries we visited and the Maldives is on the bottom of the list of countries we will revisit.

Since you are a resident or possibly a citizen of the Maldives, possibly you will be treated differently than we were.

Good luck,

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:44   #7

Boat: too many

At the current rate of ocean rise, maybe everyone will be looking for a boat in the Maldives soon enough. They were near the top of my cruising list, but between the pirates and now Bill's less than favorable report, I'll have to reconsider.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 20:06   #8

Hi Bill,
I am sorry to hear about your experience in Maldives. I know that many private resorts are charging anyone to enter the lagoon. I, on the other hand, also manage a resort and have never charged anyone to anchor in my lagoon. we try to assist with water and disposal of rubbish if needed so if anyone is visiting here, feel free to PM me. I hope, however that you got to know the Maldivians as the friendly people that hey are!
Old 24-07-2012, 21:21   #9

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2cruise View Post
Hi Bill,
I am sorry to hear about your experience in Maldives. I know that many private resorts are charging anyone to enter the lagoon. I, on the other hand, also manage a resort and have never charged anyone to anchor in my lagoon. we try to assist with water and disposal of rubbish if needed so if anyone is visiting here, feel free to PM me. I hope, however that you got to know the Maldivians as the friendly people that hey are!
Now when that spreads around in the cruising world you will find a lot of boats on your door steps...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 23:32   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum W2C
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:36   #11

Boat: Mason 43

Welcome W2C,

Also check in with www.SSCA.org. The Indian Ocean archipelagos were my romping ground years ago and even then we were dodging pirates. It is sad to see how unfriendly the Maldives and even the Seychelles is becoming to cruisers. Spent years earning every freckle :-)
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:50   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Hope you can straighten out that part of the world for us.
I can't straighten out this state for cruisers.
kind regards,
Old 04-08-2012, 22:37   #13

Mahalo for the Welcome John. I wish I had such powers...
Having lived in Maui for several years I miss that part of the world. Also had a look at your website, which is very helpful to me (being a newbie)! might contact you separately a little later down the line.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51   #14

I am happy to report that I have found my new Mahe 36. Sailed her from Seychelles to Maldives and now the real work will begin getting her back to her former beauty.
I have indeed experienced the challenges of Seychelles, having to wait one week to clear out! my arrival to Maldives luckily was a rather painless experience, even though I imported the yacht, rather than just clearing in. since the Mahe is all alone in our beautiful lagoon, I am sure she would be happy to see another boat next to her once in a while. so: visitors are welcome!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25   #15

The location of your lagoon (resort) would be a big help.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Maldives