Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2008, 18:31   #1

Liveaboard in St. Pete, FL?

Hi... I just moved down to the Tampa Bay area and I'm looking into buying a small cruiser for just myself and small dog... thing is, I have little experience, and I was wondering if and where I could dock it with proper hook-ups.

Also, would anyone know how much that would run monthly? I live on afixed income and I'm thinking cheap...
NoDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 18:45   #2

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
There is a place at the end of Gandy bridge just before you go across to Tampa. Only one I am familar with on that side of the bay. The city has one but the waiting list is about 3 years depending on size.

On the other side of the bay there is one called Interbay Moorings on 41 just south of the Alifia bridge. Looked at a nice in Palmetto again on 41 just north of the Manatee River Bridge.

Pricing will run about 11.00 plus $150 live aboard fee. Amenites vary greatly.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:08   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha NoDice,
Welcome aboard! This is a great forum for answering many different questions. I don't have a clue to what you asked but at least can extend an invitation to ask more questions.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 04:47   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome to CF, NoDice. Good luck finding a slip!
Old 20-07-2008, 05:19   #5

Boat: Island Packet 45. Tiki Hut
Cheap is hard to find in this area. A large number of marinas were closed a few years back and converted to "condo" slips. They did not sell and are just sitting empty or vacant sand lots. The ones that are still standing are a little proud.
The Pasadena Marina is in an excellent location. Tierra Verde Marina is larger, but the attached development is closed and a little run down. Good luck.
Tierra Verde Resort Marina

Live Aboard Marina St Petersburg Tampa Bay Florida - Pasadena Marina
Old 20-07-2008, 05:25   #6

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Define cheap. What is your budgeted price for a slip/mooring? That would help narrow it down.
Old 20-07-2008, 08:36   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
We are going to become a liveaboards this fall and our start will be in Palmetto . The are two marinas right in Palmetto . Ar one we were quote for a 42' footer around $800 a month ,and the marine right across the river in Bradenton quote us $ 1300. They are both right in the city centres, with walking distances to West Marine and other shopping facilities.
We'll stay there only because we'll be outfitting the boat for cruising ,and than down to the carib.
Regards , Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 15:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDice View Post
Hi... I just moved down to the Tampa Bay area and I'm looking into buying a small cruiser for just myself and small dog... thing is, I have little experience, and I was wondering if and where I could dock it with proper hook-ups.

Also, would anyone know how much that would run monthly? I live on afixed income and I'm thinking cheap...
Unfortunately, 'cheap' and living on a boat in Florida are direct opposites. You just can't use them in the same sentence. But try checking Maximo Marina in St Pete. Their slips looked pretty empty. And they have a lot of small, covered power boat slips if that's what you're looking for.
There is another marina closer to the Skyway Bridge but I don't know if they allow liveaboards. I think it's called Club Nautilus or just Nautilus. It was one of those marinas that was bought out to build condos and that deal went by the wayside. The marina is for powerboats only due to the low clearance of the I-275 overpass. And their slips also looked fairly empty.
Good luck and hold onto your wallet.

Scott
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 10:58   #9

wow, guys... thanks for all the replies. Defining "cheap" is like asking "how much do you have to spend?" while in a jewelry store; you never know. It seems that for something around 35', it's feasible to find something under $500 with electricity.

I guess it's all going to depend on whether I find an appropriate boat... and I can afford the slip fees.
NoDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 12:09   #10

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
I sincerely don't believe that you will find a liveaboard marina for that price. You will be looking at at least $800 and you pay your own electricity.

As marina's dwindle in numbers by being sold for Condo's, the price only goes up.

In 2003 I was paying $225 a month for a non-liveaboard slip in Clearwater. I'm now paying $700, non-liveaboard. There are some folks in the same marina and I know they are paying around a grand a month (40' vessel)

Insurance is required by all the marinas I know. I'm paying over 3 grand a year. Obviously a smaller boat will cost less.

I don't want to yell sour grapes into your dream, but its just the way things are.

Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you find.
Old 08-09-2008, 20:05   #11

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Liveaboard locations:

There is slips available in the Harborage Marina, 1110 3rd St S. St Pete. I can tell you that a typical slip for a 52 ft is 882 and 200 for liveaboard fees, and elec billed seperate.

High? well that is a subjective value. Floating docks yes. Big plus in my book. No, I have no vested interest other than being a liveaboard in the marina. Moved aboard last December, and to tell the truth, never been happier... I know like all marinas your mileage may vary but right now, no complaints...

City Marina in St pete does have a wait, and yes, last I was told was 3-4 yrs based on size of boat. Cheaper of course, but again, if you have 4 years to wait, well....
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46   #12

Boat: 46 Ocean Sunliner / Remedy
Henryk, look me up when you get to the marina, I'm on "C" dock. when are you getting there?
Remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:41   #13
AEB

The Loggers Head Marina (next to 275 and heading south towards the Skyway Bridge) does not accept live aboards. We are looking to get into the St. Pete municipal marina (around $557 for 32' covered). Blind Pass marina is around $524 for uncovered. We are still looking as we are on the St. Pete municipal waiting list.
AEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 18:40   #14
VTX

My first post, lets see if I can screw this up, lol. I'm In Gulfport and I'm looking into a live aboard and have been for a while, want all my ducks in a row first. Their is no cheep docking to be found, well like they said whats cheep. After looking into dock,power and all that come with it, it would not be what I'm looking for, cheep is living in the bay and not paying for dock space. If you have what you need and don't need to be hooked up to power, thats cheep. I plan on not being in the same place long, so dock space would not work for me. Besids its hard to find if your comming and going alot and not paying for it 24/7. As far as you, depending on your wants an needs and money, you'll have to deside. Good luck, this is no longer the cheep place to live, Smitt
VTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard