Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 20:16   #1

Leave everything and sail

Hi folks new here, I have been enthralled with all the sailing youtube channels and I'm at a point in my life where I can drop everything and go forever. I have 0 sailing experience I do have boating experience and own a 23-foot Grady White with twins. but im ready to go, so question is, is there some sort of website forums with people of like mind and wanting to go sailing? I came across a website that "finances" up to 4 people on an expensive cat I could possibly afford that im just looking for a different way to start than saving for 20 years and buying a boat. Not that there is anything wrong with that but anyway. if anyone knows of some sort of connection like this let me know happy sailing!
marinegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 21:21   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Leave everything and sail

Welcome aboard Marinegordon! First it is helpful to know where you are located. I am sure you will get a lot of good advice and tips here.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 21:48   #3

Thank you Don I'm currently located in Newport NC right next to morehead city and beaufort North Carolina
marinegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 21:54   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, marinegordon, and welcome aboard CF.

You're fortunate that you live where there are lots of sailors. Why not toddle down to the local yacht clubs after races, and sink a cool one in the bar and meet some of the guys? That way, you can start your learning process on other people's boats, which is how I started sailing. Depending on your experiences, you may want to take lessons at some point, but it's not a requirement for having fun on sailboats.

About getting turned on by u-tubes, just remember they don't totally reflect reality, and you'll be okay. Just use critical thinking in applying them to real life.

Ann
Old 12-07-2017, 00:22   #5
cruiser

There's no such thing as a company that'll finance your desired lifestyle. It's going to take a substantial amount of upfront money or lots of sweat equity to get started.

Another thing, no insurance company will insure your boat without you first having documented experience and some sort of certificate of competence. Best to get statrted on that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gordon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail