Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 17:51   #1

Laptop vs iPad

Looking for an on-board computer.......considering an iPad. I find it to be nothing more than a big iPhone. Does anyone have any recommendations and/or experiences to help with this decision?

Thanks!
Debbie on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:55   #2

Re: Laptop vs iPad

trying to learn social media! you are a pro! saw your post...trying to reply
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Welcome to CF Debbie!
I'm typing this on an iPad. It is not a substitute for a "real" computer.... BUT it's hard to beat for convenience. You'll still need a computer to sync the iPad, so if you are in a "one-or-the-other" loop, get the laptop... But if you can afford both, IMHO it's well worth it!

...and Bob
Old 29-05-2011, 18:08   #4

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

This could easily turn out to be as much fun as an anchor thread, or even a gun thread!
While there are pros and cons for the iPad, a netbook, or a laptop, and it all boils down to what you need it for, and how you will use it, I really feel I must point out that the iPad is WAY MORE than just a pregnant iPhone! It is an amazing piece of technology! (is my bias showing?)
Seriously, I spent over a year debating iPad vs. laptop, and finally settled for the iPad. Never regretted the decision for an instant. It will do everything that most people use a laptop for, and it does most of them better, and faster. It is not without its shortcomings, but then, so is every other alternative device out there. (Lack of flash, by the way, is seen as an advantage)
Old 29-05-2011, 18:22   #5

Boat: Orca 38

I'm on an iPad as well. The thing rocks. This is my first Mac product but I've had most toys from desktops, laptops, android phones, iPaqs, Nook readers and most things in between.

While not the end all be all to everyone's computer desires, it pretty much friggin rocks.

That is all, carry on.
Old 29-05-2011, 18:26   #6

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Deb and I am guessing a humorous Bob on Otter

Just my experience and I have no apple ipad experience....I do love my iphone and wish I had the money for an ipad but at the moment alas the boat gets all extra play funds

I will outline my current thinking and if the ipad addresses these and I love the interface just like my phone then I would say go for gold.

Current probs

I have a netbook with 4 gb ram and 250gig hard drive I am no computer wizz lets get that straight but it isn't fast enough to do skype to stay in contact with family and friends when away on the boat

If you meet cruisers with on board entertainment to swap most have it on windows based machine except for a couple who have had Macbook pros but I am not sure how ipads handle files from macbook????

The screen is a little small if a few friends want to watch a movie together

The storage capacity is too small although easily overcome with external hard drives and I am not sure how this works with an ipad

..That said please please someone give me an ipad tomorrow
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

With an iPad you will be limited to the applications that Apple decides you are allowed to buy. You are also not allowed to have Flash, which can be limiting when browsing websites which have Flash, which is most of them. (Stirring the pot a little.)

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:28   #8

I have a large gun and a big anchor, let the fight begin...

I have struggled with the iPad vs netbook for a while. It has been a hard decision for me since I have used Apple since they were Apple. (and I dislike PC's, I am a Mac person.)

For onboard, my next purchase will be a Dell netbook. I know it is not the coolest thing out there, but it just makes sense for us. We want a key pad and USB ports. Those things may not be an issue for you.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:35   #9

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post

I have struggled with the iPad vs netbook for a while. It has been a hard decision for me since I have used Apple since they were Apple. (and I dislike PC's, I am a Mac person.)

For onboard, my next purchase will be a Dell netbook. I know it is not the coolest thing out there, but it just makes sense for us. We want a key pad and USB ports. Those things may not be an issue for you.
Hey Easterly

I would suggest you get the ducks nuts in netbooks because I love the size when I travel to and from the boat but it does annoy me getting the message on Skype that your computer is to slow to run the video call. Maybe I need to get some geek to look at the settings?

Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
Deb and I am guessing a humorous Bob on Otter

Just my experience and I have no apple ipad experience....I do love my iphone and wish I had the money for an ipad but at the moment alas the boat gets all extra play funds

I will outline my current thinking and if the ipad addresses these and I love the interface just like my phone then I would say go for gold.

Current probs

I have a netbook with 4 gb ram and 250gig hard drive I am no computer wizz lets get that straight but it isn't fast enough to do skype to stay in contact with family and friends when away on the boat

If you meet cruisers with on board entertainment to swap most have it on windows based machine except for a couple who have had Macbook pros but I am not sure how ipads handle files from macbook????

The screen is a little small if a few friends want to watch a movie together

The storage capacity is too small although easily overcome with external hard drives and I am not sure how this works with an ipad

..That said please please someone give me an ipad tomorrow
Don't worry about files from iPads to Macbooks. In the world of Apple, everything is seamless. That's why Steve Jobs makes the big bucks!
Old 29-05-2011, 19:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
...If you meet cruisers with on board entertainment to swap most have it on windows based machine except for a couple who have had Macbook pros but I am not sure how ipads handle files from macbook????
The actual files will be playable on both (at worse you might need to install a codec or different player). The only hiccup might be if they hand you a movie on a Mac formatted external drive - you won't be able to read it easily from Windows. Macs can read Windows (FAT32/NTFS) drives no probs though. Just a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive or something should solve this though.

*edit* sorry I just realised I didnt read your question properly! I don't know about ipads playing movies sorry - the above is only in relation to PC/Macs playing movies.
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:44   #12

Quote:

Dell netbooks rock too! As do some of the newer Android tablets.

The technology to integrate these devices with other systems i.e. Navigation, entertainment, communications is just beginning to develop. It will be interesting to see where it all goes in the very near future.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
The actual files will be playable on both (at worse you might need to install a codec or different player). The only hiccup might be if they hand you a movie on a Mac formatted external drive - you won't be able to read it easily from Windows. Macs can read Windows (FAT32/NTFS) drives no probs though. Just a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive or something should solve this though.

*edit* sorry I just realised I didnt read your question properly! I don't know about ipads playing movies sorry - the above is only in relation to PC/Macs playing movies.

I can watch movies, news, etc etc on my iPad. Netflixs rocks too. My daughter tells me I can download movies onto my laptop (or external hard drive) on board and view them on my iPad or other screens as well.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:54   #14

Thanks Felix and Strait...I have really been torn on this issue because I do not like PC's and was worried that I was making a bad decision on choosing a netbook.

Now I really think I am making the right choice.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:58   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Is your anchor a Rocna 
Name:   scared0018.gif
Views: 604
Size:  3.5 KB

Tags
Ipad, laptop