Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 03:23   #1

Boat: Schooner Junk Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to bonjourmatelot
Kung Hei Fat Choi!

That's happy Chinese New Year from Hong Kong where Rene and I moved to in January this year. I have lurked since 2007 (after my husband suddenly said hey lets sell the house, buy a boat and go sailing!) soaking up the wisdom of those wiser than I! We finally bought our boat in December 09 and moved out here to refit our 'new to us' Rival 41C. I'll have lots of questions - please be patient with me!!

Lesley
bonjourmatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 03:27   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Nice looking boat, enjoy HK
Old 17-02-2010, 03:27   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, Lesley! We'll look forward to hearing more about your interesting boat and cruising in the Hong Kong area.
Old 17-02-2010, 03:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Lesley...we're definitely going to need WAY more pictures of your cool boat.

Kung Hei Fat Cho Back a-cha!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 04:20   #5

Sure hope you won't be disappointed! Thank you for your kind welcome. You lot are my heroes!! I have already learnt so much from you all by spending hours reading your posts. It's a nice community you have here. I'm proud to be a part of it!

So, it's now work, work and more work! Originally exported (by ship) to HK from the factory, Crib was fitted out here in Hong Kong complete with Junk masts and sails. The previous owner finally decided to hang up his sails (he's 75) after ill-health forced him and his partner to move ashore and put her up for sale in 2005. We'd been looking at Rival 32's to convert to Junk rig, and then flew out here last December to take a look at Crib. Decided to go for it, although we knew it would be a while before we'd have her ready to sail. We both agreed before we bought her, that this stage is as much a part of the adventure as the sailing. We've started to clean her out and catalogue the equipment and spares aboard. She's due to be slipped next month - antifouling, sea cocks and the like. We plan to hang around here for the next year and if all goes OK will sail south in early 2011. Biggest challenge so far? Sourcing parts and equipment. I wouldn't have thought it possible - I thought in Hong Kong you could buy ANYTHING. I guess you can if you speak fluent Cantonese!! I'm trying to cultivate patience! In the meantime I've got questions that need answers- but I promise that I'll search the archives first!!

Thank you all for your welcome
Lesley and Rene
Old 17-02-2010, 04:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Yeh...I'm with you...I'would have thought Hong Kong would have been full of all sorts of boat stuff.
Your right...this stage is a very big part of the adventure...and getting it right now will pay huge dividends later....
Have fun with it!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 04:45   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440
Hi Lesley and Rene,
That is an interesting rig - where are you located in HKG?? Our cat lives in a slip at the Gold Coast marina.
You will develop a great amount of patience getting things done here unless you join the RHKYC and have the $$$ to get your work done there. We were very surprised at the general lack of "enthusiasm" of local contractors to even quote on a complete interior fit-out on our boat when we brought her down from the yard in China.
I have a list of suppliers, mostly in Mongkok and Aberdeen/Ap Lei Chau, that I can send you, perhaps also some contractors who might be of interest - email me and I will be glad to assist.
Cheers
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 04:59   #8

Hi James - Thanks for the words of support! Paul, we're on a mooring in Hebe Haven Bay, on the border of the HHYC and RHKYC moorings! will email you and would greatly appreciate your list of contacts/suppliers. We are keen to get our heads around as much of this as we can, as much for self-sufficiency in the future, in addition to keeping the costs under control!
Lesley
Old 17-02-2010, 05:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Prosperity to you too. I lived in HK from 2000-2004 (in Discovery Bay). Kept my sloop on a mooring in Cheng Sha Lan.

The BEST BOAT DEALS IN HK (on chandlery-type stuff) are had in the Reclamation Rd. area of Mong Kok. If you walk around there for awhile, you'll find a dozen or so shops that typically cater to the commercial shipping, but there's plenty of rigging, fittings, etc. that will be of use to you. The prices are 1/5 what you pay at a "yacht supply" shop for the same or inferior quality stuff, and the vendors are quite happy to help you out with a small job.
Old 17-02-2010, 05:19   #10

sneuman -thank you! Can't wait for Chinese New Year celebrations to be finished and for us to get down there!
Old 17-02-2010, 08:58   #11

Boat: Downeast 38 - Scappare
Hi bonjourmatelot,
Welcome to HK and Happy Year of the Tiger!
I have had my 38ft cutter moored in Middle Island for the last year and have done not nearly as much refitting as I originally planned. Not just, but also because I have found it difficult to get quotes and even interest from contractors to do some work. I have been pretty happy with the marine shops in Ap Lei Chau Main street though: affordable and friendly. I'll post a bit of info soon! @DH Hong Kong: It'd be great if you could share your list of suppliers!
Cheers
Jo
JoSchmaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 09:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSchmaltz View Post
Hi bonjourmatelot,
Welcome to HK and Happy Year of the Tiger!
I have had my 38ft cutter moored in Middle Island for the last year and have done not nearly as much refitting as I originally planned. Not just, but also because I have found it difficult to get quotes and even interest from contractors to do some work. I have been pretty happy with the marine shops in Ap Lei Chau Main street though: affordable and friendly. I'll post a bit of info soon! @DH Hong Kong: It'd be great if you could share your list of suppliers!
Cheers
Jo
Good point, Ap Lei Chau ("Duck's Tongue Island" ... I love that) is also good. As I recall, there are two shops side-by-side and then another side street with some other offerings. but I found the shops there a little limited. For rigging, Mong Kok is definitely better, but for fenders, paint, etc., some electric components, Ap Lei Chau is the place to go.
Old 17-02-2010, 18:36   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440
Yes, ApLeiChau is the place - the store is probably Kwok Yee Lee in Main Street (ask for Patrick) but there are a couple of others around the corner with rope and general boat gear. A bit of an experience to see how they find stuff in these places with no stock locators apart from what is in their heads!! Also a radiop place across from Kwok Yee Lee.
Jo, I dopn't know how to stick the list to this thread so will copy you on my email to the matelots.
Cheers
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 22:24   #14

Post Shopping Guide for Yachties

Great stuff from DHHong Kong (see attached): An old but but very extensive list of places to get everything...Thanks Paul.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf yachtie shopping 1.pdf (193.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: pdf yachtie shopping 2.pdf (209.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 18-02-2010, 22:54   #15

Shopping Guide for Yachties (updated version)

Thanks to Rory Larkan from Seeway Ltd - here is an updated version of the Shopping Guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mongkok.pdf (175.6 KB, 3469 views)