Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 20:18   #1

Kingston Hello

Hello,

I'm a canadian soldier, living in Kingston On.
I've been thinkering with the idea of buying a sailboat for a long time now but somehow always got sidetracked... primarily crawling through mud or jumping out of airplanes... (hardly a state any respectable sailor would find himself in).

Since I have now more military years behind rather than in front of me, I thought a change of environment would do me good. I'm now posted in Kingston, ON, and discovering that it is somewhat of a hardcore sailing community so this year is the year I start doing something about it.

Not knowing how to do things half way, I'm sinking myself teeth and nails into this and am taking all the courses that are available in the area: Power squadron Boating course, marine radio, gps, celestial navigation. etc. (Wow, is there a lot of stuff to learn!)

Of course I'm shopping for the perfect sailboat, hope to live on it for a bit, dream of traveling the world with it etc. etc. (as I said, I've never been able to do things half way).

All that to say: I've got a million questions and I hope you'll be patient with me.

Ian
Medicjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 21:13   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Kingston hello

Welcome to the forum Ian. I did the Power Squadron in 1976. I never looked back
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 21:22   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

Glad you are here Ian. Keep asking the questions, this is a great place to find answers.
Spencer
Old 03-10-2011, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38   #5

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Welcome aboard Ian!

I'm sure you know but just in case you aren't aware there is a yacht club at CFB Trenton. That may be a good place to meet other sailers in the Canadian Forces and possibly a place to keep your boat, although a bit of a drive from Kingston. We visited there a few years ago and found it to be a very pleasant locale (although all the planes taking off sorta broke the silence of the morning ).

Yes, power squadron is an excellent place to start. As is Cruisers Forum!
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58   #6

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Medicjumper:

I'm sure it's a typo, but what a great word you've invented: "thinkering."

Sort of intellectual tinkering or maybe random thinking. Great.

I will be filing the serial numbers off and using that.

And if it isn't a typo, you are a genius.

I come from a service family .. brother and sister both in the forces (both retired now), dad in the RCAF, grand-dad in the navy, and family scuttlebutt has it that someone way back when was with Nelson at Trafalgar. No evidence of that last bit, of course.

So I know Kingston a little bit -- my sister was married in the sergeant's mess at CFB Kingston -- and it does seem to be a bit of a sailing mecca. I'm told there is always good wind.

FYI, CFB Trenton has a yacht club, although I don't think there's one at CFB Kingston. Dunno why. I know when my brother was at CFB Chilliwack, the base had a small sailing facility on a nearby lake, but I never knew how that was organized.

As you move along, though, consider joining a club -- lots of camaraderie, the occasional spot of help, and tons of advice, all free and sometimes worth it. One benefit is that most clubs in Ontario have reciprocal privileges with many others -- meaning you can sail there and stay for a night or so for free. Cheap way to see the lake.

Even without a boat of your own, you can usually join as a crew member and offer to help out on race nights. You can get experience on different boats and get an idea what would suit you.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Kingston Hello

Welcome Aboard CF
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:58   #8

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

I am a newbie too. I am a bit NW of you near Bancroft, about a 2 hour drive to Kingston via a bunch of back roads.

Welcome to the forum. I've been hanging out here a few months. Good bunch of people.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 19:54   #9

Thank you all!

I've been talking to the folks at the CFB Kingston Yacht club but since we're coming up to the end of the season there's nothing to do but wait until spring.

I also managed to get on a crew during the cork regata. I had no idea what I was doing but wouldnt you know, the skipper complimented me on obeying orders quickly! :-) (he didn't know my background).

As for Thinkering, you are welcome to steal/borrow the word as you please. I wish I could say it wasn't a typo but alas!
Medicjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:19   #10

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicjumper View Post
I've been talking to the folks at the CFB Kingston Yacht club but since we're coming up to the end of the season there's nothing to do but wait until spring.
I didn't know there was a CFB Kingston Yacht Club. That is even better than Trenton for you.

The nice things about clubs, if you weren't aware, is reciprocal privileges. With a membership in most yacht clubs you can sail to any other club in the region and stay for free or at a reduced rate.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:38   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I've been thinkering a lot lately too. I don't get much done while doing it but it is a lot of fun. Of course it wasn't a typo.
kind regards,
Old 26-10-2011, 20:50   #12

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard. About a hundred years ago I spent 4 months at the RCEME compound in Kingston taking basics for OTC. That was my first introduction to sailing. The College had some small sailboats that we used on occasional weekends. That was my first training. I was a prairie boy before that. Scewed me up for life.
Old 26-10-2011, 20:50   #13

Boat: Oyster 53

Welcome. Years ago, when I was stuck in the northeast for the winter and just getting into sailing like you, I managed to escape for a week down to Florida, Captiva Island, I believe. I did a week long cruising course with the Offshore Sailing School and had a great time. I managed to learn more about sailing and have a warm break at the same time. Highly recommended.

Dhillen