Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 16:33   #1

Boat: Young Sun 35
Send a message via Skype™ to fwalschots
Just Hung up the Corporate Wardrobe

Hi everyone.

Been a member for a few months, first post. Great information on this site and looking forward to sharing my new adventures and make new friends along the way.

As the title says, just decided to get out of the corporate world and follow my dreams, not sure yet how I am going to do it!. Can't do much until July 2012 as I have many things to wrap up etc.

Background: Very experienced around boats having had my own boat building business some years ago. So maintenance, repairs etc no problem. Have sailed/Raced for many years on Maxis to Hobie cats but mostly Coastal etc, no real offshore, yet.

Not really wanting to sail singlehandedly so will need to find a crew etc.

Most probably look for a boat around 40-45ft. Displacement cruiser.

Would appreciate some advice from those having gone down this path. These are some of the options I am considering.

1. Do i purchase a yacht here in australia, cruise the coast for a few months, find a crew and then head off to heavens knows where?.

2. Travel to the US (boats cheaper) buy a boat and try and find a compentent crew to sail back to Australia. Not sure what I would be in for on a haul that long.

3. Find a crew position (anywhere), gain experience, have fun and gain more research on suitable boats for myself before purchasing.

If I took option 3, how easy is it to find a crew position (unpaid). as I will be renting out my house here I don't have the option of just going back home in between crewing.

I also just joined the 'Singles' group here as well. Ideally it would be great to find a like minded person to share the experience with.

Thanks for reading my post.

cheers

Frans
fwalschots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 16:54   #2

Boat: 1963 Columbia 24, Hull 30. SailingSineMetu.com
Welcome! I would say we have jackets, but that would be a lie —we have tans!
JBWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:00   #3

Re: Just Hung up the Corporate Wardrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWrites View Post
Welcome! I would say we have jackets, but that would be a lie —we have tans!
The only jacket I want to wear is a 'Wet Weather' one..lol.. If I follow the warm weather, shorts forever...

cheers
Old 14-02-2012, 17:06   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwalschots View Post
The only jacket I want to wear is a 'Wet Weather' one..lol.. If I follow the warm weather, shorts forever...

cheers
time for new avatar .............. that doesn't have a suit and tie

this will greatly help you in your cruising dreams
Old 14-02-2012, 17:35   #5

Hey Don...

Just got that avatar..lol... Will use it for the time being to remind me that I don't want to back to the corporate world...

Now I just need to find a boat for a new avatar..

Frans
Old 14-02-2012, 17:38   #6

Boat: Bristol 34
Welcome Frans, gave up the Corp wold myself a few yeas back. Never been happier. Fair winds.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:51   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I SOOOoooooooooo cant wait to make that same statement. I currently travel (Fly) about 40 weeks out of the year and am really looking forward to not doing it anymore at some point. Best of Luck!!!!! I am sure you can get some crew experience, boats are definitly cheaper and more abundant I think in the US, and cruising here (Fl and keys and Bahamas) etc is a great way to build your experience and confidence before serious blue water trips, and prepare you for a Journey going back. Not sure if youd want or need to. Take a few years off, do some coastal cruising and build your skills pull the boat hurricane seasons fly back home or dont and repeat, then decide where life takes you!
Either Cheers !!! and welcome aboard!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:02   #8

Hey Dulcesuenos.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I only made the decision yesterday and today the magnitude of that decision is hitting home... WTF...lol... but no regrets in making the decision. Life is an adventure. I have always been a risk taker in my life so I am really looking fwd to the unknown.

Sometimes you just have to make the decision. Look at all the reasons to 'DO IT'...

Hope you make your decision soon.

cheers

Frans
Old 14-02-2012, 18:15   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Welcome to the other side of life where your cup is always half full

I would head for the USA's East coast and pick up a deal on a cool boat before there's no more deals and while your at it cruse the Bahamas learning your new boat, then sail the easy down wind west to home on a good weather window and your half way round the big blue marble or more.

Nice suit were you a funeral director HAHA (coming from an ex mech eng)
Old 14-02-2012, 18:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Welcome to the other side of life where your cup is always half full

I would head for the USA's East coast and pick up a deal on a cool boat before there's no more deals and while your at it cruse the Bahamas learning your new boat, then sail the easy down wind west to home on a good weather window and your half way round the big blue marble or more.

Nice suit were you a funeral director HAHA (coming from an ex mech eng)
Seriously that pic was taken at my dads funeral.. Sometimes you just have to stand out from the crowd...

I agree the East Coast is the way to go for a boat.. I am sure there will be heaps of good deals come July unless the US economy does a backflip...lol.. In the meantime I'll do heaps of research and gather as much info as possible.

Jammin.. thnx for your reply..

cheers

Frans
Old 14-02-2012, 18:38   #11

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwalschots View Post
Seriously that pic was taken at my dads funeral.. Sometimes you just have to stand out from the crowd...

Jammin.. thnx for your reply..

cheers

Frans

It was my dad's wishes for me to buy something sporty with my inheritance money so we did a couple years ago
Old 14-02-2012, 18:41   #12

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Ahoy Frans,
From the other side of the globe, congrats on taking the plunge. I did it about a year and a half ago. Very strange, one day head filled with phone numbers, people, problems, and the next, nothing, quiet, little wavelets, some ducks quacking. Like breaking a mold and taking the new casting out, a new you. I guess I was already doing the boat thing and needed to retire to do what I wanted to do. Didn't expect all the changes that ensued. Very happy and hope you will be too.
Fair winds and seas,
Andy S.
s/v Kaimu
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Maybe join the Yacht club in Canberra and ask around. I know most members are trailer sailer etc, but people there may know people etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:17   #14

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design

Frans,

I am jealous!

Good on ya and I wish you all the best.

I was thinking when I pull the pin on the corporate world I will have a formal Neck Tie burning ceremony to ensure I dont wear one again.

Buy your boat wherever you can ensure you have time to set it up and make changes to the boat to suit you. Allow time to do some cruising close to home so you can check all the systems and equipment on your boat. So if you buy O.S you may want to spend time at a good marina close to marine supplies and hardware stores before you take off.

Either way all the best

Scott
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:56   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
It was my dad's wishes for me to buy something sporty with my inheritance money so we did a couple years ago
20 years ago I explained to my father that once I inherited that I would p#ss all his money up against a wall .....he still remembers that conversation , and it did the trick in getting him to spend at least a bit more on enjoying himself. I just hope I haven't shot myself in the foot .

In regard to OP, I think that any of the 3 options are perfectly feasible (and upsides & downsides to all) - IMO really depends on what floats yer boat .

Given that not constrained by time, personally I would buy in the States (or Caribbean) with a view to floating around the Carribean (etc) for a year or 2 (or more!) , at own speed - and then decide whether to head to Europe or accross the Pacific (by then your ideas / dreams / plans will probably have changed, on both what want to do and maybe even on the boat).

Can still start (or mix up) with crewing for others (being willing to chip in for expenses will likely mean you can pick carefully, boat and skipper if not on exact timing).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote