Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 05:11   #1

Boat: Jaguar 27
Just agreed to buy an ex-charter Jaguar 27 in Greece

Hi forum!

I did my first yacht sailing in 1989 with a delivery of a Norwegian-owned Beneteau First 42 from Gribralter to Split. We had a week of force 9 on the nose, which meant my first captain and crewmate ran out of time by the time we reached Cagliary, Sardinia. They were replaced by alcoholic ex-mercenaries, live abaords there, who I didn't really get on with. They loved to complain about sea water getting in their whiskies on deck while frazzled and demonstrating to this novice how to lash the wheel and let the boat sail herself - while we slipped miles backwards. The only way to make progress was to do 16 hour shifts at the wheel. I got off 'early' at Gallipoli, on the inside heel of Italy. My sailing experiences have only got better since!

All my early sea miles were deliveries - always the wrong time of year, in the wrong direction in mostly unpleasant conditions - the passages the owners or the their friends were not prepared to do, e.g. sailing from the Northern tip of Denmark across the North Sea in January.

Then one day, when I working as a marine electrician in Marrmaris marina (there was only one then), a French-Swiss skipper called Bernard asked me to crew on a delivery to Dubrovnik. I discovered the real pleasures of sailing! You can actually stop at nightime! Even have a meal ashore!

I crewed the remainder of that season on the classic skooner, the 'Vileehi', this time with pay.

My first owned yacht was a four-year old, Greek-flagged Dromor Athena 44' charter boat. This was the five-cabin version suited to both bareboat and skippered charter. I did a few deliveries between paid charters and one skippered charter on her. It was one of those complex financing deals and when she was crashed into rocks the year of the Athens olympics during a long-term charter to a professional skipper, what little I got back in insurance and court winnings did not pay for loan + repairs + marina fees. My 'investment' was totally lost and a lesson was learned.

So, many years and a few modest charters later, starting to make money over the internet and with a small house in the Peloponnese, I have just signed the contract to buy an ex-flotilla Jaguar 27 (same design as he U.S. Catalina 27) which I hope to get much more personal value out of than my last yacht! She appears to have been well-maintained and adapted for the Greek flotilla market (bathing platform, in-mast furling main sail, recent mast, rigging, sails and engine etc.).

I will be asking questions in the main forums. For now, consider me introduced!

Tim.
timmillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 07:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Just agreed to buy an ex-charter Jaguar 27 in Greece

Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 07:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just agreed to buy an ex-charter Jaguar 27 in Greece

Greetings and Salutations..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:20   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 31-08-2014, 21:45   #5

Boat: Jaguar 27

Many thanks!

We are sailing now. I am writing a blog of our journey.
timmillea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Greece, jaguar