Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03   #1

Boat: Yankee Dolphin, 24
It's Raining in Anchorage . . .

Good morning on the west coast, and good afternoon on the east coast.

I have been reseaching, and following posts on CF for nearly a year now. In August of 2010, I had surveyed, and purchased an S&S designed Yankee Dolphin, built by Yankee Yachts in 1971, hull no. 245. She surveyed well, and the rest is history.

Windswept, now Windswept too, has been sitting on the hard in Bremerton, WA, and covered for nearly 10 years. I had her transported to Anchorage, where a partial refit is underway in my driveway.

I would like to get some sailing in this season. She was barrier coated in 87, not sailed much, then the previous owner passed. So my plan is to sand the bottom, and replace with two coats of CSC, and four coats, two primer, on the top sides.

The teak toe rail is okay but needs some minor epoxy repairs, and varnish. I mentioned aluminum toe rails to another Dolphin owner, and that got me nowhere. So it looks like new teak toe rails will be a winter project.

She is fitted with deck hardware for numerous sail configurations, which hasn't been difficult to decipher, but I'm not sure is conducive to single handing. So my plan at the moment is to get her back to the basic main sail, and 100% jib configuration. Hardware toward this end will be rebedded, and that which isn't will be removed, and the holes epoxied. I'm going to refinish the deck, and begin restoring the interior next year.

We'll be sailing out of Big Lake for the next three years, and then, if all works out, we'll being moving to Sitka, and my retirement.

Included are two pictures of Windswept too, on the hard in Bremerton, and in Port Orchard, so I could have her trailer updated.

That's all I have for now. It's still raining but otherwise a wonderful day to spend with Windswept too. Clinton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	29150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	29151  

windswept too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: It's raining in Anchorage....

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

Nice looking
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:09   #3

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Rain is a good thing at times. Because you can fill your water tanks with the runoffs.
Enjoy your sail.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Clinton, There's great promise in the adventures of fitting out for cruising,- congratulations. Is that the foot of an outboard in a lazerette well that I see or is that just the inside of the travelift wheel that I'm looking at in the first photo? If it's a well for an outboard, this excells. I believe it's better to have the outboard forward of the transom so you're less likely to have the prop out of the water when you're bouncing in a chop.
Old 02-07-2011, 16:13   #5

Thanks everyone so far for the kind welcome.

CaptForce, you are correct. The 1981, 9.9hp, 4 stroke Honda is too heavy, and will not turn in the well. I'm sure it weighs more than a 100lbs; it's being replaced with a much lighter, and more efficient 4hp, 4 stroke. Not a final solution, but okay for lake use.

Boasun, I agree, and I shouldn't ever run out of fresh water between here, and Sitka. And, Unicorn Dreams, I agree she's nice looking.

I was fortunate enough to date a rather nice girl after a stint in the Army, and while in college, at Long Beach. Her parents were members of the CYC, Marina Del Rey, and she invited me to lunch one day. It was aboard her parents S&S designed sloop. I lost touch with the girl, but never forgot the beatiful lines of the S&S. Funny, I can remember the vessel but not much of the girl. A little out of my league anyway.
Old 02-07-2011, 16:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by windswept too View Post
.............. Funny, I can remember the vessel but not much of the girl. A little out of my league anyway.
Maybe not so funny,- Your league may be the turn of the bilge and the tumble home as well as a woman that appreciates the same!
Old 15-07-2011, 16:59   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: It's Raining in Anchorage ...

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Great pocket cruiser you have there. Good luck on the refit.
kind regards,
Old 15-07-2011, 17:16   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: It's Raining in Anchorage ...

Raining in Anchorage? Was told that is normal.

Last time in Anchorage, most everyone went to shore. Having been there several times, decided to stay aboard and converse with the wildlife.

Old 15-07-2011, 22:45   #9

Re: It's Raining in Anchorage . . .

JohnL, thanks for the warm welcome. Have done a ton of sanding, and epoxy primerkote is still a week or so away.

markpierce, if you paid for a cruise to Anchorage, I hate to tell you that crow is looking at you.

Seriously, Alaska is a pretty nice place, I've lived here 31 years, but my retirement plans are to keep my home in Anchorage, and spend part of the year on Windswept too, in Sitka.

As for the rain, I live up against the mountians and usually not a lot of rain, except in August. But when I posted here it was a different story.
Old 15-07-2011, 23:33   #10

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Welcome to the forum - I just returned from a couple of weeks in Sitka on business. I lucked out and only saw rain a couple of days. It's beautiful when the sun is out - probably beautiful when it's not, just can't see it. Collecting fresh water shouldn't be a problem in Sitka. I get to Anchorage every 6 to 8 weeks - send me a PM with contact info and I get in touch next trip down south.

I look forward to meeting you.
John
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 23:51   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by windswept too View Post
markpierce, if you paid for a cruise to Anchorage, I hate to tell you that crow is looking at you.
Of course. Don't you look at the person/consciousness you're talking with? However, I found my weekly conversations with two ravens more interesting, having established a relationship with them as a volunteer with a wildlife museum.
Old 16-07-2011, 06:52   #12

I thought to myself...did I say crow? Sure did.
Quote:
Don't you look at the person/consciousness you're talking with?
All phenomena is created by the mind; so consciousness yes, body no. The two are not the same.

I find ravens fascinating. For a while last winter, there were six or eight that literally followed me around, walking not flying, but haven't seen them in a while. Fascinating living beings.
Old 16-07-2011, 07:08   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The raven is a highly regarded creature among the local Indians. Some even think they created the world.

Raven in mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
anchor