Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 06:45   #1

it's not too late!--dreamers checking in

hi all, I am suse and I am so glad to have found this site for it's friendly and informative discussions.

this summer dh and I sold our little farm in Vermont (after 25 years) and have bought an rv with which to explore the countryside while we decide if we can pull this lifestyle off.
i'm 53, he's 71 and while we are both pretty healthy overall, we've each had serious cancers which has given us quite the wakeup call!
we are loving living in the rv but share a love of boats and marinas and the call of the sea.
and since we may not have the luxury of time we're thinking of renting/leasing a liveaboard for next winter to see if it's for us.
we're good with almost anywhere warm and congenial, so please tell us about your favorite places to dock/live on your boat if you are so inclined.
thanks!!
suse1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 06:54   #2

Boat: American Tug
My wife and I really like the Fort Myers FL area and it's access to the Gulf of Mexico and the Keys. Good medical care too. Friendly community.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 06:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: it's not too late!--dreamers checking in

We enjoy the protected waters of the St Johns river south of Jacksonille, Florida for mild weather, storm protection, inexpensive marinas, daysailing and access to long range cruising.
Old 26-11-2013, 06:55   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will have no shortage of suggestions here about where you might want to go and tie up. You have a unique position in that that you can visit many different ports and get a feel for how they are and find out what the nuts and bolts expenses are for different ports, as well as the logistical challenges for getting around. I hope you find the information you are looking for.
Old 26-11-2013, 06:59   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hello to you two. Sorry to hear about your wake-up. We have met a few people in a similar circumstance, some of them are good friends. There is no time to waste and your idea of renting a "ready to go" boat is a good one.

To buy one and prepare it for cruising can be a life's work.

Why not ask around if there are cruisers who have a spare cabin? Some are willing to share their boat, perhaps on a shared costs basis.

I know we have had people aboard from time to time and it has been a mutually rewarding experience, at least, and sometimes a life changing event for all.

You have to choose carefully though... and get your passports up to date. The very best of luck to you.
Old 26-11-2013, 07:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Finding a boat to rent/lease will be difficult, but the good news is that depending on the type of boat/budget you have there are plenty of used boats on the market that won't crush your cruising kitty with the purchase price. Start hanging out with cruisers and boaters and sucking in as much info as possible.

My one big piece of advice for you is to figure out what YOU like and what works for YOU. So many times the advice given on chat sites is what works for the person giving the advice with little thought of your situation or needs. So take all the advice listen to it and then throw most of it away and do what works for you. There are as many ways to do this Cruising/Live Aboard lifestyle as their are stars in the sky...the skys the limit.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 07:14   #7

thanks so much for the well wishes! we have our passports at the ready just in case an adventure lands in our laps, lol.
and I do think renting/leasing is a good way to go--it'll be easy enough to park the rv for a season or year if necessary.
now to find someone willing to rent/lease their baby to us!
I placed an ad in the boat section of craigslist looking for a houseboat to rent this winter so we can start on this massive learning curve. have downloaded the florida boating course online and we'll start working on that tonight.
we are spending the winter in an rv park which is on a big lake in central florida, and now have the time, the proximity and the desire, next stop is a boat upon which we can learn and 'get our feet wet'
suse1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 07:31   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Go to Green Cove Springs and check it out. Lots of ex-cruisers and active cruisers there. They even live in their rvs on the grounds. Also about the most inexpensive place in FL for boats. Near St. Augustine and JAX.
Old 26-11-2013, 08:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Suse and DH and welcome to the forum.

A couple of thoughts on your plan. First, while not completely unheard of, long term rental of a boat is not common. The typical is for renting (or charter) for 1-3 weeks from a company that charters boats on a commercial basis. You might try to negotiate a long term discount with a charter company, especially in their off season but still might be expensive.

You can try to rent long term from an owner that is cash strapped or not using the boat but the problem for the owner is that renting their boat may bring up insurance and business issues.

I live in north FL and kept my boat at Green Cove Springs and also report a very positive experience. If you want reasonably warm weather for the winter you will probably need to focus on FL or the Gulf Coast unless you want to try CA. Be advised, if you do go to CA better bring your big wallet along, you'll need it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 08:39   #10

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse1023 View Post
hi all, I am suse and I am so glad to have found this site for it's friendly and informative discussions.

this summer dh and I sold our little farm in Vermont (after 25 years) and have bought an rv with which to explore the countryside while we decide if we can pull this lifestyle off. I'm 53, he's 71 and while we are both pretty healthy overall, we've each had serious cancers which has given us quite the wakeup call!
we are loving living in the rv but share a love of boats and marinas and the call of the sea.
and since we may not have the luxury of time we're thinking of renting/leasing a liveaboard for next winter to see if it's for us.
we're good with almost anywhere warm and congenial, so please tell us about your favorite places to dock/live on your boat if you are so inclined.
thanks!!
We are sort of in the same situation, except we have been a live aboard for 18 years. I am retiring, that still sound strange/scary, next year and we are planning on buying a motor home to be snow birds and land cruise the US and south of the boarder to figure out where we might want to retire. We like the water, and being the Eagle is a long range coastal cruiser we could move her down the Pacific coast to warm climate and may be even the East coast. We bought the boat to be a dock condo, long story, and be able to move it around if necessary, moved 6 times. We like the idea of being mobile and not tied to one place. So you might want to look at a boat?

We plan on not living on the Eagle for 9 moths of the years and we have talk about renting it or finding a boat sitter, but they would not be allowed to take the boat out unless they had knowledge. experience with a boat that size and the insurance company approved. When the boat is tied to the dock its pretty much like an RV. If you can live on one you can live in the other.

If you have questions you can ask them or send a personal massage.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 13:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We met a couple recently as cruising neighbors sailing from Long Island Sound and down to the Chesapeake. They were from New Zealand and on board a catamaran that belonged to the couple that were traveling about New Zealand in their RV. They had arranged the "home" swap online. I don't know what site they used, but there's a number of these domestic and international exchange programs.
Old 27-11-2013, 04:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, suse1023.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 17:36   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Hope you can find your paradise.