Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 06:34   #1

Boat: Laguna Windrose 18'
Introduction and Query

I joined this list today as I own my father's Laguna Windrose 18' sailboat. I grew up sailing on this boat and it was passed on to me and I don't have the size or ability to sail it alone. I am wavering between selling it and finding a person or persons to sail with me. It was garage kept and lovingly buffed on a weekly basis and has no dents or mars. Other than needing new cushions it is in perfect shape.
Wondered if anyone on this forum has knowledge or can tell me the value of the boat. I bought new tires for the trailer last year as the ones on the trailer had dry rotted. It has been stored in one of my barns for over a decade now and my dad would roll over in his grave if he knew that. Our cars were parked in the driveway so he could keep his beloved boat under cover!
I grew up in Michigan where lakes were everywhere and there was always a Canadian wind. Not much of either here in the Appalachian Mountains, so trying to decide whether to continue dreaming about sailing again or letting her go...
Comments or suggestions are welcome! Also, if anyone has any idea what the boat would be worth. I know a lot of people restore this particular boat as the company went out of business but had a great reputation. The boat is seaworthy and doesn't really need any restoration, just a more experienced Captain than me!
Suki, on dry land in the Mountains of Virginia!
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 06:44   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Introduction and Query

Welcome Aboard CF

If you don't HAVE to need the money, WHY SELL

You may get a job transfer the day after you sell it and then you will be pissed. But if you never plan on moving, why keep it.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 06:47   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

My reading of this tells me there is too much love and emotional attachment to have $s in place of this boat. I sincerely hope you find someone to sail it with you.
Old 19-06-2011, 06:53   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

A hard thing to do, and also you may not get much for it too, and that may feel insulting. However, if you free yourself up from it whats the downside in reality? Very little. If sometime you move to the water you can buy another.

And perhaps if you sell it someone will get good use from it now.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 07:02   #5

I agree I'd probably not get what it is worth and I AM emotionally attached to her and would end up with regrets but feel bad she just sits in the barn. I have dreams of moving to Belize and it would be perfect there. But dreams are not reality! And I don't meet many people who sail in the Appalachian Mountains! I still admire how my dad could sail it alone, get the mast up without assistance and all, it just is more than I would chew off!
Old 19-06-2011, 07:35   #6

Cleaned up but nowhere to go!

She is a racing sailboat, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00040.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	28747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	28748  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00041.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	28749  
Old 12-07-2011, 20:21   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Boats that size are not fetching a very high price regardless of the care they've had in the past. I'd say $1000 to $3000 is what you'd get depending on the market in your area.
Unless you are extremely small you would be able to develop the skills necessary to sail her within a few weeks if you took some classes or hooked up with an experienced sailor.
I hope you can come up with a good decision that will suit your needs.
Good luck in whichever you decide.
kind regards,
Old 12-07-2011, 20:43   #8

SkiprJohn:
Thanks for that input and infusing that information helps as I would never let that gal so for that price. For that, I can afford to sink her! And have fun doing so!
I sent my 14 year old son off to Boy Scout Camp this summer taking sailing lessons and after a week he returned and professed he can sail her...hm...gotta admire his self confidence at the very least, but given that he sailed very small boats..for 5 days, well...I am not convinced!
Well, gotta admire his confidence anyway and it's a start as I couldn't fathom the reality to sail her alone. Her size is intimidating but perhaps now that I have someone who, after one week at camp, thinks he can sail her..well, now there are two crazy souls wanting to sail that boat so maybe we can figure it out!
Old 12-07-2011, 21:16   #9

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndWind View Post
SkiprJohn:
Thanks for that input and infusing that information helps as I would never let that gal so for that price. For that, I can afford to sink her! And have fun doing so!
I sent my 14 year old son off to Boy Scout Camp this summer taking sailing lessons and after a week he returned and professed he can sail her...hm...gotta admire his self confidence at the very least, but given that he sailed very small boats..for 5 days, well...I am not convinced!
Well, gotta admire his confidence anyway and it's a start as I couldn't fathom the reality to sail her alone. Her size is intimidating but perhaps now that I have someone who, after one week at camp, thinks he can sail her..well, now there are two crazy souls wanting to sail that boat so maybe we can figure it out!
"Someone" at the boy scout camp knows how to sail, I'll bet if you ask the'd take you out and show you the ropes(sheets). If not look on the ASA website for a local school, they are all across the U.S. and chances there is one in your area.

As for your son. everyone of us started somewhere and most took the big step from a dinghy to a bigger boat. If he is that confident, he probably has what it takes. Pick a day where the winds are light and let him show you his stuff!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction