Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 19:19   #1

Wink Introduction

Hi to all, I've just joined. I started sailing just a few years ago as crew, better known as 'ballast' on a 17' Prindle. After the captain sank her, we moved up to an 18' Supercat. She was aged at time of purchase and started taking on water through her delaminating hulls when a rouge wave took her down off the coast of Florida during a race. Next vict.-- er, cat was an Inter 18. She was a lot of fun, but I found that pitchpolling in a choppy ocean was just NOT my cup of tea.
So, now, I'm crew on a Catalac 27, safely cruising (day sailing) the Intracoastal in central Florida - except the part where we brought her home in front of Katrina.
I'm being, umm, Encouraged to Embrace the Adventure of cruising to the Bahamas. And, so, now... here I am to learn more about the venture and to be reassured that sailing a 27" cat across the ocean is not as crazy at it sounds!
Oh, the viking above? My Norwegian blood is calling
amberdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:06   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Amber,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. Can learn a lot from the folks here. So, make your comments and ask your questions.
I didn't know Norwegians sailed catamarans. Learn something every day!
Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:09   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Welcome to the Forum amberdell. I'm sure you'll find us friendly and reasonably knowledgable, even if we can't all spell very well.

Good to see you are working your way up with cat's. don't let anyone here try to talk you out of 'em.

Have fun

Dave
Old 08-11-2006, 20:42   #4

No, I don't think that Eric had any cats in his fleet, but he Was set out for adventure on the sea!

My transition from the beachcats to the cruising cat did take some convincing and then an Act of God to make it happen. After the pitchpole incident I quite sailing. I missed being out on a good sailing day, but not enough.
Then, when gale force winds were building and there was no one else to draft, I crewed to bring Catalpa home as Katrina came across south Florida. Winds were 45 knots with gusts even stronger, rain was blinding, I'D NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!! She was solid and steady, the chop was of little consequence and even when the BIG trollers powered by, with the additional wake tossing over her rails, she went through it faster and forward with barely a slap or a roll.
So, I tell myself, we survived this. There were no 15 foot waves, the sails were stowed, the diesels were sound, and she felt really good when the bows went down and we were travelling at 9+ knots in front of the wind.
It was a rush.
So, maybe crossing the Gulfstream at night to cruise to the Bahamas may not be so bad?
I'm looking forward to being here and what lies ahead
Old 09-11-2006, 17:25   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Admiral Amberdell

There are some very nice and very knowledgeable people here. I hope you get as much from participating on this forum as I have.

Your Captain always

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:24   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Amberdell;

The question of crossing and cruising the Bahamas in a 27' foot boat may not be as important a question as who your skipper is. Do you plan on going with the same captain that had two boats sink under him/her and another pitchpole?

Considerable reflection is advised.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:12   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Amberdell - a lovely name. Hope you realise the dreams and the forum helps you to do so.

JOHN
Old 10-11-2006, 15:55   #8

KaptainKen,
I've much more confidence in my current captain than in the prevous one. With considerable reflection, I'm taking a leap of faith. Given the preparations are complete, then the crossing will be an adventure worth while.