Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45   #1

Introducing Myself ...

Hi all,

I am a software engineer and IT consultant that has become increasing disheartened with his present lifestyle and is thinking of changing it all by becoming a live-aboard and spending the rest of his days traveling around visiting places that he's always wanted to go.

Part of the reasoning for my change is that I also suffer from Social Anxiety and prefer my own company to that of other peoples. I can interact perfectly fine with people from a distance or via radio, telephone, internet, etc... but being surrounded by lots of people scares the feces out of me. I am currently classed as mentally disabled because of this, which although I don't agree with... ESA/DLA is the only income I currently have due to not being able to work/function well around others

This will be a MAJOR change (and challange) for myself and I will most likely need some pointers in the right direction, along with a kick up the mule sometimes.

I start my "voyage" of learning in probably the wrong place by looking at cheap boats that "I" can afford (think upto £5000). My list of things on a boat that Im looking for (in order) are currently:
* Single-handable (lifestyle)
* Ocean-capable (lifestyle)
* Cheap (cost)
* Sailboat (cost)
* Diesel engine (cost)
* Fibreglass/GRP (safety, incase the worst happens)
Does this look like a decent starting list, or am I missing something?

I envisage living at the marina in Preston, UK to start off... this is because the boat will be being bought for me by a friend and I will be able to rent it from his company. Once the rent has been enough to pay him back for buying the boat, he will sell me the company that owns the boat thereby bypassing the charges for re-registering a boat to a new owner.

I have been told by my friend that I need to attend RYA courses in order to be able to get insurance for the boat, does anyone know the vailidity of this information and what courses I need to progress through in order to be allowed to sail anywhere I choose (oceans, international destinations, etc)?

Also, as soon as I leave the UK... I will no longer have an "income" and will need to be able to survive on next to nothing. Is this possible? ...and what are the alternatives that come to mind for someone intent on living aboard while traveling?

I have loads more questions as I am completely new to sailing/boating but hopefully one day I will have learned enough and become experienced enough to offer assistance in return... or just to get to know some of you offsite.

If I can help with any IT issues in the meantime, please let me know
Genzzry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43   #2

Re: Introducing myself...

My dream (feel free to laugh, I doubt its possible anymore - but I'll hold onto it anyway):

1) Sail around and visit places all over the world
2) Find a small(ish) island that I like and I could work
3) Build my own place there, with my own hands (for when Im not on the boat)
4) Live there and farm the land, etc

I already grow alot of my own food at home, and spend alot of time in my quite large garden, so would love to be able to live off it and be able to build my own place.

Im not sure if there are still any places left where you can just beach your boat, cut down trees and build your own place without the government or someone asking you for money and bothering you about planning permission, etc... and if there is - Im guessing its under control of not-so-friendly people that probably grow drugs there - lol
Genzzry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 13:58   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genzzry View Post
Hi all,

I am a software engineer and IT consultant that has become increasing disheartened with his present lifestyle and is thinking of changing it all by becoming a live-aboard and spending the rest of his days traveling around visiting places that he's always wanted to go.
Make really sure the change of lifestyle will fix the problem or you may be more disheartened when you discover that you left something a lot better than what you've gotten into and can't go back. I used to change jobs, cars & girlfriends (some changed me) regularly to ease the same disenchantment. For me, my problem was spiritual and no environmental change was going to satisfy the soul. I think man is designed to be restless until you find something of worth, that will last, to invest your life in. My experience is that the perishible things of this world will never deliver lasting satisfaction. But cruising the world by sailboat is a great way to get away from the frantic pace of western society to contemplate all these issues. I can't wait to leave on my dream. Go for yours!
Old 11-08-2012, 15:03   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Genzzry, welcome!

Go for it. An IT income isn't so location-bound as most occupations, so you've got that string to your bow already.

For the idea of out of the way retreats for a garden and a hut, there's plenty of shoreline out there and with a bit of cunning and care in siting and construction and redundancy, it should be quite possible. Be prepared to give it up fast, though. It won't be easy. Probably better to just buy a plot of land, there are still places where foreign land ownership is easy, even for the little guys.

Your outlook is probably closer to the rare breed of self-sufficient cruisers than the suburbanite consumers that want to have the cruiser cake and eat it too. Might be an idea to get a small boat now and start the practical part of your self-education. All the best...
Old 11-08-2012, 15:22   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sailing is never ever a cheap "hobby". Without a source of income, while underway, you have no chance to make it; stay put and make the best of what you have! A boat, like an airplane, is a money hole requiring deep pockets. Sailing alone, is dangerous to say the least. Why don't you find some work in the "sailing world" that would satisfy a portion of your appetite, until something better comes along? This suggested path may be your ticket. Good luck!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Introducing Myself ...

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Genzzry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:07   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I hope reading the many threads on this forum can give you a feeling for the many issues cruisers and liveaboards face. It's a lifestyle that doesn't suit everyone.
kind regards,
Old 26-08-2012, 12:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Genzzary and welcome to the forum.
We are always here to help with questions.

However I would encourage you to maintain social contacts as much as possible. Challenging our fears and phobias is what helps us develop as human beings. I have made some great and close friends sailing.

There are certainly lots of IT related problem sailing . So I am sure you can help us here. Sailing is easy, IT is difficult.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 13:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Welcome,

5000 pounds is not a great deal,you will need at least 30ft to have some comfort, its unlikely you will pick up a boat that does not need some refitting to suit your needs! You will also need to check with the marina that they have a space, how much it costs per month and what are the payment terms and conditions! RYA courses are great and almost certainly available local to you, I take it you are a Brit?? Incredibly as a Brit you dont need any special papers and could set off around the globe in the morning, not a good idea, certainly Day Skipper should be the minamum RYA course you do! Dont forget that boats require maintanence so you need to allow for that as well, good luck! ps www.sailing.gi do rya course in the nice weather off gibraltar, you can fly cheap direct from northern England...
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote