Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 21:34   #1

Boat: 1975 Pearson 10M
In Over My Head in Houston

Hello All! Owning a sailing yacht has been a dream of mine for some years now. I watched every site that sold sailboats, read about them, priced sailing schools. I was getting ready...

Now I have done it. I bought a 1975 Pearson 10M, I have zero sailing experience, and need to fast track it The first hurdle is moving her to a new harbor.

The boat is currently on the Colorado River, 15 miles from the ICW. It is roughly 115 nautical miles to her new home in Kemah. If pressed, I think I can muddle my way through motoring down the ICW and finding my slip. Lots of concerns and questions, even with the easy route. Where is the channel deep enough for my 6' draft? How do I communicate with the locks? Are the bridges tall enough?

I would prefer to enter the Gulf with an experienced sailor aboard, learn some basics and see what she's capable of. I figure it will be a 24-30 hour trip depending on conditions. I will cover all expenses plus some cash for the trouble for anyone qualified, willing, and able to make the trip sometime in the next month or so. If anyone knows of a likely candidate in or around Houston, please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bullship.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	192242  
Pearson10M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 21:48   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: In Over My Head in Houston

Where is the channel deep enough - consult a chart and chart plotter and sonar. Don't know about out east but on the west coast on your VHF radio. I'm hesitant to give a channel as I'm not familiar with your waters.

The bridges, I can't answer.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 22:33   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

Head south. When to get to the locks tern left. ( do not go staight( If you want to to go the gulf go though the left lock and then turn right through the cannel.. Otherwise keep on the iCW for a day and you will be in freeport. Anothother day and you'll be in galveston.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 22:41   #4

Love your spirit and dedication to fulfil your dream. You will look back with pride
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 22:56   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

For many years, activecaptain.com as the go-to crowd-sourced resource for ICW transits. I think they make you sign up for a garmin account these days tho, not sure.

Walk the docks and see if any local salts would be willing to come along with you. If your timing is flexible there's bound to be someone local who can help.

Ahead of depending on the motor on a new-to-you boat, make sure your engine's fuel system is clean before you head out. Replace the filters and know how to bleed the system. Ensuring clean fuel mitigates 90% of all diesel-related issues.

As a general rule, favor the outside of bends in the channel. Water has to travel faster on the outside and thus has less time to drop its sediment and silt up.

Congrats and enjoy!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 03:15   #6

Boat: J Simpson 44' Steel Ketch

While it would definitely be good to have someone aboard with some navigation experience, this sounds like the beginning of an awesome adventure. When Harry Pidgeon built Islander he'd done nothing but canoe, and I'm pretty sure that when Robert Manry launched Tinkerbelle in MA, it was the first time he'd been in the ocean. I have a lot of experience but often find myself over my head - that's how you learn to swim! I tell myself that way crazier people have achieved way crazier things in their boats, and ambition can overcome inexperience if you're smart, resourceful, patient, and not reckless.

Good luck and enjoy! I love the 10m - great boats.
dnbchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 03:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pearson.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 07:29   #8

When do you want to go and what electronics do you have on the boat? Do you have a current survey?

As I recall on the trip, it should take less than 24 hours, assuming normal winds, and as little as 18.

Do you have a date by which you must leave, or are you open? Are you planning a weekend or weekdays?
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 17:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
When do you want to go and what electronics do you have on the boat? Do you have a current survey?

As I recall on the trip, it should take less than 24 hours, assuming normal winds, and as little as 18.

Do you have a date by which you must leave, or are you open? Are you planning a weekend or weekdays?
The timing of the trip is relatively flexible. My schedule is also relatively flexible. I can take off during the week if I choose to. Frankly, I'm ready to go anytime because I'm itching to have her in my slip. The boat is currently docked at the previous owners house, I'm not under any current pressure to move it and he understands the situation. I think he would like to go with me, but his health isn't great.

She has a Garmin chartplotter, I'm not sure the model. I have a handheld Marine radio that should be sufficient for costal sailing. No survey, but a relatively well maintained boat. Diesel cranked right up it's a 2002 model with 600 hours and regular maintenance. Sails and rigging are reportedly in adequate condition. My untrained eye didn't see any faults. Bottom job is 3 years old, so definitely due for that, but I want to get her home first.

Heading tomorrow morning, Sunday, to clean her up a little bit and take inventory of what's on the boat and what she needs to be legal. Anything I should be looking for other than the obvious Coast Guard requirements?
Old 18-05-2019, 17:52   #10

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I was honestly anticipating a lot more, shall we say cautious, advice.
Old 18-05-2019, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
Head south. When to get to the locks tern left. ( do not go staight( If you want to to go the gulf go though the left lock and then turn right through the cannel.. Otherwise keep on the iCW for a day and you will be in freeport. Anothother day and you'll be in galveston.
Any concerns with a 6-foot draft through the ICW?

If I can't find an experienced sailor, I'm going to find a friend is crazy as me so at least one of us can get a video of me sinking the boat. Lol I'm not sure if we're more likely to do that on the gulf or the intercoastal.
Old 18-05-2019, 18:47   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Not familiar with your waters so won't chime in on that subject. however, in your place i'd invest in having a diver clean your bottom before leaving. Three years is enough to grow a forest on your hull, and that has so many adverse effects that I reckon that cleaning would be essential. And (although I've never done this), if going through the ICW, a towing insurance policy is another good investment, especially for beginners who are more likely to put her on the putty than an old salt.

Good luck, and enjoy your boat this time and onward!

Jim
Old 18-05-2019, 20:09   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Do a boater safety course or the free one with boatus.com.
Have fun, be safe. Tow insurance sounds smart and relatively cheap from what I see.
Old 18-05-2019, 21:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Do a boater safety course or the free one with boatus.com.
Have fun, be safe. Tow insurance sounds smart and relatively cheap from what I see.
Thanks! I have taken a boater safety course and have many hundreds of hours of lake experience. Just piloted anything this long, wide, and drafty.

Tow insurance FOR SURE!
Old 18-05-2019, 21:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not familiar with your waters so won't chime in on that subject. however, in your place i'd invest in having a diver clean your bottom before leaving. Three years is enough to grow a forest on your hull, and that has so many adverse effects that I reckon that cleaning would be essential. And (although I've never done this), if going through the ICW, a towing insurance policy is another good investment, especially for beginners who are more likely to put her on the putty than an old salt.

Good luck, and enjoy your boat this time and onward!

Jim
Last 3 years in a freshwater river. I am hoping (maybe too hopeful) that the growth is less than it might otherwise be. Guess I should check...

Tags
head, houston