Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2007, 12:14   #1

I'm New! Hi Folks!

We are looking at quitting our jobs, and selling the house, cars, cottage and stuff. Then heading out to explore.

We are considering the Gozzard or Cabo Rico, the clipper and cutter configuration appeal to us.

Should be a real adventure!

Later.
GregoryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 12:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Nice boats to consider. We like our 1991 Gozzard. Both boats will carry lots of stuff and it's a point you can't overlook for very long. The traditional cutter is still popular though with modern materials the sloop designs do offer better performance.

How a boat looks is only a small part of the picture but sailing into port in an ugly boat is not very much fun. I can you assure you won't win the ugly boat contest in either of these.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 12:41   #3

Our preference is the Gozzard, and we hope to start nailing down the specifics soon on the 37, or if we can get a 41 at a reasonable price.

The looks of either of these boats (Gozzard/Cabo) are in my option the best looking boats on the water.
Old 19-06-2007, 12:58   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gregory,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. There are a lot of threads here that will help you with any questions and it is always an opportunity for you to give input.
Paul has the right size boat. Unless you have a big familiy sailing with you 36 is really a great size for handling and for cost of maintenance, slips, moorings, etc.. Smaller is ok too.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 13:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would get the largest small boat you can afford. As they get bigger the list of chores get longer and harder to complete. It's a balance that isn't easy to understand until it's too much. You really want a small boat but you need to lug all your stuff. If you think like that you can come out just right.

I know this to be the largest 36 ft boat on the water. BTW, the 6 ft bowsprit in not included in the length, but some marinas will count it. The davits don't come off either and marinas often count those too. So it may be a 46 ft boat depending on who is measuring.

The new 37's are quite nice with lots of great improvements, but unless they are 10 years old the prices get pretty high. There is a 10 year old 44 in Rock Hall, MD. I've seen it in person for $435K. A very pretty boat that is very big.

You also would need to sell your neighbors house too to get the payments down low enough to cruise a new 47. There are no old 47's just yet. I don't know of any used 37's on the market. It's basically a more modern design of the 36 in terms of the hull and rudder. The 41 is like the 37 with an aft stateroom. 36's after 1990 have a king sized aft quarter berth.

The whole Gozzard family is very nice. They actually remember all the boats! I was going back and forth with Mike today about a replacement part on a shifter that was new in 1991. They take care of people as well the boats they build boats.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 15:41   #6

Boat: catarmaran, Leopard 43 Sweet Winds
I'm looking for Leopard owners in the Florida area. We are new proud owners of a 43 footer. We need company to get comfortable with our new toy. I'm searching all forums for some company. This one has been most interesting and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you.

Thanks
windwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 17:21   #7

We don't want any debt when we take off on the boat. Our home will provide all we need for the boat and outfitting acquistion. The cottage will just go into the bank, other than that we just want to live a nice simple life on a safe capable boat. The size between 37 and 40 feet makes sense, but you guys know better than I do.