Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50   #1

I'm from Missouri and looking for knowledge

Here is a quick run down about me. I'm 33 and looking for a new adventure in life, I have been a bartender for 13 years now and want to buy a liveaboard and cruise the bahamas and the keys, bartending while i cruise. I have never been on a sailboat so I have a lot of questions! I'm wanting any tips on what to read for info on boats, terminology, anything that will help. Im basically doing research right now and i have a year and a half before i make the big plunge into the life of a seaman. Ideas on what type of boat for singlehanded sailing for newbies. Please be patient with me. I will do sailing classes in the future to help me with my knowledge on safe sailing. A boat big enough for me and my 150 pound dog where we don't feel cramped we have already downsized from a 2300 sq. ft. house to 1000sq. ft. apartment. next step is a boat. I have about 30k to spend on a sailboat is that enough? I'm very interested to hear what people have to say.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
I'm from Missouri and looking for knowledge

How handy are you? How many tools do you own?

How agile is your dog? You will likely need to create a doggy ramp for getting in and out of the cabin.

Why the time frame? Is that until you leave Missouri, or when you plan to cut your ties to land?

We only have an 800 sq ft apartment and still have a lot of things to get rid of in the next two months.

Old 01-07-2014, 14:02   #3

Re: I'm from Missouri and looking for knowledge

Shameless plug....take a look at my 1978 Islander Freeport I have listed for sale on this forum. She would be perfect for you and your dog. She has a transom that opens into the water that makes dog boarding from water a breeze. She has been cruising the Bahamas and keys for the last 8 years

brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 14:14   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

are you looking for kokomo by any chance? i hear it's down there somewhere in the keys
Old 01-07-2014, 20:25   #5

I'm working hard and saving money so the transition will be easier. That is why it will be a while. I'm handy with tools and my dog is a big oaf. I do like your boat Brantleychuck, I'm sure it won't be around when my time comes to say good by to solid ground. Any good I formative books I should read?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-07-2014, 20:51   #6

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I wonder if you could team up with or be hired by an investor with a party-barge or party-cat in the Caribbean.

The dog will be a problem, but if you could work out the arrangement you could have the run of the boat in off hours, and live in the crew quarters on the boat itself.

This is not exactly a cruising lifestyle, but it puts you in the scene.

At 30k, it's easy. You'll probably be purchasing a mid 80's - early 90's sailboat. There will be thousands to choose from. You will trade age for size. You just give the broker your number, and you start looking at boats. When you find the one that fits, you pay your money.

In the Caribbean, you will be legal to work in any of the US territories. Though there is no limit to the number of bartenders needed in that environment, there is also no limit to the number of people who want to work and live in the Caribbean. You may end up doing work for "tips only", or else competing with other people who are.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 20:55   #7

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
I'm working hard and saving money so the transition will be easier. That is why it will be a while. I'm handy with tools and my dog is a big oaf. I do like your boat Brantleychuck, I'm sure it won't be around when my time comes to say good by to solid ground. Any good I formative books I should read?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It's summer! Open the paper and find a sailing class.

There are two main types
1) ASA or other similar classes, offering a series of certification classes possibly leading to professional status, but starting with a "Basic Sailing" course. These course can be taught in a variety of boat types, combining classroom with practical skills demonstrations.

2) "Fun sailing" classes, often around $100-$200, where you learn basic sailing knowledge and skills in a classroom, then practice sailing around in itty-bitty toy-like sailboats that tip over with the slightest provocation.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 21:08   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard.

I hope your dog can cope, that's a mighty big boy for a small boat. One time, in a foreign country, the quarantine officers brought their Alsatian sniffer dog-in-training aboard. He probably only went about 100-120 lbs. They sort of chucked him down the companionway, and he was too big to be able to turn all the way around. He became quite frightened, and they couldn't get him to work. It was really sad, and not the dog's fault at all.

Be aware that you will have to deal with his poops, too, so you'll need a reasonably good sized holding tank.

I'm not sure where the numbers are coming from (could be only guesswork, I simply don't know) but people are saying to have at least 30% of purchase price of boat above the cost of the boat for the necessary improvements and repairs that will be needed for the previously owned boat that you will buy for your budget.

We see a lot of people come here saying they want to go sailing and cruising. Maybe while you're still working, you could make or buy a sailing dinghy, and start learning how to sail it. You do not know, yet whether you will like sailing, although, if you do, you will probably find the folks who do it to be congenial.

Finally, a caveat, if you take your pickup and go camping with your dog, you cannot drown if you fall off your sleeping bag, but you can, with a boat. Some people do not like being out of sight of land. If you're more than 5 miles offshore in the ocean and off the boat, you are unlikely to swim safely to land....and of course there's the dog to consider.

My point is that you are thinking about entering an environment with which you are unfamiliar, and it will likely show you some unanticipated hazards.

I'd recommend crewing on other people's boats, too, because you learn a lot from being exposed to different boats and skippers.

Good luck with your plans.
Old 01-07-2014, 22:33   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

$30,000 isn't much money for a boat that is ready to go to sea. It's enough money to get a boat that needs a lot of work on it, but it will be a project boat before it becomes a real ocean cruiser. Maybe you can find someone to partner with who doesn't want to single hand. A big dog is a problem as well. Big dogs and small boats don't mix very well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 22:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Your biggest constraint is the 150 lb dog.

You hope to get a boat where he is not cramped? I think you need to visit some boats and see for yourself the challenges that you will face.

I've had a dog that size or bigger. They need a LOT of space and exercise and I have no clue how your going to be able to provide it to him. I'm also aware of the size of scat piles they leave.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bartender.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I can't tell you whether or not you'll like sailing - but a lot of dogs simply do not like it. They are unable to stand firmly when there are waves or the boat is heeling. Many dogs are just plain miserable when on a boat.

This you need to consider - do you want your dog to be miserable 80% of the time? Many dogs never get the hang of peeing or pooping on a boat - and then they are double miserable.

Our scotty never really liked being at sea. She put up with it because all she really wanted was to be with us. But she had problems sliding all over the place if it got rough. We finally got a hammock rigged for her and that helped.

You 150 lbs. dog on a small boat will be a huge challenge.

Before you sell everything and buy a boat - try getting your dog sailing. Ask around at a sailing club if someone is willing to take you and the dog out (don't be surprised if no one volunteers).

On a completely different note - if you go to islands not beloning to the US you will be enterng a foreign country - lots and lots of rules regulations and quarantines and hassles.

There are a number of threads on CF about cruising with dogs. Hit the search button and write cruising with dogs or dogs etc. Start with this one - there are lots more

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-125861.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:07   #13

Boat: Vindo 50 - 36'

I am currently in the same position as you but have about an 11 month head start. Reading through the forums can answer many of your questions. I can tell you this..... Do not jump into anything until you have done plenty of research and make sure you get an in depth understanding of the big picture. Cruising off to the Caribbean is not as simple as hopping in your car and driving to Vegas. There is plenty and I mean PLENTY to learn. From what I have gathered thus far it is a lifetime of learning. Weather, Charting, Tides, Vessel terminology, Engine repair on the fly and this only touches the surface. Best advice so far is follow the experienced words of the prior posters in this thread and try to crew on a vessel. Be honest about your lack of knowledge and your eagerness to learn. There is never a stupid question. Good luck with your adventure!!

SAILING FOR DUMMIES - DOWNLOAD FREE
Peace_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm from Missouri and looking for knowledge

If you love your dog do him a favour.. find him a good home with folk he likes then move onto your boat...
You can always visit..
Sorry.. dogs on boats is a selfish human act of cruelty IMHO..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50   #15

Boatman I have thought of that but I got him from a rescue and I'm already his fourth owner. I don't want to put him through the stress of that again, we have been together almost six years now. Sad truth is dogs don't live to be a hundred. Thank you for the positive feed back everyone, looks like all the time i still have on the main land will full of activities to make good memories on land. I love the idea of going to work on a boat for a couple of months to feel more confident with my sailing abilities or lack there of. I'm also a certified welder is there a lot of welding jobs on the islands maybe even an underwater welder? (back up plan if i bartending cant work out anymore)