Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32   #1

If not now, when?

I am currently smitten with the idea of owning a sailboat and cruising off to discover all that sailing has to offer. Problem one is where do I start? Have been in love with the sea since my Navy days aboard a destroyer in the early sixties and not quite able nor desirous to get it out of my system. Owning a bass bout didn't help. Joined a Florida sailing club a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed not only the sailing aspect but of welcoming nature of the sailing community itself. Armed with my minimal experience sailing I want to pursue the next step of actually owning a sailboat and getting to all those places dreams are made. With a mechanical/electrical maintenance background the DYI concept of ownership actually is appealing. Having said that, and reading many a fine posting on this and other sites, a project boat is not appealing. Scope Creep: Having started out looking at 34 foot Catalina and Hunter sailboats and i have ended up looking at Beneteau 411 as a more optimal liveaboard (at least while traveling). Another thing has become obvious is how much I don't know about sailing and sailboats. I'm hoping you all can help me along though this period of discovery. Thanks in advance.
Wolfrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 13:25   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: If not now, when?

Welcome to the forum. You will certainly get a lot of opinions on the topic...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 13:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: If not now, when?

Welcome. Many opinions will come your way soon. Yep.

There is no "right boat" nor right way to go about cruising. This is one of those things where you have to figure out what you want, how you want your sailing to happen -- and where -- and then find the boat that will fit your budget and allow you to achieve your individual goals.

As soon as you start paying attention to the opinions of others, you may find yourself far from your own sailing goals.

Best thing is to start following some of the sailing blogs out there -- read what people are doing and how they're doing it. At some point you'll see patterns that appeal to you -- or things that don't appeal -- and you'll be on your way to your own cruising life.