Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 23:31   #1

Boat: I have this thing my nephews play with . . . it's made out of legos.
I Can Have a Boat, Too ?

Heyo!

So I don't sail . . . yet. But, it's my next endeavor . . . I'd like to live as sail bum. You guys have a term for that?

I'm actually mostly a rock climbing bum and I have aspired to be a dirtbag,
which is actually a term of endearment/something all climbers should (but not all do) aspire to become. The idea being you spent as much time hanging out and climbing these great geological formations known as "rocks" and "mountains" without actually working.

And I know what you're going to say: "Hey dude, what's a mountain?" And I could see why you might ask this. Understandably there aren't many "mountains" at sea. But I guess I could put it into terms you can understand. A "mountain" is like an island . . . without all the water surrounding it . . . also it's REALLY high. Like, at least, 831 feet (something like that). You can google that if want.

Despite the fact that I've spent a rather large portion of my 20's getting educated, and I have 2 pieces of paper as proof, I believe I would have been the perfect explorer . . . like . . . 300 years ago. But, alas I've missed my Lewis and Clark moment.

But somewhere along the way I decided that I was going to pick up the fine art of sailing/crusing/not working. It seems like the perfect lifestyle for me. Cheap living. Out exploring the world. Sounds good to me. I see a point in my life where I'll be over the hill in my rock climbing career and sick of working a job that I've spend so many years working toward. With no aspiration for marriage, or kids, I like to think of myself as a rather cheap date. I'm totally fine with the $8 bottle of wine. Sometimes even the $7.50 one.

I hope to spend the next few years learning the fine trade of being an ocean bum, hanging out with some of you fine folk who found the life of living boring landlocked lives before shoving off into the great beyond . . . and beyond. Maybe not you guys specifically . . . cause I don't know you. Weirdo internet folk. Okay . . . that's all I got.

thejoe
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 23:36   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hey Joe.! ... I like a man with a plan...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 23:47   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey Joe.

With 2 pieces of educational paper you should be able to check your countires laws and determain the drug you are using is illegal.

Take it out of your mouth, or the needle out of your arm and come back when you return to normal.

Lets hope your 'normal' ....

ahh forget it. You won't remember this tomorrow anyway.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 00:37   #4

Joe,

I suggest you check the costs of buying and running a boat. Unless you are independently wealthy....

Well, let's put it like this - choosing between the $8 bottle of vino and the $7.50 will be the least of your worries.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15   #5

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

But somewhere along the way I decided that I was going to pick up the fine art of sailing/crusing/not working. It seems like the perfect lifestyle for me. Cheap living. Out exploring the world. Sounds good to me.
Sounds good to me too.

Do you do magic?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Cheap living.
You mentioned using Google to check facts, I think you need to get back onto Google and see just how "cheap" sailing is! lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06   #7

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
It would appear since you have "TWO" pieces of paper... it's going to take a looong time to educate all that crap out of you that those liberals put in there and get normal again. When that time comes, you'll know it. For now... I'd stick with rocks and mountains... they don't seemm to move like the ocean does. And you'd be tied off in case something did move. LoL
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Joe, I got into sailing from a background of climbing, canoeing, kayaking and other outdoor sports.

The good news is that I find people who have a background in outdoor travel, tend to take well to cruising. It requires many of the same skills: An ability to live without luxuries, the ability to navigate, being able to deal with whatever mother nature throws at you, the ability to problem solve and the ability to live closely with others for long periods of time.

The thing I think you underestimate is cost: Replacing just one sail on my boat with a used sail, costs more than it cost me to buy an entire lead climbing rack, rope, harness and shoes all new. My dinghy which is insignificant compared to my cruising boat, costs more than a brand new sea kayak and all accessory gear. Years ago, I spent a couple months climbing in the Wind River range of Wyoming. I now spend as much as that summer of climbing cost, just to haul and launch my boat. I should add that my boat is small and cheap compared to most...

What is good about your proposed approach is spending some time to learn about cruising before you commit yourself. Take a good live aboard sailing course, crew for some people and I think the rest will sort itself out.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41   #9

I don't know remember typing this first post. It must be because of this needle in my arm. Perhaps I got alcohol poisoning or I blacked out from drinking the $5 stuff and I magically typed this up? Uggg . . . . I DO perform magic. I learned a trick or two in college. I have this friend that used to be roommates with this magician turned professional poker player. That's only 2 Kevin Bacons for anyone that's counting. I can now make the red card appear when you were TOTALLY expecting a blue one. And moving rocks flying at you when you're tied it - It's NOT fun. Thankfully, I've only almost died this way once. Which is once too many.

nautical62, I like your attitude. I hope no one equates my "bumming" to being poor. I got some time to figure things out. I actually paid for my climbing rack while in school which, if you remember to those wee early days, is not an easy thing for a student to do. New cam? Beer? New cam? GAHHH!! The life of a student.

My launch date wouldn't be for quite some time. I'm giving myself a tentative plan of 10 years. This gives me awhile to work, play in the dirt for a little longer, learn to sail, etc. It's just one of my goals in my life. I also don't plan on "retiring" in 10 years. That's just when I change to a career more ocean-oriented. I'm not underestimating costs. I know sailing is expensive. No worries. Time's still on my side.

I hope no one took my first post too serious. That would be a shame. I'll just have to do my own thing and when I arrive at the point when I need input, I'll let y'all know.

thejoe
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52   #10

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Build it. Learn to sail. Do it all yourself. The cost of building a boat is pretty low. I am currently building a 32' gaff rigged cutter, hard chine laminated ply. It will be a comfortable live aboard [for people like us], pretty fast and easy to handle. No motors no electronics. I intend to finish the boat for about ten thousand dollars in materials, all included. This will be the 20th? 19th? boat I have built. See the book by George Buehler, Backyard Boatbuilding. Everybody will scream that you can't do this stuff for this kind of money and have a seaworthy, beautiful boat. Don't listen. Just do it. Make your own sails. Galvanized fastenings and fittings have worked for centuries and are strong. I am a backpacker, hiker as well as a row/sailor. And you do have time. I am 70 and going strong. Have fun. I also have some of those pieces of paper. 3 of them. They have not gotten in the way much, and have been useful from time to time. 'So LIVE, that when thy summons comes ...'
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43   #11

Hey Joe,

looks like you didn't get the warm reception that is typical of this community. Well, from a fellow rock climber and former dirtbag here's a welcome to you.

The reason these guys are sassing you up is because you labeled yourself as a dirtbag. Most of these fellas work/worked pretty hard to be able to "live the dream", so they get a little defensive when some suggests that its easy to just jump into it.

They are right though... it is expensive. A 'dirtbag cruiser' easily outspends a 'yuppie climber'. I don't consider myself a dirtbag anymore (I make too much for that), but having spent my early 20's as one, I'm damn good at putting money away so that in the future I can be a dirtbag cruiser.

MarkJ,

needles? really? That post went a little overboard. Yeah, if Joe is a typical dirtbag, then a he probably drinks beer and maybe even smokes a little gangia. But climbers are a very fit (mentally and physically) group of people, they're not alleyway crackwhores.
stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16   #12

Having dyslexia, I've had to approach life a little different than most people. I've worked twice as hard as others to obtain the same education as those that are "more intelligent." Ambition and commitment can go a long way. My career choice isn't very conducive of dirtbagging either. Those days are probably behind me, but we can all dream. I'm also damn good at not spending money. I never thought being a cruiser would be "easy." I know what I'm up against. But, if I ever win the lotto (if I ever play) . . . you guys can't have any of it.

thejoe
Old 02-07-2010, 19:43   #13
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Ahoy Joe , from Downunder ... i hear the track your layin down bro.. all sweet with the crew (it must not have been chill oclock when you were read and graded here) . keep the dream coz with only 6 degrees seperating us i wanna beer with you one day.. ..hang loose n enjoy CF
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 16:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvh View Post
Ahoy Joe , from Downunder ... i hear the track your layin down bro.. all sweet with the crew (it must not have been chill oclock when you were read and graded here) . keep the dream coz with only 6 degrees seperating us i wanna beer with you one day.. ..hang loose n enjoy CF
I will drink beer with you. I loved this welcome. Makes me feel special.

thejoe