Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 04:20   #1

Hunter 54 - (I would like to buy one) AU

mark@marksurman.com.au

Thanks
MarkyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 06:50   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Hey Mark, WHY?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 10:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
Welcome aboard! My comment to your first post is: "Ooohkay."
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 18:21   #4

Im a begenner here - I dont know how to read your comment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Mark,
Welcome aboard! My comment to your first post is: "Ooohkay."
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 28-10-2008, 18:26   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyBoy View Post
Im a begenner here - I dont know how to read your comment ?

Mark :...In other words...so whats your question?...
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 18:31   #6

I would like to live aboard in the Brisbane River AU, the size appeals to me as well as the ability to be able to boldly go if I get the wind in my head and some lead in my pencil.

People that have and had these boats in the past seem to say good things . . . . .

I am very new to this and would appreciate good advice.
Thanks.
Old 29-10-2008, 00:16   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I like your enthusiasm. Nothing like starting at the bottom. With enough money time and guts you can do what ever you want.
Old 29-10-2008, 07:51   #8

Marky, We had an aquaintence that sailed a Hunter 54 til the keel fell off and that is not uncommon with those boats. You might want to look at something a bit more seaworthy if you plan to sail off into the sunset. If you just want a dockaminium go for it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 29-10-2008, 08:27   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
The keels don't "fall off" these boats any more so than any other boat, nor do rudders or anything else. If it happens once, somehow that gets exaggerated to imply it happens all the time.
FAR more important than the brand name is the condition of the boat in which you are interested. Any well-maintained boat is preferable to a poorly maintained gold-plated one and coral chews up fiberglass regardless of which manufacturer's label is on the hull.
If you find one in good condition for the right price, go for it but I would encourage you to not fall in love with any particular brand or model until you have done some serious window-shopping.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 08:29   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
This was a purpose built boat patterned after one of Luhr's race boats (Hunter's Child?). Not a good cruising boat, not very well built. Probably good for lakes, should be fast but not very comfortable.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
The keels don't "fall off" these boats any more so than any other boat, nor do rudders or anything else. If it happens once, somehow that gets exaggerated to imply it happens all the time.
FAR more important than the brand name is the condition of the boat in which you are interested. Any well-maintained boat is preferable to a poorly maintained gold-plated one and coral chews up fiberglass regardless of which manufacturer's label is on the hull.
If you find one in good condition for the right price, go for it but I would encourage you to not fall in love with any particular brand or model until you have done some serious window-shopping.
Glad we have a Hunter expert on the board. But in my many years of experience and first hand knowledge of these boats there are several instances of the keels and rudders being lost on the 54 including one we were personally involved in the salvage and repair and Hunters in the past have had issues with loosing their rudders a bit more than other boats. Another first hand account we were involved in was a 54 that lost its keel just outside St. Georges Harbor, Bermuda where my boss had to fly in to supervise getting the boat back to the states. But then what do I know?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 29-10-2008, 09:40   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Glad we have a Hunter expert on the board. But in my many years of experience and first hand knowledge of these boats there are several instances of the keels and rudders being lost on the 54 including one we were personally involved in the salvage and repair and Hunters in the past have had issues with loosing their rudders a bit more than other boats. Another first hand account we were involved in was a 54 that lost its keel just outside St. Georges Harbor, Bermuda where my boss had to fly in to supervise getting the boat back to the states. But then what do I know?
Thanks for the "expert" title but I don't deserve it. My point is that generalities are a poor choice of methods to make a point. Guess I could make the same generalities about Catalinas, Beneteaus, or any other boat wth a bolt-on keel since I know it has happened to lots of boats for lots of reasons over the years. I know a person who just completed a circumnav in his new Hunter and the keel didn't fall off - shall I use that as a basis to state no H keels fall off for any reason?
Making such statements across the brand is misleading at best and poor advice to the newbie sailor based upon little, if any, first hand knowledge.
Hunter bolts their keels on the same way, with the same materials as do their competitors. Clearly, any company who's keels all fall off wouldn't be profitable in today's economy if that were really true.
My intent isn't to debate the point or change your mind - only to provide objective info to a legitimate question.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:44   #13

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
Hey Chuck was that one hunter 54 maroon/red in color and sailed on the Chesapeake?
procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 10:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythepirate1 View Post
Hey Chuck was that one hunter 54 maroon/red in color and sailed on the Chesapeake?

Both boats sailed on the Chesapeake. The Bermuda incident was blue and white and since it has been quite a few years ago I can't remember if the other was maroon or not, but possible. The wife raced on both boats in the Bay.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 29-10-2008, 11:58   #15

Boat: Hirsch Gulfstar 45 Magic Genie
yikes !

I just got my boat out of the yard and the one next to me was one of those 54's. He was out because the keel was coming away from the hull at the aft edge. There was about a 1" gap at the rear and looked scary. The owner said they were going to remove the keel and rebuild the support system, something about aluminium stringers and plywood.
funsailthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter