Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 02:38   #1

Huh, guess I should introduce myself!

Hi folks,

I've been posting here for a little already and never even really bothered to introduce myself because, well, I didn't actually have a boat yet. But I do now!

Papers were signed yesterday, my bank account is suddenly looking real bloody thin, and my SO (also referred to as SWMBO, The Angry One, and High Poobah of Boat Kitchening) are now the owners of a 1980 Westerly 33. Not the Discus, mind you, still the older model where aft cabin access is through the cockpit only. She's got a fin keel and a sloop rig (just to be different since the majority of W33's I've seen are ketch rigged), and is in an absolutely fabulous state.

Previous owners took real good care of her, although they did do a few things I'm not entirely happy with, such as a shore power hookup without residual current device, battery charger that doubles as an inverter but can't provide inverted voltage from just the batteries, and so on.

The good is that it came with solar installed, a full set of sails, all the spare parts and loose doohickeys you could possibly want, and a complete set of tools. This pleases me, because at least I know the tools on the boat will uh... you know, fit the boat.

It's on the hard right now, and will stay there until March next year because, well, now that we own a boat it's time to break out that proverbial thousand and do some work. Like sorting out the shore power. And installing 2 electric bilge pumps. And maybe some serious head work since it has no holding tank and no apparent space to put one. And some engine work. And some other shenanigans that involve bolting a 4G/LTE extender somewhere.

Oh, yeah, and re-doing the DC electrical panel. Currently there's a few switches that have everything and the kitchen sink on it, and I want more. Switches, that is. And fuses. And maybe a proper AC panel. And of course the installation of a Raspberry Pi with OpenPlotter, and some other fun things.

Inbetween all that I'll finish up some sailing courses so I'll have paper (well, plastic card ) proof that I supposedly know what I'm doing, and do the exam to get my VHF certificate so I'm legally allowed to use the dang thing (even though I already know, but I guess you need the documentation to prove it).

All in all, enough projects to keep me entertained until it's splashing time.

Our plans are relatively simple, we'll be moving on board permanently. Currently we're in France, so we'll be cruising around the Med for a while, probably a year, maybe some more. Mainly to get familiar with the boat (I have sailing experience, SWMBO has none) and to ensure we have the time to get it prepared for an Atlantic crossing. We'll probably join the ARC in 2021 because why the heck not. From there it's Caribbean/Bahamas time, and eventually Panama canal and off to SE Asia. From there, we have no idea what'll come next but we figure this short plan will entertain us for a few years, so we'll figure it out after. At some point.

Since I've gotten this question already from my immediate surroundings; as to how we afford all this? Answer: a real awesome employer. I work in IT and already work remotely 4 days a week, with 1 day in the office for those times where people actually want to talk to me face to face (ewgh). This has gotten turned into a "work remotely 5 days a week, and show up at the office for 2 weeks every few months". Company picks up the plane fare, and parks me in an apartment they own for the time I'm there.

All in all, the sweetest of sweet deals. Live on boat: check. Get paid : check. The only drawback is that I need to be able to get online and stay online 5 days a week at the very least, but that's where the 4G/LTE extender comes in. I figure if I can anchor near some civilisation I can probably pick up a decent enough signal to work with. Worst case scenario, we'll park up in a marina somewhere for a few days.

So there you have it, rambling introduction all done!
benvanstaveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:28   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Huh, guess I should introduce myself!

Sounds Awesome!
A belated welcome to you both; enjoy!