Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 10:59   #1

How to meet sailors in Bay Area California?

So I知 currently living in the North Bay Area of California. I am an arborist by trade( I work hard and know ropes). I知 want to learn to sail, yet the prices in this area are very steep, I知 hoping there is some kind of network of people who want crew for daysails and can help teach. I知 not asking for free, I know everything costs, especially knowledge. But the classes are 700$ minimum and seem to be catered towards the rich. The yacht clubs seems to be mostly private and take applications to join. Please help me if there is a way.
Joshwandrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:36   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: How to meet sailors in Bay Area California?

I’m not familiar with the Bay Area so I can’t give you specific information but this is what I would do….
Find a yacht club in your area that sponsors weekly races. For example in the Long Beach yacht club hosts Wednesday night races through the Summer and Seal Beach Yacht club hosts Thursday night races in the same area. 100’s of boats sail these races. I suspect there is something very similar in the Bay Area. Many boats will take on crew with little to no experience. Call the sponsoring YC and see if they can help. If all else fails walk the docks and ask around.
Be up front with your skill level and availability. Be positive, energetic, and show up on time. You will have lots of opportunity to sail and learn by doing.
Good luck
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 13:53   #3

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

THE Bay Area resource for sailing is the magazine Latitude 38 (https://latitude38.com/). The monthly magazine is free at most boating-oriented locations, and is also available online. They have numerous resources about how to crew, etc.
They also sponsor a twice-yearly "Crew Party" to get boats and crews together. This year's spring one was cancelled due to COVID-19. Entry is pretty cheap, $7/person the last I knew.
Currently boating with people from multiple households is discouraged, so crewing is a bit tough right now. However starting to look now for crewing oportunites when things open up would be good.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 18:27   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome to the area! Depending on where you're at in the North Bay, take a look at the closest yacht club's racing schedule and their cruise out calendar. Right now, the CG is not allowing any racing at all, but that might be opening back up in the next few weeks or so. Then, head over to their docks an hour (at least) before the first gun and find out who's looking for crew. Everything is still pandemical so it's hard to say who is going to want to take pick up crew or if crew will even be allowed. We're hearing that unless you're sleeping in the same house as your crew, then that's not socially distancing and they're not allowed onboard. You could do this on a trial basis without joining. The alternative is to join the Half Moon Bay Yacht Club for something like $800/year and get to use their fleet of Cal20s, Lasers, FJs, Optis, etc., any time you like. Other than the drive, that's probably the best deal with the some of the nicest people on the planet.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 19:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

When I lived in the Bay Area, the Cal Sailing Club (UC Berkely) was a very cost effective way into sailing. i suspect it still is.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 19:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
When I lived in the Bay Area, the Cal Sailing Club (UC Berkely) was a very cost effective way into sailing. i suspect it still is.
Thank you for your help , I’m joining a CO-OP called WebSail it’s small cost and for 40$ you get invitations and unlimited scheduling, for 20$ 2 per month. But Cal Sailing club is still top of the list.
Joshwandrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay area, cal, california, crew, learn to sail, Meeting, sail