Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06   #1

How Do You Flush these Toilets ?

My sailing experience has been completely backwards. I am hoping the kind people on this forum will set me straight.
Until last September I had only spent a handful of hours on a sailing vessel. Last year, the company I worked for went bankrupt and I found myself unemployed. I friend of mine asked if I would help him deliver a 46' Formosa from New Zealand to the Philippines for a colleague of his. There would be three of us, myself, my friend, and someone from Fiji that was familiar with this boat.
The boat had been sitting for a year and needed a bit of work before we set off. After a few test runs we were underway, but the boat was sneaky. It only presented to us one problem at a time. By the time we reached the first island, my friend had run out of time and needed to fly back to get to work. He left me (gulp) in charge. I was decent at navigation. I am a pilot. My newfound Fijian friend was good with an engine. We somehow muddled our way to the Philippines after many mishaps...including an SSB that stopped working, the ELT antennae rusting off, and the cable from the wheel to the tiller breaking....oh, and no working autopilot. We hand steered the whole way.
Foolhardy though it was, I loved the whole experience. I want to sail again, but this time know what to do before I get into trouble. No more running down below to page through a "Sailing for Dummies" book every time there is a problem.
I am currently landlocked, but will be moving to DC this summer and hope to be buying a boat to liveaboard with my boyfriend on the Chesapeake.
We've got a fairly tight budget, so I am still trying to find just the right boat for us. Maybe an Allied or Bristol somewhere between 30' to 40'? Any and all suggestions, comments, criticisms are welcome.
Malrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 21:05   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Great introduction to sailing. I've crewed on Allieds and like them but have not sailed the Bristols. There are a few Bristol owners here on the forum that can reply.
Kind regards,
Old 15-05-2010, 21:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Welcome aboard, but keep that "Sailing for Dummies" book handy. You are going to need it and many more books...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 16:41   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Well, that is one way to get into sailing. Funny, my first delivery was a Formosa and she did the same thing, one critical malfunction at a time, but a strong boat none the less.
Bristol’s are great I restored and sailed a 29.9. They are a bit small down below for the size but very strong safe boats. Allied are great too, I lived aboard one for a few months and sailed her around the bay (mom's boat).
Also check out the Tartans, Colombias, Rangers, Cals. As you can tell I love that era of boats .
For the life of me I cannot understand why this one has not sold, she seem a sweet vessel...Ericson independence 31 the owner just reduced her price (again). It may be the economy or there maybe something wrong with her.(?)
Anyways, I hope you are on the water soon.
Erika