Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 19:56   #1

Hola everyone

hi guys/gals,
i am Sparky a new member, have to say this is the greatest site i have came across, have been reading alot here and must say you guys are a great group with a ton of information"

a little about this ole water dog, just an ole beachbum early 50`s that has enjoyed and loves the water and beach life, got my start with an ole sea snark styrofoam sailer (anyone remember those? lol) have mostly owned power type crafts and pwcs, but have always deeply loved Catamarans, my Son (great kid) and i some day would love to own a nice sailing catamaran fro those getaway winters in the caribbean even though it would be short (son is still in school)

do not know if i or we could ever afford a great new Cat lol there is always the lottery, but have been looking for a salvaged cat and hoping for that great deal lol hard work does not scare me even though my son tells me to slow down, i have a bit of fiberglass knolwedge, i use to mfg fiberglass products such as dune/buggy bodies, race car seats, car & truck accessories ect , not quite the same process but at least a understanding (i hope lol)

i have thought of the build it yoursef projects and there is some very great articles from builders, and have located a cat hull mold (just the lower hull and a top) no center deck section about a 35 footer, i was hoping if i was going to committ to such a project with that amount of work for this ole dog. might as well do a 40 + footer, but it may be very worth the while to locate a salveage cat, scares me a bit as i have read a few horror stories.

it is a long dream but that is what i hope for lol maybe someday, (have to have a dream for a father and son) so i will keep reading the great posts from other fellow members and keep learning,

Sparky
Old 02-04-2007, 20:21   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard Sparky

You must have been an electrician ???

Thinking about building a cat? That's a lot of work for a 50+ person. It takes around 8K to 10K hours plus around US$80K for materials in fiberglass. I'd consider it too if I were 20 years younger.

If your considering a fixer-up'r, FL and the Gulf Coast would be the place to look. There are some auction sites that deal in such goodies.

http://www.usauctions.com/
http://www.yachtauctions.com/default.asp
http://www.amssale.com/
http://www.salvagedirect.com/

Here's a few. But you may have to check daily on updates. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy this site.............................................. _/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 20:45   #3

thanks delmarrey", a build project would be big, but not that large in my eyes lol i think that is the problem i cannot addmitt sometimes it may be too big for an older guy, as i have always worked that hard , i think i look at it as i know i can do that, but i do agree and i am saying this to be on the safe side of health even though i hate to give up on a good project lol it may be "wiser to consider a salveged unit, yup i am getting a little old lol, but i think i could handle it,but not worth pushing myself over "danng"

thank you very much for the site links i (we have been checking a couple of them already but a few you have added are great!!

yes indeed thank you for the warm welcome sir, i will indeed read on and enjoy the great site"

Sparky
Old 03-04-2007, 03:17   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Sparky,
Hoping you keep the dream and make it come true asap.
Fair Winds
JOHN
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52   #5

Welcome abroad Cruisersforum, Sparky.

I too, am looking into projects on boats. I have acquired a 47 foot monohull, hull. For "free".

Just need to put a lot of work into it. And that is where I am still considering on where I am going to have to deal with it at?

So I wish you the best of luck. And welcome aboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote