Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 19:26   #1

Boat: Hunter 39-41 (tent) S/V Mayhem
Hi to All from a Newbie !

What a great board! Been trolling around for months and have been amazed at the amount of info available and the advice given by all!

I'm a retired Army Armor guy that's just fed up with 365 dirt living. My better half and I are on a 5yr plan to be living a 6/6 life between SC and the Caribbean. Begining to research 39'-42' cruisers for close in use down the "Beaten Path" (and maybe....maybe a little off shore after a few passages).....One thing's for sure, we're in no rush!

Bootlegger267
Old 17-08-2010, 21:45   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
That's a good size of yacht to use for a cruise to the Caribbean and back. I remember when I lived in the Caribbean years ago, that a 37 footer was the perfect size sailboat for a cruising couple. It seems like ideas have expanded over the years.

When people try to replicate their shoreside life with all the amenities, the yachts get large and very expensive.

I still favor smaller yachts, and our catamaran is on the small side at 39 feet. According to many experts, you need at least 40 feet in a catamaran to sail safely offshore.

Smaller works fine for me.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 02:06   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Bootlegger267
It is amazing the breadth and depth of info available....
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:28   #4

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootlegger267 View Post
What a great board! Been trolling around for months and have been amazed at the amount of info available and the advice given by all!

I'm a retired Army Armor guy that's just fed up with 365 dirt living. My better half and I are on a 5yr plan to be living a 6/6 life between SC and the Caribbean. Begining to research 39'-42' cruisers for close in use down the "Beaten Path" (and maybe....maybe a little off shore after a few passages).....One thing's for sure, we're in no rush!

Bootlegger267

Welcome! We too are Army. My husband is a retired SF guy and I was in twice, the last time in JAG. We are dividing our time between Germany and St Thomas. Where in the Caribbean are you? My husband is now with JFCOM and found out that he can't retire as soon as he thought so our 5 year plan has expanded to a 7 year plan.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:39   #5

Was stationed in Friedberg and Aschaffenburg and between the 2 added up to 14 of my 20 yrs. Currently in NJ after retiring out of the old Ft Devens (7th SFG) where I was an ARNG Advisor. And to Max, the size of the boat shall be decided upon by the wife....lol. Its all about her comfort level! But the size will also stay within our ability to handle, both physically and $$$$ wise.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:25   #6

So, what year did you decide to hang it up?

Tom
Old 18-08-2010, 17:41   #7

96...Ran a family business for 12 yrs then went out on my own. Plenty of opportunity to stay Armor as a civie, but had to get out of the environment. Life is good, but will be better when I get "wet". Not for nothing...its a "bioche" out there, 6/6 will be a nice change... Still 5 yrs out, living simple, but its a done deal.

bootlegger267
Old 19-08-2010, 08:35   #8

Bootlegger,
There are three things that every soldier remembers; 1. The first time they got drunk. 2. The first time they had sex. 3. The units they were assigned to and were they were at.
Hate to be the one to tell you this...... But the 7th SFG was never assigned to Ft Devens, and to add to that, in the 10 years that I WAS WITH THE 7th in Panama and Ft Bragg I had never heard of a ARNG Advisor assigned to us.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:30   #9

Tom,

I worded that post very poorly ....I was refering to the major command that was at based out of Devens. I was an Armor advisor to the ARNG.... I was never SF nor was I ever assigned to a SFG. 20 yrs Armor. M60/M1/M1A1 Master Gunner. The SF Group that used to be stationed there was transfered to Ft Carson before they closed Devens. The Group CSM was my neighbor. And correct me if I'm wrong again...5th SFG???

And you are right...those are the 3 things a soldier will always remeber.
Old 28-08-2010, 13:15   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I recommend no larger than 36 but most folks don't listen to me anyway : )
Retired Navy here and spent 4 years at Panzer Kaserne (Patch Barracks) USEUCOM in the early 70s. I even got to know a few Army dudes.
Thanks for your service.
regards,
Old 04-09-2010, 07:23   #11

After much reading, talking to folks in the local marina's, and research, looks like we will be in a 36-38' monohull. My better half and I will be signing up for classes within the next 6 months. Let the adventure begin! SkiprJohn, thanks for your service also!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47   #12

Whitbys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootlegger267 View Post
After much reading, talking to folks in the local marina's, and research, looks like we will be in a 36-38' monohull. My better half and I will be signing up for classes within the next 6 months. Let the adventure begin! SkiprJohn, thanks for your service also!
Take a look at the Whitbys, they are a 42-foot ketch, old and slow but easy for for a couple to ahndle, sail beautifully under jib and jigger, carry lots of fuel. A lot of them have been well-maintained.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47   #13

You should go to the boat show">Annapolis boat show in October. You can compare a lot of boats at one time.

Maje
Old 07-09-2010, 19:18   #14

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Retired SFC here . You probally heard me on AFN in Germany if you were there. Anyways two months ago I was in the same boat. Now I have purchased a 1978 Irwin 37 and refitting it. Jump in and live the dream..I'm selling everything and getting out of here before I end up in the VA hospital. hahaha
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:30   #15

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
I am a newbi too

Think ahead... know what you want to change..... check your wallet.....then jump in it brother. Taking an older boat from yester-year and bringing it into todays time is so much fun. My wife and I are doing our first as we speak. It is going to take us some money and some time, but when she is done....she will be exactly what we want her to be.
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote