Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 14:36   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Hi there!

Hello,

I joined this forum hoping to learn more about cruising and as a resource to lean on through the course of refitting my Cape Dory 27 in preparation for full time sailing in the not too distant future.

cheers,

mattb
mathiasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 16:05   #2

Re: Hi there!

Cheers Mattb, welcome aboard! I cruise on the forum a couple times a day. Lots of good info.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Where are you located?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 17:16   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Matt. That CD is a nice little boat! Mine (old Columbia) is fairly similar in dimensions. Good luck and don't forget to post some photos for us to see how she is coming along.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Cheers Mattb, welcome aboard! I cruise on the forum a couple times a day. Lots of good info.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Where are you located?
Washington, DC
Old 26-01-2017, 10:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard Matt. That CD is a nice little boat! Mine (old Columbia) is fairly similar in dimensions. Good luck and don't forget to post some photos for us to see how she is coming along.
My first boat was a Columbia 22. it's been interesting getting used to the full keel dynamics while backing up and maneuvering around the marina. The 22 I could push around with a canoe paddle(almost) can't do that with the CD!
Old 26-01-2017, 11:52   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome, Matt! Looking forward to hearing more about your refit. The Potomac was the first place I learned to sail.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 21:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiasben View Post
My first boat was a Columbia 22. it's been interesting getting used to the full keel dynamics while backing up and maneuvering around the marina. The 22 I could push around with a canoe paddle(almost) can't do that with the CD!
No but you might check out my oar option, your boat has a low enough freeboard I believe to make them a viable option. Getting in and out of a slip is a breeze with them.Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Don C L's Album: Oars?
try to overlook some of my cosmetic issues on my old boat
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-01-2017, 10:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
No but you might check out my oar option, your boat has a low enough freeboard I believe to make them a viable option. Getting in and out of a slip is a breeze with them.Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Don C L's Album: Oars?
try to overlook some of my cosmetic issues on my old boat
Wow! That's something I hadn't considered, my boat doesn't have the high gunwhales you've used to attach the oar locks. I'm not sure I'd be able to push my 7,500 pds of displacement along much anyhow. I've always wanted to try out one of those sculling oars.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Welcome, Matt! Looking forward to hearing more about your refit. The Potomac was the first place I learned to sail.
My first boat was kept at the mouth of the Patuxent river and I learned to sail there and in the bay, which is much different than the Potomac as I've run aground a bunch up here. the drive back and forth just wasn't worth it, much better to have the boat near by.
Old 30-01-2017, 20:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiasben View Post
Wow! That's something I hadn't considered, my boat doesn't have the high gunwhales you've used to attach the oar locks. I'm not sure I'd be able to push my 7,500 pds of displacement along much anyhow. I've always wanted to try out one of those sculling oars.
Well my oar locks are on the coamings, but if I had no coamings that would actually be better I think. Sculling oars have a good rep, the one advantage for oars is you have a reverse gear. I can't get my 8000# moving very fast that's for sure! It really makes you appreciate how much horsepower your sails generate! But on a calm day, in and out of a calm harbor or anchorage, they work... just don't ask to go waterskiing.