Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2022, 14:08   #1

Hi looking for advice

Hi guys
My partners dad recentley passed away and left me To Deal with a 40 odd ft dutch steel Cruiser.
This is a big project boat it was put on the boatyard running and working 15 years ago but has deteriorated due to the steel rusting by the wheel house,he disassembled the boat over time but at 86 things just got out of his control.
This would Make a decent project for liveaboard or pleasure boat but needs someone that knows what they're doing.the boat comes with a shed load of history and whole heap of receipts and manuals for the mermaid engine, parts new and old etc
My question is what do you think it's worth to sell as is and would Anyone be Interested or could suggest the best place to Advertise.or is it just scrap
Boat is in plymouth UK
I will attempt to upload some pics
Thanks for your help
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221008_124912.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	265505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221008_122350.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	265506  

Name:	IMG_20221008_120444.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	265507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221008_122016.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	265508  

Name:	IMG_20221008_132021.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	265509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221008_122932.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	265510  

Mathalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 14:12   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Hi looking for advice

Thst looks very rough. Not sure it is worth it if you give it away
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 14:22   #3

It does look bad but the guys at the boatyard have said it's a decent project boat due to the size and quality of dutch steel boats and someone with the right skill set could sort it out. As I said it's a big project but worst case I'll weigh it in.
I gain nothing from selling the boat all proceeds go to my mother in law so I don't care either way.
The yard it's in have a lot of people living on their boats and some are in similar states so I was hopeful someone may want a project before I go down other avenues.
It's sad he let it go so far but I wasn't even allowed to see it otherwise I would of had the leak fixed.
Mathalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 15:17   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Mathalf you need to find an idiot in a village close to Plymouth willing to pay $1. Trucking her out will cost several thousands so having someone remotely take over ownership is even less likely.
I expect the Estate will end up spending considerable coin scrapping the old girl.
And until that realisation moment what's the monthly yard rental for storage?
It's sad but her time has passed.
Old 08-10-2022, 16:24   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The scrap will will give you a down payment on a great boat! I bet the exhaust system in bronze. Sell the wheel on eBay for decor.
I saw a trailer park boys episode where the boys got two cases of beer for the copper pipe from just one trailer.
So it’s a beautiful parts list. Elegant curves and yes retro is strong in power. Building a boat by parts costs way more than you could imagine and the schooling you need on so many topics is astounding.
New boats have troubles just shorter parts list.
Just about every marina yacht club has free boats. Owners paying more to store them than they are worth but they are usually fibreglass. Steel is salvage by the ton.
Rotten dinghies discarded collecting mosquito nests by dufus over at the club showing off his new dinghy. Junk a plenty some clubs worse than others.
Check out working boat yards just for fun. Find out how many years a project near completion took. Ask them how much boating they got in during those years.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 16:28   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Or Move it to a lovely waterfront property and make it a mini home on land. Sorry thinking out loud
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 16:34   #7

you should be wildly happily if you can give it away.
My own Father has a boat deteriorating in a boat yard, in a slip no less. He cant bear to part with it "as its worth something ". costs about 10K a year in fees. boat?/?/ maybe worth 5K.
give it away, the estate will thank you
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 17:11   #8

Get some more advice from the guys in the boat yard, they are in the best position to recommend a price.
Advertise it locally, maybe give it a clean up so potential buyers are not so put off. And yes, factor in the yard fees you are paying when setting a price.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 17:15   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

There is a reason the worlds largest cruise lines scrap their steel vessels and do not keep them forever. See if you can find someone to torch it apart and truck the scrap to a recycling yard in exchange for the scrap value. There are thousands of fiberglass project boats available to others,,,,,,get out now before the yard storage bills eat your lunch.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 19:10   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice