Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 19:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 356
Hi from Sydney

Hi there,

I've been scouting the forum for a few months and it's helped heaps.

2 months ago we purchased a Hunter 356 and are now learning to sail on her. Even though we've spent every holiday for the last 10 years on boats (primarily for diving), we have never learnt to sail. We're having a complete love affair with our floating caravan We've found an amazing instructor that has made it so much fun. There are no intentions to use her as a liveaboard, though we have been lucky enough to stay on board every weekend so far and sometimes during the week, which has been great to get our 17 month old toddler used to it (he's great for pointing out danger and certainly adds new dynamics to the challenge!).

Looking forward to exploring more of the East Coast of Australia and all the beautiful coastline has to offer (our tiny sailor particular likes a watering hole that dishes out popcorn and coca cola which equates to a top mini break in his tiny eyes!!!)

Kind regards,

tinysailor!
tinysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hi from Sydney

Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum TinySailor!

Sounds like you are off to a very good start. Having your own boat, and getting the guidance of an experienced sailor is a good way to go.

I think it is cool you have a kid on the boat too. I started sailing (in my mother's arms) when I was about one year old and my very earliest memory as a child was when I was on a boat (35 foot ketch) as we sailed along.

One thing I would do (as soon as possible if you have not already) is add some lifeline netting all around the boat.

Another tip: Look at the top menu bar on this page and find the "Community" drop down menu. Then find the "Groups" tab. Then search for the social group for cruising with children. There are also groups for regional or areas. And there is also a WIKI (also found on the top menu bar) that has much information and it is free. It includes some regional cruising guides too.

Cruising with Kids Group (58 members)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...with+kids.html

Cruising Australia Waters Group (88 members)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia+waters.html

Have fun sailing and enjoy the forum!
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 21:10   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysailor View Post
Hi there,

I've been scouting the forum for a few months and it's helped heaps.

2 months ago we purchased a Hunter 356 and are now learning to sail on her. Even though we've spent every holiday for the last 10 years on boats (primarily for diving), we have never learnt to sail. We're having a complete love affair with our floating caravan We've found an amazing instructor that has made it so much fun. There are no intentions to use her as a liveaboard, though we have been lucky enough to stay on board every weekend so far and sometimes during the week, which has been great to get our 17 month old toddler used to it (he's great for pointing out danger and certainly adds new dynamics to the challenge!).

Looking forward to exploring more of the East Coast of Australia and all the beautiful coastline has to offer (our tiny sailor particular likes a watering hole that dishes out popcorn and coca cola which equates to a top mini break in his tiny eyes!!!)

Kind regards,

tinysailor!
Hi I would like to add my welcome, I too started sailing in a similiar way, own boat with guidance.
Whereabouts in Sydney are you ?
Cheers Bob.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 23:46   #4

Many thanks SteadyHand for the tips and encouragement. We're currently sourcing netting, though tbh I think a small cage would be better as he loves running round the deck (life jacket, tether / reigns and a dogs lead are brilliant both on board and for walking down jetties). And that's a really beautiful first memory.

Hi Rob, we have a swing mooring near Kogarah (Botany Bay). When we had our boat delivered, the mooring was directly underneath the rainbow's end (or beginning of the rainbow depending on which way you look at it), I took this as a good omen

Kind regards,

tinysailor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	104560  
Old 02-07-2015, 23:56   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Welcome to CF and to the life. Enjoy these times with your youngun... some of my best memories of my children were from our early sailing days in a daysailor on San Francisco Bay. Little did I know how endangering it might have been, but we all survived and can look back on adventures that few children experience.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-07-2015, 02:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tiny.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 17:47   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysailor View Post
Many thanks SteadyHand for the tips and encouragement. We're currently sourcing netting, though tbh I think a small cage would be better as he loves running round the deck (life jacket, tether / reigns and a dogs lead are brilliant both on board and for walking down jetties). And that's a really beautiful first memory.

Hi Rob, we have a swing mooring near Kogarah (Botany Bay). When we had our boat delivered, the mooring was directly underneath the rainbow's end (or beginning of the rainbow depending on which way you look at it), I took this as a good omen

Kind regards,

tinysailor
Hey I do believe that I said hello the other day when I was going out to my boat to see if the thieving lowlife's that broke in and took what they wanted had returned.
Bob.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 01:09   #8

Yes indeed Bob! We managed to get out on Saturday, however the gale force weather warnings put pay to sailing on Sunday. It was great to get Andiamo into Botany Bay (there's a big mast on her so we have to play the tides right to get her under Captain Cook Bridge).

We had a lock sheer off on the back locker on Saturday, however on closer inspection we didn't think this was due to tampering.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
sydney