Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2006, 08:01   #1

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Hi, from Slidell, LA, USA

Just found this wonderful site. We are also members of the "Living Aboard Site". We are happy to be here and look forward to learning, sharing and helping others too.

Have been sailing and boating since early 60's, in everything from sunfish to our present cutter "ROSA", which is a cold molded William Atkins design, built in 1977. We acquired "ROSA" from her original owner in 2005.

We have just retired and are planning to spend some serious time out on the waters around the Gulf Coast in the very near future and some more extensive adventures as soon as possible.

"ROSA" survived "KATRINA" in Slidell and was one of only three left floating out of the forty on our pier. Marinas are not kind to boats during serious storms. We are headed to Mobile, AL. tomorrow for cosmetic repairs, which will be quite extensive. We expect to be in the yard for two months with any luck.

Myrna and Earl
S/V "ROSA"
Slidell, LA, USA
orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 12:24   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Welcome aboard. Good to hear your boat made it through Katrina alright. This is a great site!! Best I've ever seen. Great information and fun folks.
Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Myrna and Earl - Welcome to the forum! Back in another lifetime, I use to travel through the N.O. area on the way to a jump off point further South. A few times I took a side trip through Slidell over to Biloxi. It amazes me that the news reports of N.O. don't cover the devastation in the surrounding areas. The area South of N.O. just about doesn't exist anymore - Buras, Sulfur, Venice - were all way underwater. No a whole lot of people there I guess - so not as big a story as N.O.

I haven't heard much about Grand Isle or Fourchon area - I suspect that they did okay? Obviously Slidell got hit, but I believe that it wasn't as bad as the direct N.O. and South areas ??? Glad a few boats survived - saw a report on TV with one of the anchormen at the YC on Ponch - all those boats haphazardly strewn about very very sad.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:46   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

I'd consider it a good oman to have a vessel that made it through such a devistating event.

There's another newbie here that also made it through in LA, but can't remember the name.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the site, as we all do ..........._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 17:44   #5

Welcome aboard cruisersforum, Myrna and Earl!!

How long were you gone sailing this time around?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:47   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Thomas - we pulled in to Pt Fourchon in late February. They told us they had light damage. The place is now BOOMING since their neighbors to the east & west got slammed by Katrina or Rita. Now all of the oil rig traffic has moved to Fourchon and it's a 7x24 operation now. Big port expansion underway etc..

Mighty friendly folks who went above & beyond in helping us resolve a contaminated fuel problem. Not a real pretty / quiet port now, but the folks sure were accommodating!!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:17   #7

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. We are now in Dog River at Turner Marine for repairs. To be hauled out this Monday and will be on the hard for approx. two months with luck.

There is a public wireless access internet connection here which is hit and miss but the only show in town. Hope to be able to keep in touch!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Myrna & Earl - Glad to hear your plans are going well. Two months on the hard .. wow ... Are you all living aboard? Are you doing the work yourself? Insurance covering it? Keep us informed and good luck!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Mark - thank you very much for the update of Fourchon. All the oil patch jump-off places are not known for their aesthetics.

One of my favorite stories for Venice, LA, (way South of N.O. near the mouth of the Mississippi - boat and heliport for the Eastern LA Gulf) was when I had to stay at the very nice 1 star hotel there. Bad weather had shut the heliport down and so, after dinner at the local "restaurant", I wandered over to the local bar. I was surprised when they frisked me for guns or knives - even more surprised

wait for it

really

when they didn't find any, they issued some to me.

Old 05-07-2006, 19:19   #10

Yes, we are living aboard, at least most of the time. Myrna goes home quite a lot as we have amimals and a yard to care for.

Our work is about half complete and coming along fine. Looking forward to completion, hopefully before hurricane season returns at full force in August. Trying to locate a hurricane hole up the Tenn Tom as the yard where we are has a mandatory evacuation in anything over a cat. 1, ready or not. We are concentrating on the bottom so we will be ready if necessary.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25   #11

Wow living onboard that must be nice! Good luck with the repairs!
Old 15-08-2006, 21:19   #12

We are down to painting the bottom now. The hull has been repaired and the paint applied to the topsides. The boot top is painted and we are ready for the bottom. Probably going with PETIT TRINIDAD RED. Any opinions here on a better bottom paint?
Old 15-08-2006, 22:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

I used the Trinidad SR (red)- three years ago - still getting Excellent coverage and Excellent to Very Good effectiveness (as rated by the diver).

Two coats everywhere, and a third around the waterline area and leading edges.