Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 02:52   #1

Boat: Hartley South Seas 42'--Karma
Hi from Scotland

Hi everyone, my partner and I are looking for the perfect boat to fix up and sail to the Med in summer 2011. I used have a boat in San Diego (Victory 21) which I sailed regularly, but I don't have any qualifications. Anyone out there had any experiences getting the International Certificate of Competence--what is the cheapest way to get one? Is it really necessary? How often are you asked for paperwork? Any advice on this stuff would be a great help.

Also, if anyone knows of a project yacht for sale(30-50 feet) or a good place to find them, that would be great. I have exhausted most of the sites on the web, but I am sure I must have missed at least one...

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Mike
Mike.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 08:19   #2

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Welcome to CF. Sorry, can't help you with some of your questions, but I've found local mags (48 North, Latitude 38, in my area, west coast US) to be good sources for boats and gear.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:27   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Hey Mike,
Glad to meet you. I am certain that someone will be able to help.
Spencer
Old 22-03-2010, 14:11   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Mike,
Welcome. I was Glasgow born, English raised, Australian nationalised and now resident in the EU.
The ICC is a simple test that can be completed inside a day - part practical manouvering in confined space, and part theory involving questions on chartwork / tidal movement / signals etc.
Check our the RYA to find where you can get this done somwwhere local to you.
Yes an ICC or equivilent is worthwhile if you choose to cruise overseas and definately required if you want to enter inland French waterways.
Not legally required when sailing the shoreline or offshore but take my word that one day you'll run into an official who will insist you produce such a documant - so easier all round to get it before you start out.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 22-03-2010, 15:20   #5

Boat: Mac 26x
Hi MIke

Where abouts are you in Scotland?.If you look on the web and track down your nearest RYA training center,there will be a course available called Day Skipper,i paid around 500 pounds for my one week training and at the end of it i was awarded the Day skipper practical cert,this also enables you to apply and recieve the ICC cert,i would also recomend doing the RYA VHF radio course,this is a one day course and is a legal requirement if you are going to have a VHF radio on board.I also did the RYA day skipper theory,this can be done at home on a web based learning package costing around 250.00,i would strongly recomend doing the theory as the information is vital if you are going to sail.

The best places that i know of for looking for project boats are on the main UK based websites,type in Boats for sale and then go into the websites and type in project boats,also if you sniff around the local small boat yards there are sometimes one or two there,ask the guys if they know of any for sale as more often the real cheapies are not advertised
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 16:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Mike...
Take Swagmans advice and get your ICC... its worth it weight in gold x 20 if going to foriegn parts... check out the RYA web site for places in your area... as for navigation theory, they used to do night school classes run by the Local Councils at rates much cheaper than the Schools... check out at your local library for details... Coastal to Ocean Yachtmaster...
Dunno how big a project your looking for or how much your looking to spend but I can recomend this class/make... built like tanks.. sail like a dream... and its just down the road...lol
Hurley Boats for sale UK, Hurley Used boat sales, Hurley Sailing Yachts For Sale Hurley 30 at Brough on the Humber - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 04:03   #7

Boat: Hartley South Seas 42'--Karma
Thanks for all the tips, I got myself booked on a course next week. We are based in East Lothian.
Mike.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 15:35   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I never knew certification was required on your own boat in Europe or the Isles.
regards
Old 13-04-2010, 16:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I never knew certification was required on your own boat in Europe or the Isles.
regards
UK no.... Europe yes.... thats why we don't go all in...lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 02:36   #10

I did Yachtmaster theory, VHF and First Aid at Port Edgar. I can't recommend any practical courses in Scotland, but I did a spectacularly good competent crew with 'Southern Sailing' school in Southampton.
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Scotland