Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 07:40   #1

Hi from Portugal

Hi All,

Here for knowledge and fun, no boat yet but love the water and looking for adventure with less pavement. have past experience with motorboats but new to sailing. looking to get something small maybe trailerable.

Living in Central Portugal but I am from Canada. Lived on both Coasts of Canada now mostly in Portugal and Ireland.

I have EU citizenship so long haul goal would be to sail back and forth in a bigger liveaboard. Figure I will start with a small boat see how I go on the Atlantic coast. If I live to upgrade then the decision is easy. The fun is in trying.

So I am here

Hi Hows it going?
Larry Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hi from Portugal

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Larry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Bem vinda!

I sailed NYC to Azores earlier this year. My wife flew out and met us in the Azores then we spent a month in Portugal. Really enjoyed it!

There are at least a couple of other members in Portugal, including boatman61 (boatie) and stingo.

Where in central Portugal area you?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:29   #4

Boat: Lagoon 40

Absolutely loved Portugal! We picked up our boat in La Rochelle, France and sailed her back to the US. I have finally started to put video together of the experience/trip and was re-living the portion in Portugal just last night. We are looking forward to going back there! If you are interested in the videos - links on my blog. S/V Midnight Sun II and III

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:04   #5

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in the center coast Nazare Leiria. It's a great area Alcobaca, Batahlha, Fatima, Obidos, Caldas da Raihna, Sao Martinho do Porto, Foz de Arelho & of course Leiria all very close. Its Rural(I am on a farm) but minutes away cities of various sizes so never too far from something going on. My farm is @ 2 kms from Nazare.

Portugal is very nice for vacation and living. I enjoy it very much. I have never been to the Azores but have some friends there. Love hot springs thermals so on the list for sure.

Neil I will check out your blog will be great to check out your visit. I have traveled all regions in Portugal last few years so small compared to Canada a 4 hour drive hear gets across the country not so in the great white north.
Lord Tunderin' Gord how was the fishing this year!
Hey Belizesailor how long did it take you from NYC?

Hope everyone is well! looking forward to being here
Old 10-11-2019, 05:41   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Miranda View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in the center coast Nazare Leiria. It's a great area Alcobaca, Batahlha, Fatima, Obidos, Caldas da Raihna, Sao Martinho do Porto, Foz de Arelho & of course Leiria all very close. Its Rural(I am on a farm) but minutes away cities of various sizes so never too far from something going on. My farm is @ 2 kms from Nazare.

Portugal is very nice for vacation and living. I enjoy it very much. I have never been to the Azores but have some friends there. Love hot springs thermals so on the list for sure.

Neil I will check out your blog will be great to check out your visit. I have traveled all regions in Portugal last few years so small compared to Canada a 4 hour drive hear gets across the country not so in the great white north.
Lord Tunderin' Gord how was the fishing this year!
Hey Belizesailor how long did it take you from NYC?

Hope everyone is well! looking forward to being here
Sounds great. We visited the area: Nazare, Obidos, Caldas da Raihna...liked it very much.

The thermal springs at Furnas, Sao Miguel are interesting since the village is built all around them. Most are way too hot for bathing, but some locals do use them for cooking.

We departed NYC in May, too early to run along 40N...with regular fronts still rolling across with hurricane force winds. Decided to sail to Bermuda to avoid the weather further N...4 days. That was good because we needed to make some repairs and disembark a couple of crew who werent working out. About 10 days in Bermuda. Bermuda to Azores (Horta) was 3 weeks in absolutely perfect conditions...only motorsailed once as we approached Horta.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:36   #7

I always wonder about new crew and compatibility, email and phone is great but traveling is another. Not sure your reasons but Captain is always right on his/her boat!

Thats great I am glad you had 3 weeks of nice sailing thats my goal longterm go Nazare - Azores - Canada East coast thinking about to the area by New Brunswick / PEI. Spend winters here summers there. its worked great each time I do it. For now its by plane.. in time by boat!

Nice to hear a range from experience.

Obidos is a cool area I am doing some learning on the lagoon there.

Here are some some music links to Portugal Band/Singer may bring back some memories

Hey Neil I saw your blog and videos very nice site your new boat is BOSS! If you have not heard of Deolinda or Ana Moura have a listen you will enjoy!

Deolinda

Ana Moura

Tags
Portugal