Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 17:43   #1

Boat: Nautitech 44.2
Hi from NZ, finally a member...

My name is Philippe. Please do not hold my French citizenship against me - I also have an Australian passport to compensate. My wife and I live on the water since 2010. First on a 1990 Beneteau Oceanis 430 that we refitted from head to toe. In 2015, as we could not envisage life any other way, we invested in a 2008 Nautitech 44.2, that we named TAO (philosophy about one's path in life going with the easy way in harmony with nature). Que du bonheur (bliss)!

After two crossings of Atlantic and Pacific oceans (once with each boat) we are now in New Zealand. What a wonderful country and people... and we are pleased to be there, away from all that covid madness. I just hope they will let us stay as long as it take for travel to get back to "normal".

I am (was) an electronics engineer and 5 years ago I installed a lithium battery on TAO. Not finding a suitable BMS to protect my battery and to manage energy on board I have, over the years, designed and built my own. At the request of sailing friends, it is now a commercial product, but I think Forum rules do not allow me to talk about it.

The Cruisers Forum has been for me a great source of responses for any question or problem I encountered over the years. I have been very reluctant to becoming a member in any forum as I have so many times observed very interesting topics being sidetracked into useless polemics and fights of egos. It seems that here the forum rules are generally respected and it is time for me to contribute a bit of my experience and knowledge as the opportunities arise.

Just a note: there is so much activity in so many sub-forums that I have to figure out a way to locate the threads where I could contribute. I already subscribed to Electricity and lithium forums, but there is so much I have learnt over many live aboard years that I could occasionally contribute in other threads... but I do not want to subscribe to all forums as I would be swamped by emails! How do you do it without too much time investment?
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 18:21   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hi from NZ, finally a member...

Welcome to the forum...looking forward to your input and knowledge.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 23:18   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

g'day Phillipe, and welcome to an active participation in CF.

Quote:
I already subscribed to Electricity and lithium forums, but there is so much I have learnt over many live aboard years that I could occasionally contribute in other threads... but I do not want to subscribe to all forums as I would be swamped by emails! How do you do it without too much time investment?
Everyone works out their own methods, but what I do is not subscribe to anything. I simply go to "New Posts" every time I log in, and then start checking the titles of the listed posts... not the forum. I can then pick and choose which ones appear interesting and follow them as I like.

All too often new threads are posted in the wrong forum and can be missed by those who rely upon subscription or "forum cruising". We have a number of engineering types who contribute, and many non-engineers who have relevant experience to relate on technical subjects. I look forward to your contributions. However, you may find that your best efforts will be in areas where your many miles of cruising experience are of more use than your professional talents. Not so many techo types with your level of miles and oceans to temper their book learnin'

At any rate, welcome to the forum.

Jim
Old 09-06-2021, 23:24   #4

Thanks for pointing out he "New Posts" feature. I will check it out
Old 10-06-2021, 01:44   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Welcome Philippe! Can’t wait to show you around our part of New Zealand before we leave on our grand adventure.

As Jim says, New Posts is like a box of chocolates - you don’t know what you’ll get but you’re sure to find some to your liking. That’s how I saw this thread! I also subscribe to threads I want to keep track of, as well as participate, but I’ve turned off all notifications so as not to get bothered when I’m not in CF.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Philippe.

I also -begin my daily reading, with a scan of "New Posts", looking for interesting thread titles.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:09   #7

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Yup same here ,lots of good people here .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtao View Post
My name is Philippe. Please do not hold my French citizenship against me - I also have an Australian passport to compensate. My wife and I live on the water since 2010. First on a 1990 Beneteau Oceanis 430 that we refitted from head to toe. In 2015, as we could not envisage life any other way, we invested in a 2008 Nautitech 44.2, that we named TAO (philosophy about one's path in life going with the easy way in harmony with nature). Que du bonheur (bliss)!
How do you do it without too much time investment?
Welcome, Philippe. you have nice boat. Also I planing buy new Nautitech 40 open, because don't have money to buying used I go to brand new Standard specification with all electronic (330000 € +-)
2 x B&G Triton Displays 3x B&G Zeus 9"
B&G Autopilot, B&G V90 VHF
B&G AIS Transmitter/Receiver
B&G H50 wireless VHF unit
but need this electronic because boat be in charter 3 years to return investment. and also I go with a 24 or maybe a 48V system.
do you like your boat. what is + and negative side
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:44   #9

Sounds like I found someone to kick start my learning curve on CF. Thanks @fxykty - looking forward to catching up with you.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
do you like your boat. what is + and negative side
Thank you for your welcome.
The short answer is: I like it very much with not many negatives in relation to my needs. What is your list of requirements when choosing a catamaran? May I suggest you post that question in the Nautitech?? / Multithull?? forum, like that my answer will benefit others.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtao View Post
Thank you for your welcome.
The short answer is: I like it very much with not many negatives in relation to my needs. What is your list of requirements when choosing a catamaran? May I suggest you post that question in the Nautitech?? / Multithull?? forum, like that my answer will benefit others.
ok tell your experience on Nautitech?? / Multithull?? forum
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 18:28   #12

Quote:
ok tell your experience on Nautitech?? / Multithull?? forum
Did not find your thread in Multihulls forum or in latest post!
Old 04-10-2021, 18:43   #13

Boat: Cavalier 32

Welcome to New Zealand. Maybe see you at an anchorage sometime
d_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 18:46   #14

Looking forward to it. We are in and out of B.O.I.
Old 18-10-2021, 13:36   #15

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mac View Post
Welcome to New Zealand. Maybe see you at an anchorage sometime

I know your message was for the OP Phillipe, but my wife and I keep a steel Hartley 32 - 'Ella' - in Evans Bay Marina and are members of the Evans Bay club.

We might catch up with you some time too - if Jacinda opens up for double jabbed travellers.

We hope it wont be too long until we can return.

Missing the Grandchildren as well as Wellington.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags