Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 19:31   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: HI From Non Sailing Miss Who Has Just Purchased A Catana 42!

Miss

If you haven't done so already, I would sugest that you start your search on outfitting your boat in the achives in this forum, then get a few books that some have sugested.

When you have exhausted those outlets, ask specific question's and start new threads with those questions in this forum. General questions of "How do I out fit my boat" will lead you in all kinds of directions that may not be right for you. For example a liveaboard will have very different answers than a weekend sailor. An around the world sailor is going to be different than a costal crusier. Someone who bounces from marina to marina is differnt than one that live on a mooring or anchor. So until you know the questons to ask it will be better to do as much research as possible.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:37   #17

Boat: Catana 42

Hi
That is really good advice!!! I am already trying to "pear down" as we will be flying to the boat so will be limited right from the onset.

Our plans - hopefully - are to sail the boat for two weeks early next year once she is built. Then we come home to finish the work year before we will be ready to go. Catana yard have agreed to house our boat until August when the boat will need to go to Turkey for a boat show. We will need to organise delivery and then storage for final months so will need to research a delivery captain / persons and then storage in Turkey.

Thanks again for advice = really appreciated.

The Miss
misscatana.com
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Miss

If you haven't done so already, I would sugest that you start your search on outfitting your boat in the achives in this forum, then get a few books that some have sugested.

When you have exhausted those outlets, ask specific question's and start new threads with those questions in this forum. General questions of "How do I out fit my boat" will lead you in all kinds of directions that may not be right for you. For example a liveaboard will have very different answers than a weekend sailor. An around the world sailor is going to be different than a costal crusier. Someone who bounces from marina to marina is differnt than one that live on a mooring or anchor. So until you know the questons to ask it will be better to do as much research as possible.
Hi Rocketman

we will be several of the above at different times but I will certainly follow your advice by defining my needs and questions first.

Cheers the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 15-09-2013, 21:15   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
Having camped for many years I have tried my hand at this type of washing machine but always wonder how sailors do the sheets ????

Cheers
the Miss
Likely, you won't be too long between ports where laundry services are easy to find. Rakuflames made a good point about advice from people. Especially here where suggestions are given by people who have never sailed had a sailboat or there primary hobby is not sailing. Take everything with a grain of salt and as you hang around like minded people at harbors, you can see what they're up to.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:39   #20

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:

Having camped for many years I have tried my hand at this type of washing machine but always wonder how sailors do the sheets ????

Cheers
the Miss
We take them into a laundry, towels too. Sometimes we do them ourselves, sometimes have the laundry do them -- it just depends on the cost.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HI From Non Sailing Miss Who Has Just Purchased A Catana 42!

Hi... I like these for dry storing of clothes, bedding etc... small boat person...
I also keep/use one for my laundry...
You will need...
1/ A CD player
2/ A CD of good Flamenco music
3/ Detergent
4/ A bottle of good red wine and a glass.

Method;
1/ Fill the bin 1/2 full of warm water and add required amount of detergent, mix well.
2/ Chuck in your dirty clothes.. same rule as for machines less is better.
3/ Pour generous amount of wine into the glass
4/ Turn on CD player and wait for 1st track
5/ Kick of shoes/thongs, step into tub and....
BOOGIE...............

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:42   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Hi
That is really good advice!!! I am already trying to "pear down" as we will be flying to the boat so will be limited right from the onset.

Our plans - hopefully - are to sail the boat for two weeks early next year once she is built. Then we come home to finish the work year before we will be ready to go. Catana yard have agreed to house our boat until August when the boat will need to go to Turkey for a boat show. We will need to organise delivery and then storage for final months so will need to research a delivery captain / persons and then storage in Turkey.

Thanks again for advice = really appreciated.

The Miss
misscatana.com

i'm not sure you can fly with everything you need unless you have your own private jet -- but you could ship things to your destination. You don't want to overload the boat, but a few creature comforts will go a long way. For instance, do you have a DVD collection? I went to an office supply store and got tyvek envelopes, and put all my DVD's in those instead plastic cases. You wouldn't believe how much space I saved.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:55   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for live aboard you need to be comfortable.
i have used that which i used in n my homes from 1990 until present and into future--i am comfortable with my items i use and they fit on boat.
you do not need marine quality frying pans rodlmao--you do not need marine quality bs as it is only the same stuff you use in home with a 400 [percent mark up and lesser quality. boaty stuff is made for the excited weekend sailor with no clue.
oops did i say that out loud....lol
use that which makes you happy and comfortable as it is going to be a lifestylle change you experience. you will understand as you go..each experience is awesome and some sukk but they become awesome, with proper perspective..

btw--welcome and congratulations---post many pictures as you go---

another btw--bumfuzzles are great souls and still growing--they did what folks told them they would die doing and didnt die but proliferated and flourished. some folks dont like that.

and --what boaty says..he is smart.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:06   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and --what boaty says..he is smart.
ASS...

Old 16-09-2013, 07:11   #25

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Get the washing machine. My wife was so happy when we finally installed one after 6 years of owning the boat.

It is far better to have them installed in a new boat than to try and add one later.

Also... Don't worry too much about the diesel engine course. You have two engines and the chance of the two of them failing at the same time is miniscule. Never happened to us once in more than 35,000 nm

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:06   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi... I like these for dry storing of clothes, bedding etc... small boat person...
I also keep/use one for my laundry...
You will need...
1/ A CD player
2/ A CD of good Flamenco music
3/ Detergent
4/ A bottle of good red wine and a glass.

Method;
1/ Fill the bin 1/2 full of warm water and add required amount of detergent, mix well.
2/ Chuck in your dirty clothes.. same rule as for machines less is better.
3/ Pour generous amount of wine into the glass
4/ Turn on CD player and wait for 1st track
5/ Kick of shoes/thongs, step into tub and....
BOOGIE...............
Great idea and you get spotless feet too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post

Also... Don't worry too much about the diesel engine course. You have two engines and the chance of the two of them failing at the same time is miniscule. Never happened to us once in more than 35,000 nm
I bet it's loads of fun driving a cat with one engine pushing way off of center-line.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 23:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Great idea and you get spotless feet too

I bet it's loads of fun driving a cat with one engine pushing way off of center-line.
No problem at all. Do it most of the time to help keep the engine hours down. Usually just switch both engines on for docking or on the rare occasion we need maximum power.

Old 17-09-2013, 03:25   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
No problem at all. Do it most of the time to help keep the engine hours down. Usually just switch both engines on for docking or on the rare occasion we need maximum power.
Yup... useful tool for dealing with constant head winds on Cat delivery's across the Med to Turkey and the Marmaris...

Old 17-09-2013, 03:45   #29

Hi from the Miss

Thanks for all the cool advice
Yes to pictures but as "MissCatana" is yet to be born there may be some wait. On my own personal site I have posted some pictures but these are stock standard - this fact does not stop me looking at them during the day and dreaming...

I have become immersed in the world of sailing but am yet to get my feet wet!

Advice re the washing machine has brought up discussion at the kitchen table. We can not believe how expensive it is to purchase direct from the catana yard. I work in accounts so I get that things marine are expensive but shesh! Our thoughts are you could get a water matter and washing machine for less outside of France.....? I could be pulling the chain so to speak so keen to hear the thoughts of more experienced hands

We don't have CD's but do have hard drives loaded with music and an Ipad with all my favourite tunes. I was at a job interview (second job in preparation) and they asked me a secret re myself - I said that music is my passion plus I love Trance when working!

Re one engine vs two I do hope the Captain and I will have some idea on how our girl works.

Cheers

the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
Old 17-09-2013, 08:40   #30

Yes the washing machine will APPEAR expensive to buy from Catana. That is because it will, as you say, be a marine specification which always adds to the cost but you also have to factor in running marine spec electrics to the machine, the extra cabinetry in which it fits, and the plumbing for water supply and the thru-hull to get rid of the water. That's why it appears expensive.

Because we didn't fit one from new, we did manage to buy a twin-tub machine (wash tub and spin drier) for US$99 in Panama. So that was cheap but the downside was it had to have its own cabin to be stored in and it then had to be lifted into the cockpit every time it was used.

Of course if you are only planning to sail short distances and to stay in countries where you can get laundry service once a week then don't bother getting a machine. If on the other hand you plan to visit the other 99% of the world, then you'll definitely appreciate being able to do your own laundry aboard.

Tags
catana, purchase, sail, sailing