Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2009, 06:52   #1

pirate Hi From a Wannabe Sailor in Jacksonville, FL!

Hi everyone. This is a fantastic site! I am new to the cruising scene, or should I say desperatly trying to break into it...I have always dreamed of cruising, and my 4 years onboard an amphibious warship solidified that dream (not the warship part, but the endless blue horizons of course and all of the amazing ports). I went to law school and now am trying to pursue any avenue that will get me into the sailing world. So any advice would be very welcome!
crazyoceandream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:41   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37
Welcome aboard COD. This is a great place to "break into" the cruising scene. The sailors here can offer so much advice on any topic posted, I have yet to be dissappointed. I can tell you that it is best to ask specific question, but before you do, search previous threads since many many questions have already been asked and answered. On a more personal note, I am also a lawyer and have a solo practice. While the stress of making overhead is certainly a downside, the ability to tell the secretary that the wind is blowing 15 kn out the South and I won't be in today or the next few days is priceless. So, tell us about your sailling experience, do you own(ed) a sailboat, what waters do you intend to sail? I live in Mobile, Alabama and sail Mobile Bay and along the coast of the Northern Gulf of Mexico. I consider myself a guppy in comparison to many of the sailors here that have crossed oceans, but I will be glad to help in any way possible.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:55   #3

I currently don't own a boat, but my boyfriend and I spend just about every weekend boat hunting and watching. I have only sailed once in my life, so it will be a learning experience! I have been putting aside every extra cent I can to put towards a sailboat. We are currently looking at something between 38-42 as the ultimate goal will be to become liveaboard cruisers. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on so when we have the boat we can jump right in! Currently we own 2 houses, so hopefully the recovery hits soon so we can downsize and get started on the real dream.
Old 26-08-2009, 08:33   #4

Boat: Endeavour 37
Pick up the book, ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, by Tom Neale. My girlfriend and I are moving on board my (our) Endeavour 37 this weekend. I have found that while I can financially take care of a house and boat, there seems to be only enough time for one or the other. There is a long "to do" list and after we have both worked all day and decompress for a couple hours after work, there is not enough time or energy to go back to the boat and work. On the weekends we have the best of intentions, but if the weather is good it's awfully difficult to work rather than sail. One of the best things about sailing is whether you have sailed only once or hundreds of time, there is always more to learn and discover. We joined the local US Sail and Power Squadron. They are civic organization dedicated to improving the skills and knowledge of recreational boaters. They offer classes on basic seamanship, piloting and navigation, both basic and advanced. The information provided in these courses are essential to cruising. They also offer courses that are not as essential, but extemely helpful, such as diesel mechanics, cruising, sailing, GPS, weather, etc. The Squadron is also a great place to find folks who have boats that need/offer crewing opportunities.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:00   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome o the forum
There are lots of ways to go about reaching your goals. Classes would be a great way to learn some basics, Charters too, and reading! A good old fashion "Chapmans" for bedtime reading helped me a lot.
The ocean is too wonderful for words. The sealife, waves, sky, stars, moon, sunsets etc etc...people have written books about it, even the best of writers only capture a fraction of what you see, smell, feel. I hope you are able to get out there soon!
Godspeed to your dreams,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:58   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
A great way to get started is to take sailing lessons and then to join one of these timeshare sailboats. I think that the commitment is usually one year and the price is less then the cost of a slip. What you are talking about is a real lifestyle change. Going from a house based life to a boatbased life is quite a change. If after a year you find that the timeshare was not enough boat time then you can start lookign for what you want in a boat. Welcome to CF it is a great place with real freindly people.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 12:25   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Crazy,
Welcome aboard! There are a million books that you could read but since you said that you've only been sailing once then I'd recommend basic sailing classes and the book "Start Sailing Right!" Your experience aboard ship should be of value if you stood watches on the bridge as JOOD or OOD.
Below my signature line is a search engine that will answer a lot of questions you may come up with.
regards
Old 26-08-2009, 19:51   #8

Boat: 2004 Hunter 33' Legacy
Hi Cozyoceandream and welcome
As a fairly new again boat owners, Hunter 33', and parked in Jax near NAS, we are loving it and planning on cruising Florida as soon as the weather allows. in the meantime, just getting used to our LEGACY and her equipment. would welcome you to spend a day in the St. Johns if you are itching to get your feet wet. give us a holler back.
spanky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 06:41   #9

Thank you for all the advice. I'm looking for the recommended books and the websites look they will be great resources as well.
Old 27-08-2009, 11:17   #10

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Welcome aboard, we left CT last November and ended up here in Jacksonville with our sailboat. We love it, however, I think after the storm season we will contiue south. Good luck with your plans, by the way this is a great board full of helpful information...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville