Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 01:39   #106

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Might want to google it. It's a pretty amazing fiberglass replacement used on a few boats in the past decade... But probably a lot more in the future.
I did and got a geology lesson but remedied it by adding "fabric".

You're right it is interesting stuff. What'll they think of next.
Old 19-10-2022, 02:12   #107

Basalt cloth sounds far more interesting than Rock wool, which we’ve been using since the ark floated.
Old 16-11-2022, 10:50   #108

Boat: Schionning, Solitaire 1520, 50'

I was rereading some of your comments. So, I wanted to clear up a couple misconceptions.
1. My younger brother Phil, his wife Marianne and my brother's best friend Brian are building the boat.
2. We have a few others who will be helping. For example, a 16 year old who will be helping as much as he can. He plans on going to college online from the boat.
3. My role is filming and sound editing, mixing epoxy and small jobs like that.
4. Phil and Brian regularly mountain bike, scuba dive and snow ski. They are both very physically fit. Marianne exercises and walks regularly.
5. Brian is an electrician.
6. My brother does wood working among many other things and has some nice equipment in his garage. He built his own small boat when he was 10 or 11 years old. Our family calls him our Renaissance man, because he is good at everything. For example, he has also written 20+ fantasy novels.
7. They have no illusions about the amount of work they are taking on.
I invite everyone to watch our Youtube videos, Sailing SV Lynx. There are 6 as of today, plus some older dive videos. The most recent one "what is coming in our kit" is getting a lot of interest for a new channel.
I will be happy to answer any questions.
Old 16-11-2022, 10:55   #109

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What I don’t understand is why are you just here promoting your videos? All you do is post and tell people to look at the YouTube. This is an advertisement. It shouldn’t be allowed.
Old 16-11-2022, 11:28   #110

Boat: Schionning, Solitaire 1520, 50'

If inviting people to watch our videos is not allowed I won't do it anymore. I thought people might be interested. As for posting, I am only trying to share what we are doing, because I am not an experienced sailor, so it is all I can share. I read a lot of posts. I just can't knowledgeably post most of the time, so I don't. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old 16-11-2022, 13:34   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda S View Post
If inviting people to watch our videos is not allowed I won't do it anymore. I thought people might be interested. As for posting, I am only trying to share what we are doing, because I am not an experienced sailor, so it is all I can share. I read a lot of posts. I just can't knowledgeably post most of the time, so I don't. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Hi Rhonda, I’ve been interested in your project since you first posted here but never took the time to visit your YouTube videos ...until now!
What a great project, I look forward to watching the progress over the next year and am now a subscriber.
Pete.
Old 16-11-2022, 13:44   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda S View Post
As for posting, I am only trying to share what we are doing, because I am not an experienced sailor, so it is all I can share.
Unfortunately CF might not be the best place to share your journey. It is predominantly bitter old men looking to take down anyone who gets out and has a go in life.

However, if you can ignore the negativity crowd there are some real gems here. Good luck with your adventure.
Old 16-11-2022, 14:32   #113
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
Unfortunately CF might not be the best place to share your journey. It is predominantly bitter old men looking to take down anyone who gets out and has a go in life.

However, if you can ignore the negativity crowd there are some real gems here. Good luck with your adventure.

“ bitter and twisted “ oh dear
Old 16-11-2022, 15:16   #114

Well, I could be wrong. Maybe I’m out of line. I don’t know. It just seems like you’re not sharing the project here. I would be interested in reading about it here. I don’t want to have to go to a video format. I don’t want to have to leave the cruisers forum to go look at it. You’re just bleeding people off of this site to go look at a YouTube which earns you dollars. Not many. But s few And at lays the groundwork for a much larger channel once boat launches. To me, that’s a commercial enterprise.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Maybe I am speaking against popular opinion. Maybe people enjoy being directed to YouTubes in the thread rather than having the information in the thread. I don’t know.
Old 16-11-2022, 16:09   #115

Quote:

I notice a bit of Statler and Waldorf here from time to time.
Old 16-11-2022, 16:41   #116

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well, I could be wrong. Maybe I’m out of line. I don’t know. It just seems like you’re not sharing the project here. I would be interested in reading about it here. I don’t want to have to go to a video format. I don’t want to have to leave the cruisers forum to go look at it. You’re just bleeding people off of this site to go look at a YouTube which earns you dollars. Not many. But s few And at lays the groundwork for a much larger channel once boat launches. To me, that’s a commercial enterprise.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Maybe I am speaking against popular opinion. Maybe people enjoy being directed to YouTubes in the thread rather than having the information in the thread. I don’t know.

Well if I want a boat build thread I just look up pretty much any you start :-)
Old 16-11-2022, 18:09   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well if I want a boat build thread I just look up pretty much any you start :-)
Point well taken. Ha ha ha.
Old 17-11-2022, 01:12   #118

Quote:

Could not have said it better myself
Old 17-11-2022, 07:23   #119

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
“ bitter and twisted “ oh dear
a yes, anybody disagreeing with idiotic ideas..."bitter & twisted",sure!
Old 17-11-2022, 07:25   #120

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:

However, if you can ignore the negativity realistic crowd there are some real gems here. Good luck with your adventure.
fixed it...

Tags
boat