Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 07:27   #1

Hi

Originally from Nova Scotia Canada, in the Process of moving to Prince Edward Island. So I am fairly ignorant to sailing and cruising so I signed up for a sailing course that starts in a few weeks. Don't own a boat other than a half built kayak that went on the shelf when my career finally took off; didn't have the time for it living between 2 Provinces.
I have taken some boat safety courses as part of my lifeguard training decades ago, ok about 17 years ago, and I have a wife and 2 kids to consider.

My little story...
When I was a kid and up until I got married at 24 I thought of a boat and owned a skeleton of a 32 foot Norwegian Whaler I got as a wedding present. Well my house needed a lot of work and a boat to finish on top didn't look realistic, I also didn't have any place to put it where it would be sheltered so I had to turn it down. Since then I stuck to kayaking/canoeing fishing and set my sights on a nice piece of land in the woods. Anyway things didn't turn out that way; jobs got scarce in my area contracts came and went then I finally got a break with a big BUT, it is in another Province, which is an Island, where large tracts of land are expensive and generally not for sale.

It dawned on me that an Island is a great place to own a boat so I did some preliminary research and reading, found a basic sailing course, wife was interested (more interested than a cabin in the woods, she really doesn't like dark secluded places. Too many wearwolf movies I think).

So I figured I would be budgeting 50k to 60k (What I planned to spend on land), large enough for 4, small enough for me (solo sailing), needs a head and shower for long retired trips, and well liveable I guess. Of course I am not planing on long term livingaboard until after the kids have moved out. I figured a C&C 38 Landfall would be sufficient, did I do good?

So my questions for the community would be;
I have seen a few boats similar to the C&C38 for less than 30k, what would you expect for that price?
Is 50 to 60 a reasonable budget?
What should I be looking for in terms of a "training vessel"? (The C&C38 sized boat is my goal not my start).
Where can I find maps showing useable canals in Atlantic Canada?
Places I would like to go generally tend to be North like; Iceland, Norway, Ireland, Scotland, England, Baffin Island, Labrador Coast, etc... Any special considerations I should be looking into for those kinds of seas?
I see many 38 to 45 foot boats with 2 double cabins, are there any that have 1 double and 2 single cabins that are not 50 60 feet, and of course not brand new?
Any other suggestions for a boat that can be sailed solo but also able to home 4 people for a short time? I also liked the Morgan 38 and Cal 39.
Well; take care.
TangoKVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 08:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hi

Hi...welcome to the form. A lot of information and questions there. Maybe ask a question at a time in a suitable categories. Perhaps start a thread in the "Monohull" category.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 09:01   #3
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Hi and welcome from the left coast
Old 24-04-2016, 09:27   #4

Hi and welcome.

The "what boat should I buy?" question comes up so frequently, I think the mods outghta write a good generic answer and make it a sticky.

Since they haven't, yet, here's a good example, a little tongue in cheek perhaps:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-155958.html

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 13:06   #5

That's a good read,
I know the what to buy question is a pain to hear for anyone who knows a topic but atleast i took the time to research to know what i am looking for generally. Besides t though what about cold climate considerations? Most of the cruisers I read about are carribean snow birds and sunshine people. Although I am sure my wife will insist on a trip south I am looking forward to seeing glaciers whales cold rocky shores and what not. But I suppose I should break it up and ask in the more specific threads.
Old 24-04-2016, 13:35   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well welcome here. It is a bit of a tall order you present. Personally I would not be in a rush to buy any one particular design for your area and plans until your research takes you down to the docks to see what kind of boats are available locally and what local folks are choosing to cruise with in your area. Strike up a conversation or two with folks who are cruising and/or living aboard there for good insights. We ALL LOVE to talk about our boats! In your area you'll be motoring a fair amount, so I'd be looking closely at the diesel, and the access to it. It will be cool (or cold!) and rainy sometimes, so I'd be looking at a good hard dodger. It can be stormy, I'd be looking at a boat with a good rep for sea-worthiness and a comfortable motion. You want cabins, I'd be looking at a center cockpit design, or one with a quarter berth in a cabin. A really well-maintained older boat would probably be most likely to meet your needs and budget... Walk the docks and see what is there already... I think the locals have probably figured this out already... in the mean time, get a little FUN boat to learn on and sail it every breezy day you get. Your love of sailing will later help direct your decisions that research can't predict. Best of luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:51   #7

Also read everything Silver Donald Cameron has written. He's great, and local to you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:46   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

+1 for Silver Don. Great guy, great writer, and great sailor.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 24-04-2016, 16:01   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Can you send some photos of the cruising grounds once you get settled in? I have never been that far north and I've always wondered what that area is like!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 12:17   #10

Does anyone know where the "DIY/Home Builders" Section is? I got a question but cannot find the appropriate place for it. Builders just seems to have big name builders like C&C Batenue etc..