Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2008, 19:33   #1

Boat: Freedom 45 - Casual Monday
Hey there from Marietta, GA

This is our first post, though we have been enjoying many "boat search" discussions. What an education for us! We've already met some of the most truly knowledgeable, friendly folks. Can't wait til we find the "it" boat and get out there. Our boys thought we were kidding when we said we would leave a PO box when they graduated. Now just a little over a month away, they might just be realizing we are serious.
We are shooting for a window between old enough to afford to do it right and just too old.
Intersting vessels so far: Celestial 48, Hylas 45.5 or 47, Peterson 45, Bristol 4?, Freedom 45, Tayana 47. What are we missing?
Julia (& Bill)
LittleWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 19:54   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Julia & Bill,

What are you missing? The boat--Welcome aboard. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board. I do not know if I made it to the too old, but have been playing with doing it right for too many years. People say there is a point between when the kids are gone and the parents are not too old, is the right time to go.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 20:02   #3

Then we must have arrived at the starting line! Thanks for the encouragement. We may spend some time in Jax fall through winter... with one caveat... need a boat.
Julia
Old 21-04-2008, 20:28   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Julia,
Be sure to check your insurance policy when you purchase your boat. Some policies do not like it if the boat is in Florida during the hurricane season. The season ends in November. Our policy went from $700 to over $2,000 two years ago. We even needed a new survey for the new policy. Florida is nice in the winter. The further south you go, the warmer it is.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 10:20   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Welcome Littlewing,

I chose to sell my thriving business to go, and I went for 4 years with no regrets, except for one. I shouldn't have come back......LOL. I have witnessed people waiting for retirement, and then becoming ill. Also somethings just get harder as you get older. I am with the go now vote, and become a Walmart greeter at 70+ if you ever decide to return
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 11:44   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Julia and Bill,
Welcome aboard!! I, too, like Imagine stopped cruising and living aboard. Should have stayed out there.
What are you missing? You are missing looking at smaller boats. Those that you have chosen are monsters in my opinion. What will you do with all that room?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 12:41   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the bristols have shallow draft options which may be desirable for florida and the bahamas.
Old 25-04-2008, 20:40   #8

Wow, what a warm welcome!
Yes, John, I agree that the insurance situation may influence where we keep her during the winter. We have friends on the St John's and if that doesn't work out, Brunswick looks interesting. Our "loosely" constructed plan is to keep working for a couple of years so I can become vested and keep the boat within 6 hours of Atlanta so we can make frequent weekend trips. When I am off during June and July, my husband can work from the boat as long as he can get on the web. That should allow us to go south and have extended time to cruise the islands. We may even take leaves of absence for a year to do a long cruise.
JohnL, well, first of all, we are sort of big. Also, we really hope to share our experience with our two sons and their friends, our folks from time to time (even if it's at the dock for Thanksgiving), so a nice saloon and the extra stateroom are non-negotiable. We did see a nice Whitby 42, but again, it seemed like a tight pair of shoes. We have had some passionate discussions with friends who are of the same mind as you. As for now, we will keep an open mind. If you know of a smaller boat which is "roomy" below, esp. with generous headroom, please pass that along.
It seems like a nearly impossible feat to find the right combination of features in the right price range which makes one's heart sing. I am just so thrilled to hear from everyone who took the plunge and were glad they did.
Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your stories.
Julia
Old 25-04-2008, 20:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the bristols have shallow draft options which may be desirable for florida and the bahamas.
We saw a really lovely one on Lake Lanier, but probably out of reach financially. I think it had a centerboard. Is this a maintenance issue?

Julia
Old 01-05-2008, 17:36   #10

Boat: Not yet, but I am dreaming on it now.
Send a message via Yahoo to Whyznheimer
:-)

I am new 2, but a Big Howdy from Kissimmee, FL 2 U!!!!!
Whyznheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:32   #11

Hello and welcome Julia (& Bill),

Jill and I spent a couple of years on lake Lanier. Have you considered a smaller boat? Less $$ to purchase and maintain easier to handle.

Just an idea.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 22:43   #12

Boat: Hunter 280 AliMar
Hey Bill & Julia!

I just purchased a sweet lil Hunter 280 and have at Lanier. Great place to sail if you have to be land locked.

I'n new here as well and can tell you the people are great. Need advice? I can highly recomend Never_Monday (Pat). Although he could have taken some serious money out of my pocket he imparted some of the best info I could ever hope for.

Welcome!

"If the wind is free then why is sailing so dang expensive?"
Richkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34   #13

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Send a message via Yahoo to Knucklehead
Live Aboard

Hi,
I am going to do the same, but, I have run into a wall with acquiring insurance for a boat that I have yet to purchase.
The issues have become:
Live Aboard
Cruising below the Bahamas - my plans are to cruise the islands and central America for 5-8 years.
Limited Experience on what I intend to purchase - 473 Beneteau
Any thoughts out there?
I am thinking of adding an operator with tons of experience and at the end of the first year, have only myself.
Am I making sense????
knucklehead
Mcdonough, Ga
Old 06-05-2008, 09:38   #14

Boat: 38' sedan bridge. 10' Snark :)
Just thought I'd say hello in this thread. Just registered here. We're currently power boaters on Lanier (have a sedan bridge). It's on the market and we're looking to switch to a sailboat!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:35   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Little wing,

I just took a glance at a Whitby42. If space is a problem then take a look at Gemini cats. It is still a good boat for Florida, and the Bahamas. About the same price range to would be my guess.

I am on the St. Johns River about 42 miles inland. Drop me a line if you get this way again.......John
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote