Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 23:02   #1

Send a message via AIM to HSEDuster Send a message via Yahoo to HSEDuster Send a message via Skype™ to HSEDuster
Hey, from US Navy in Japan !

Hey guys, just introducing myself. Im active duty in Japan right now, but will soon be in Bremerton, and really want to buy my first sailboat up there. I'm actually getting out around October/November and would really (and I mean REALLY) like to sail solo for a while.

Which is actually why I even looked into a sailboat message board, I want to get away from all the icky things you have on land and stick to the ocean for a while, so if anyone has any tips for living and sailing for a while, I would love to hear about it.

Well, guess its time I start doing a little searching huh?

Thanks guys
HSEDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 00:01   #2

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Welcome

Dont know where Bremerton is but i will google and find out.All you are going to need is water and a boat an the rest you can get from this site.A wealth of imformation and great for getting answers and educated opinions on all types of boats.Best of all is getting info. from all over the world.Goodluck hope you find water in Bremerton and welcome from an Aussie.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 00:07   #3

Send a message via AIM to HSEDuster Send a message via Yahoo to HSEDuster Send a message via Skype™ to HSEDuster
Bremerton is a naval base in Washington state. Its around Puget Sound, and apparently a matter of a couple hours from Seattle. Needless to say, the nice thing about the Navy is that there is plenty of water wherever we go haha.

Im torn on getting a boat though. I dont want a new one, but its more or less size than I am looking for. I want to be able to sail at least some modest seas, but would like to be able to make trans-ocean crossings (I say ocean because I intend to cross several).

I've already spent several hours on the boards here reading threads and am finding a lot of information, I hope to have my heart set on a boat and and equipment by the time I get there.

Oh and we hit three ports in Australia, Perth, Sydney, and Brisbane, and i have to say, Australia is by far the best country in the world! At least I was convinced of that after a week on Bondi Beach...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:22   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSEDuster View Post
Bremerton is a naval base in Washington state. Its around Puget Sound, and apparently a matter of a couple hours from Seattle. Needless to say, the nice thing about the Navy is that there is plenty of water wherever we go haha.

Im torn on getting a boat though. I dont want a new one, but its more or less size than I am looking for. I want to be able to sail at least some modest seas, but would like to be able to make trans-ocean crossings (I say ocean because I intend to cross several).

I've already spent several hours on the boards here reading threads and am finding a lot of information, I hope to have my heart set on a boat and and equipment by the time I get there.

Oh and we hit three ports in Australia, Perth, Sydney, and Brisbane, and i have to say, Australia is by far the best country in the world! At least I was convinced of that after a week on Bondi Beach...
Welcome aboard:

You may not know this but you live in one of the finest cruising grounds in the world. I kept my boat on Vancouver Island for a year and wish I had been on her the whole time. Even then I don't thinkI would have scratched the surface of the wonderful places to visit. From there you can go down the coast to Mexico or trans ocean to Hawaii. Mahina has a very good website to look at Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction. There is also a book that I can't remeber the name of but lists great cruisisng boats for under $50k or some such figure. And by the way I remeber my first trip to Bondi Beach with two beautiful Swedish lassies going topless. Yeah best country in the world.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard HSE! Do you have a budget for a boat? With that information it will be easier for people to come up with ideas for you.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:41   #6

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
HESDuster,

Welcome aboard. The nice thing about cruising on a Naval Vessel is you do not have to do everything yourself. You have been on many an ocean and nothing is as beautiful as a sunrise or sunset at sea.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:16   #7

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Welcome aboard, Duster!

Hmmmm... US Navy in Japan and bound for Bremerton... are you stationed on the USS Kitty Hawk by chance?

I proudly served as an airdale on her flight deck with VS-33 (Screwbirds) three decades ago. What a life!

I suggest you check-out a sailboat or two from the special services office on base. They cost next to nothing to rent for a day.

As stated above - the San Juans are a fine sailing destination - not to mention the Straits of Georgia & Queen Charlote Sound between Vancouver Island and the mainland of British Columbia and north to Alaska.

You should have a good selection of seaworthy boats to choose from.

Happy hunting!

Carry on,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:20   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha HSE,
Welcome aboard! Lots of former Navy folks here. I sailed my boat to Bremerton from Hawaii back in the early 80s. It was a 35 foot ketch. I recommend from 32 to 36 feet on deck as about the right size for a single or couple. Fiberglass hull but steel is ok. Aft cockpit and cutter rigged. The Pacific Northwest is a great place to cruise and explore. You'll love it there. There is a Roberts Spray Design steel boat in the boat ads right now that I'd look at if I were in the area.
Good luck in your search. Bremerton is a great place but look at the Seattle boat market because that's where most are for sale. Port Townsend has quite a few also.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:32   #9

Boat: Tartan T4400
MWR used to have a decent sailing program in Yoko. Small boats but fun. Always found some with a bat there looking for crew.

Mike
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 20:37   #10

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome aboard Duster, former Navy corpsman here...First introduced to sailing compliments of special services in Gitmo Bay many years ago. Advise given to me that has served me well. Keep it small and simple.
Great group here willing to share wide and varied knowledge.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I don't believe there are any MWR sailboats in Bremerton unless things have changed for the better since the '80s (very likely). I went through a total refit and refuel of Bainbridge there at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard until '85.
Get as much sail training as you can at MWR sailing schools if they are available.
Good luck.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:51   #12

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Navy vets are common place in here! Former Aviation Ordnanceman aboard the USS Constellation (CV-64).

Bremerton will give you excellent resources and spots for sailing. Shame you're not sailing from Japan and going south. Soooo much wonder in the Pacific!

Welcome aboard friend! You will find some great people, super advice and honesty no matter what topic and you'll make new friends too.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08   #13

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, we just got back from sea trials. Such a warm welcome, nice to know people are so friendly and knowledgeable and even have some things in common.

Yes, I am stationed on the Kitty Hawk, and shellback, I too am an AO, second class as of now. I've ran into more than a few people who sailed her in days gone by. I guess I shouldnt be so surprised on a ship thats nearly 50 years old. For those who havent seen her lately, lets just say her age is starting to show a bit, and thats being polite.

I havent had a chance to try the MWR sailing vessels here at Yokosuka, maybe I will this week, at least have a chance to look around. Mainly because we are always at sea during the nice summer months, and in port for the crappy winters. I dont know what Bremerton offers, but if worse comes to worse, Ill see what I can find out up there in the way of learning and having fun.

Dont have much of an established budget yet, Im wanting to see how into this I will get. Ive always loved the water and use to be a powerboat fan, still am with some things, but making a sail to say... Hawaii, well, gas prices arent what they use to be now are they?

Look forward to learning more and meeting more people! Sure are friendly, hopefully I might even be able to meet some of you guys in my wind bound future!
Old 10-07-2010, 14:18   #14

Boat: Roberts 38 steel
another X

Po 3rd class adams USS Fiske DD-842 checking in ...
proud new owner of a 38' steel roberts, see link at bottom ...
always nice to find old sailors ... my old tin can was in the Red Sea in '67 tracking Russian subs after the 6 day war in Egypt...Delivered arms secertly to the English in Aden.... what a time.

Anyway I had always liked being on the water, I would sit for hours off duty perched on a vent stack on the fantail and watch the ocean. In '73 while working a bad job on Ascension Island an Australian named Laurie Piper came through on a 26' ketch. We got drunk, I asked to go with him on to Brazil and next thing I know I'm sailing 2200 miles to Fortaleza Brazil... that did it, I liked this way of traveling. It's taken me several jobs and 2 wives to get to the point where I can actually cast off in 2012,... meanwhile I'll enjoy the warm waters of the Sea of Cortez and always remember my old shipmates wherever they may be ....
may the winds be at your backs lads,
cheers, miller

Sea Of Cortez Yachts/Yates Del Desierto S De RL De CV (San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico)=
millstb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Japan, navy