Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2009, 16:14   #1

Hey Folks!

I've already taken the liberty of posting in Other forums. I'm notorious for doing things in the wrong order, so I guess it makes sense that i'd introduce myself after dropping my bombs

Anyhow!

I'm starting with the basics here. About to start building a 26 foot sail boat, As soon as I have prepped the work space I will start taking pictures and keeping a log - likely start my own web page. either way, I will try to keep you people here informed in exchange for your advice and general commentary.

After that I am going to stare danger in the eye and take the bugger out to sea. Where seems to be up for debate at the moment as my initial idea seems to be insane. haha.

About me?

Born in Canada. Raised between Carabobo Venezuela, Miami, Fl, and Ontario, Canada.

I've travelled just about everywhere by air. Asia, Europe, North / South America, and Africa.

Married to a beautiful Venezuelan lady.

I am part of a design team for a major car company. I am also a freelance architect.

My father is a carpenter and I've been passionate about the trade since a very young age.

I've built a number of non-production cars that are on the roads of Canada today. If this boat thing works out I'll have to consider building an aircraft :P

I'm generally a good spirited person, stubborn, but with good intentions.

Anyhow - would love to get to chatting about all kinds of things. I hope everyone is well, and thanks to the makers of this forum! its pretty great.

Regards,
Joseph.
Jazzthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 16:43   #2

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Welcome Joseph - yep - a great forum! I like your plan - I don't know if I could build a boat. I have renovated 2 - my current boat and a 25 footer. Both were in very run down condition cosmetically but structurally very sound. It did get me dreaming about building - but time, space and a lot of sailing prevents it!
Portobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 11:22   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Joseph,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and posting with questions and getting opinions.
I once, many years ago, visited Maracaibo on a Navy Cruiser. Very interesting place.
Good luck with your plans. I agree with some who have posted that it would be cheaper and easier buy a boat that will meet your needs rather than build. I do understand your desire to build though. I've gone through that stage. Since I'm much older I don't feel I have that kind of time any longer but I won't try to discourage those who feel the need.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote