Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 21:03   #1

Boat: Island Trader 46
Hey All

Finally, Finally. After years of looking, working, looking and working it has finally happened. I just retired and purchased a boat the following week, an IT 46, what an oxymoron. LOL. As our lives have changed and grandchildren started appearing, my thoughts have dramatically changed likewise, about sailing off to wherever with my wife. My sons called the boat a beast, not really what they envisioned in a sailboat. Another called it an apartment with sails. One lady called it a slow sailboat, but a fast moving house. Grandchildren have mentally forced me to surrender my lifelong dream. Please shed no tears for wifey and I. We moved from Savannah Ga to the Southbay in LA. as a live aboard. Soooo, my surrender of a dream of sailing has come back tenfold. A motorsailer was a way to split the difference for us. I worked overseas for years and learned to be rigidly flexible. Being somewhat flexible has truly benefited, now I have a crew in training and a young able work force= free labor.
eric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 23:28   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Hey All

Welcome and good luck with whatever adventure presents itself to you.
Old 29-04-2017, 03:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, eric.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 04:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Welcome to the community. I was searching for information about an "IT 46" and found nothing. ....'IP 46? Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 29-04-2017, 07:38   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 42 MY

Greetings
Welcome aboard!
Old 29-04-2017, 08:47   #6

Hudson, sorry my bad, she's a 1984 Island Trader motorsailer. Is motorsailer a contradiction in terms? haha. Regardless, is home.
Old 29-04-2017, 08:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Many motorsailers and to many they are the best boat to have, often make great live aboards
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 09:00   #8

Thanks for the thought 64. Wasn't purchased on a whim. It just worked out that way with children and grandchildren involved.
Old 29-04-2017, 12:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12 View Post
Hudson, sorry my bad, she's a 1984 Island Trader motorsailer. Is motorsailer a contradiction in terms? haha. Regardless, is home.
No problem,- I just didn't think of the "IT" for Island Trader. I was just scanning some photos and saw the 1984 46' at Long Beach, Alimitos Bay, Ca for sale. Is this the one you bought? It sure seems well appointed and with many refits and up to date maintenance.

The history of care from former owners seems to be the most important feature with the purchase of an older boat.
Old 29-04-2017, 12:14   #10

Hey Hudson that is the one. Plenty of room. At first will be a 95-5. 95% living, 5% sailing. Lol
Old 29-04-2017, 12:22   #11

Btw, the survey and systems were all very good and the pics and history accurate, that was a big driver towards her. I dont fool myself, things will break. But is that not true with anything?maintenance, maintenance, prolongs the life of anything,,,even me. Hahahahahaha
Old 29-04-2017, 17:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12 View Post
Finally, Finally. After years of looking, working, looking and working it has finally happened. I just retired and purchased a boat the following week, an IT 46, what an oxymoron. LOL. As our lives have changed and grandchildren started appearing, my thoughts have dramatically changed likewise, about sailing off to wherever with my wife. My sons called the boat a beast, not really what they envisioned in a sailboat. Another called it an apartment with sails. One lady called it a slow sailboat, but a fast moving house. Grandchildren have mentally forced me to surrender my lifelong dream. Please shed no tears for wifey and I. We moved from Savannah Ga to the Southbay in LA. as a live aboard. Soooo, my surrender of a dream of sailing has come back tenfold. A motorsailer was a way to split the difference for us. I worked overseas for years and learned to be rigidly flexible. Being somewhat flexible has truly benefited, now I have a crew in training and a young able work force= free labor.

Love to see some photos. Congrats.
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 05:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

ISLAND TRADER 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6-a-14108.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 07:38   #14

Hey Gord, I appreciate the help. I read that post and so many others at so many different forums. Please find this boat on Yachtworld, 1984 Island Trader 46, Los Alamitos CA. Hopefully she is one of the better ones. Researched endlessly before I pulled the trigger.
I retired from the Operations and Maintenance field. Any product I believe is based on it's owners or previous owners along with documented history of service and upgrades etc. Unfortunately I've seen to many boats for double the price that were floating dumpsters with sails, with owners doing nothing more than unlocking the cabin, if they remembered how. The only perfect boat I'm aware of is most likely the one that the person owns. LOL.
Everything is pros v cons. I pulled out my scale and weighed them, and determined my threshold of pain.